PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer Question

Pressedun
02-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm considering buying a dump trailer with the optional landscape gate to use for hauling my WB in as welll as use it for stone/mulch. Has anyone used a dump trailer for hauling equipment? What are your thoughts? Would you do it again?

I only have space for one trailer at the moment, I will get more use out of a dump trailer but really need a trailer for my WB. Just wanted to see what people that have done this think...

Pressedun
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
No one? Does it sound like a dumb idea? I feel like it's fairly practical...

BufalinoLand
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
could go either way, i have 6 trailers, but you re in a different boat, no room for another trailer, sounds good to me, i just bought a Moritz 14' dump trailer to haul my skidsteer around in and do firewood, im into versitility, let er rip, post a pic when you got that gate on

Landrus2
02-02-2011, 12:28 PM
The down side is the landscape gate will not hold heavy weight:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Pressedun
02-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys, I think this may the be the route I take - gotta think about it for a little while.

Barrett Landscaping
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
could just put the mower in the truck? the landscape gates on those trailer look as if dumping some materials could be an issue.

Jpocket
02-02-2011, 04:31 PM
The down side is the landscape gate will not hold heavy weight:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Very neat. Obviously not the best for either, but the best of both worlds. A great option fo some one who can only have one trailer.

Pressedun
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
could just put the mower in the truck? the landscape gates on those trailer look as if dumping some materials could be an issue.

I put my WB in my truck at the moment and I'll tell you, it's a pain in the butt. I can't haul any debris away and I have to unload everything (push mower, trimmer, blower, ramps, hedge trimmers and walk behind) every single time I mow a place. Time consuming and just getting old.

I do about 2 days of mowing and the other 3 are for a variety of landscape projects which is why I think a dump trailer will be better for my needs.

Pressedun
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Very neat. Obviously not the best for either, but the best of both worlds. A great option fo some one who can only have one trailer.

That's what I thought too, I figure when I'm able to get space for another trailer then I'll just get a regular landscape trailer and I'll have a dump trailer already.

Barrett Landscaping
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
if you are going to have room in the near future for another trailer do and use the dump trailer for mowing but i would get the regular ramps instead of a flimsy landscape ramp that wont hold a bobcat when the time comes.... or you could get a heavy duty tandem landscape trailer

Pressedun
02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
if you are going to have room in the near future for another trailer do and use the dump trailer for mowing but i would get the regular ramps instead of a flimsy landscape ramp that wont hold a bobcat when the time comes.... or you could get a heavy duty tandem landscape trailer

I won't have room probably for at least 2 years if not more. As for the Bobcat, I didn't use one at all last year, my landscape installs aren't large enough to use one. If I ever needed to use one, a buddy of mine has a Tandem Trailer that I could borrow. Thanks for all the input man!

wellbuilt
02-03-2011, 12:37 AM
For small equipment a small trailer would be better .
I jammed my skid and Ex in a dump trailer and it worked ok ,
but it is so easy to load on a good equipment/landscape trailer .
Plus the dumps are 3500+ pounds and suck up alot of fuel just driving empty. John

Pressedun
02-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Went to a reputable Bri-Mar dealer and got the low down on everything I needed to know.

Basically the landscape gate is a $300 option. If I were to go this route, I would buy the regular gate as well as it fits on the trailer just like it does normally. Yeah it would be a pain in the butt to switch gates every time I wanted to use it for a different purpose but it makes the trailer incredibly versatile. I like the idea and the only thing that's making me think twice is the price, to be expected from a dump trailer however.

Barrett Landscaping
02-04-2011, 07:49 AM
you can always go used an buy the gate after the fact as well....

Swampy
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
I see two trucks in your sig. Why don't you look at turning one into a flat bed with a landscape tailgate with a removable dovetail. So you could put your walkbehind on the back of the truck.

Pressedun
02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
you can always go used an buy the gate after the fact as well....

I guess the only problem there is that they weld two extensions to the back trailer posts so you can latch the landscape gate higher up. It wouldn't be as simple as buying the gate after the fact, have to take it to the dealer and get it welded on - probably cost more than the $300 extra out the gate.

