PDA

View Full Version : home highlighting

starry night
02-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Hello lighting guys. Even though I'm in the landscaping business, I have never studied or done any lighting work. My wife and I are going to be building a new home-- one-story (modern type with high hip roofs); 9 ft. ceiling inside so the the eaves will be fairly high.) I want to highlight the exterior. Is there a consensus as to whether this size house looks better with spotlights from below or soffit lighting shining downward?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Everyone will have a slightly different opinion regarding this, and we are all the better for it too! The best solution is one that is custom designed by a lighting pro who you know and trust. Find someone local who's work impresses you and go with them. If that fails, look just outside of your area. Eventually you will find a designer who knows just how to bring our the best in your home while complimenting your lifestyle.

SmartWaterApps
02-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Everyone will have a slightly different opinion regarding this, and we are all the better for it too! The best solution is one that is custom designed by a lighting pro who you know and trust. Find someone local who's work impresses you and go with them. If that fails, look just outside of your area. Eventually you will find a designer who knows just how to bring our the best in your home while complimenting your lifestyle.

Hi James,

I just sent you a message to the email on your site. Just a head's up as they sometimes land in 'spam'!

Cheers.

steveparrott
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Hello lighting guys. Even though I'm in the landscaping business, I have never studied or done any lighting work. My wife and I are going to be building a new home-- one-story (modern type with high hip roofs); 9 ft. ceiling inside so the the eaves will be fairly high.) I want to highlight the exterior. Is there a consensus as to whether this size house looks better with spotlights from below or soffit lighting shining downward?

I prefer uplighting such a house for a couple reasons:

1. Soffit lighting does not light the eave itself since they are recessed into it. Uplights can provide an even illumination of the eaves, making them an illuminated element in the design.

2. Ideally, you will also use uplights to illuminate the roof line to a certain extent. This preserves and reveals the shape of the house in the dark.

I suggest you go through the CAST photo gallery (http://www.cast-lighting.com/installers/) and see examples of homes that may be similar to yours. Browse through 'Objects to Light'/'Architectural Style' - Colonial is a good place to start.

starry night
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for your advice Steve. That's the kind of suggestions that I was looking for. Looking at your gallery, I can see the advantages of the uplighting. In fact, seeing the great photos, makes me want to go into lighting. :)