PDA

View Full Version : Why DC?

irrig8r
02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I know, this info is 2 years old, but I'm trying to figure out why they would release LED assemblies to the LV lighting market that are designed to run on DC.... and still have this on their website.

(They'll run on AC, but consume more power with 10% less output they say.)

http://solloslighting.com/pdf/WP/Low-Voltage-ProLED.pdf

jshimmin
02-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Diodes (LED) fire on DC. Components fed AC, have to invert it internally to DC for the diode. The garage door opener interference I saw was corrected by feeding DC instead of AC to the system. The interference came from the internal inverters, not the LED.
I've done two all DC systems recently. Mainly because it was a solar fed battery plant as the power source. There was no need to invert to AC, then do it backwards in the LED module.
Line loss is the biggest advantage to AC runs.

Illumicare
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Gregg. LEDs run on DC as a rule. Inside most LED drivers is a rectifier that will convert AC over to DC, then the power is conditioned to provide a constant current and the correct forward voltage to the chips. Running LEDs on DC power generally is more efficient and results in somewhat higher light output.

All Illumicare LED lamps will operate on 10-14 Volts AC or DC. This makes them perfect not only for landscape lighting installations, but also for use on yachts, boats, RV's and other 12V DC applications.

irrig8r
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM
James, is it true they run brighter on DC with less power consumption?

Illumicare
02-02-2011, 01:43 PM
James, is it true they run brighter on DC with less power consumption?

Generally speaking, you will get somewhat brighter output and somewhat higher efficiency (lumens / watt) with DC. This depends a lot on the efficiency of the driver.