Pressedun
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I see two trucks in your sig. Why don't you look at turning one into a flat bed with a landscape tailgate with a removable dovetail. So you could put your walkbehind on the back of the truck.

I thought about turning my Dodge into a flatbed but it's a shortbox and wouldn't function that well. The Chevy is only 2WD which part of the reason I'd like a flatbed is to eventually put a V-Box sander on it and use it for whatever (which is the reason I bought the Dodge, wasn't planning on plowing but I had the opportunity to subcontract for guy). Looks like a trailer is going to be the way to go.

Nick's Lawn Care
02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I own a dump trailer with a landscape gate and i hate the gate. It would be nice if you mainly haul equipment with it but if you dump most of the time forget it and just use some light weight 3000lb ramps for $250. The gate is a pain, you have to take it off almost all the time, even with dumping a lot of mulch or stone. I bought a dump trailer with one and i am going to get rid of it and make a shorter one. Also the gate is real heavy at the dump so you almost need two people to take it off.

This trailer will be for sale in a few months, im looking to upgrade.

Pressedun
02-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I own a dump trailer with a landscape gate and i hate the gate. It would be nice if you mainly haul equipment with it but if you dump most of the time forget it and just use some light weight 3000lb ramps for $250. The gate is a pain, you have to take it off almost all the time, even with dumping a lot of mulch or stone. I bought a dump trailer with one and i am going to get rid of it and make a shorter one. Also the gate is real heavy at the dump so you almost need two people to take it off.

This trailer will be for sale in a few months, im looking to upgrade.

I was hoping to find someone that was or had used one like you, I appreciate the comment and its something I'll keep in mind. I need to look at my situation more closely. How much do you think you'd ask for it? Looks like the 5x10?
Posted via Mobile Device

wellbuilt
02-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Ive bought 3 dump trailers 1 10,000 $1800 2 12,000 $ 2200 / $2400
The 12000 s i just bought off the side of the road.
The 10, 000 Was a craigslist buy and needed tires and some work on the lites and paint .
One 12000 looked new and the other one was in good shape .
All three had a asking price of 4500+-
I would look at ringo trailers there dumps are nice and they are in pa.
They build them there . John

Nick's Lawn Care
02-04-2011, 11:55 PM
I was hoping to find someone that was or had used one like you, I appreciate the comment and its something I'll keep in mind. I need to look at my situation more closely. How much do you think you'd ask for it? Looks like the 5x10?
Posted via Mobile Device

Its a 5x8, for a relitivily small company like what you have it will be perfect. I have gotten out of lawn care and i still offer landscaping but i am trying to get out of that and just do tree work. For tree work this trailer is way to small. But for someone like you who doesnt have anything that really dumps this will be perfect, its not too small, and its not too big. If you dont already have a trailer you can use this one. In addition you might not always need a dump because im sure that you cut more grass than do landscaping, but when you do have a mulch job you can fit around 5 yards in this.

I have repainted the whole trailer with rino lining, added sides, put a new battery in it, and replaced all the lights with LED. PM me for a price.

mag360
02-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I'll second the aluminum ramps idea for a wb. Much easier to deal with vs swapping gates and you can just get straight ones (not folding) and mount them as side boards.

MDLawn
02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I have a 14ft 14k dump and use lightweight ramps for the WB mowers but also have the heavy duty ones for equipment. The rampgate seems like more of a PITA if you regularly use the dump. The only better option would be to find a ramp gate that also has a barn door option, I've seen one on here like that and it would make dumping so much easier. However those with be HEAVY to put up and down as most dumps don't have ramp assists like an eclosed trailer does. My trailer itself weighs 3800#'s so yea its gonna eat fuel, but it works for me. Don't get sucked in to buying a small dump either, I'm also not telling you to go blow $7k on a new one. I had a 6x10 and ran out of room so fast with that so I upgraded by selling the dump and landscape trailer I had (wanted my garage space back). I'm happy with the setup but as soon as I get more room I'm probably getting another trailer for the mowers.