PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Track...

Matt Hermann
02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
How do you guys keep track of your clients?

Do you have a word document?

Loosleaf paper?

Notebook?

I'm just starting to get into the landscaping buisness, and as it grows, i want to keep good track of my accounts. Was just wondering what way you thought was the best way..

Matt

wvaughn7
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Most guys use some sort of software, but until you grow a little bit I would just use an excel spreadsheet. Thats what I am doing right now and you can keep name address phone and whatever else you want.

booboy
02-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Iphone is what you really need. I have all customer info on it. I even do all my invoicing on it with the invoice to go app. When im done a one time job i send the invoice right to them that instant. It has made things so much easier.

Matt Hermann
02-03-2011, 08:09 PM
so what happens when your iphone crashes? I have all my info on my itouch, but just want a backup just incase

xclusive
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I use Quickbooks Premier but I believe you can download quickbooks simple start for free and it allows you to track about 20 clients.

lyndont
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Blackberry is good I can take payment with visa and it goes right to my paypal
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I know I'm in the minority, and I know you'll get a lot of different answers and opinions on this subject, but I use a notebook. To me, it's the least time consuming, easiest way to keep track. Not to mention MUCH cheaper than a laptop and software. Not that I'm against software, but I am just old fashioned, and......well........it works. Man has been using pen and paper for a LOOOONG time.

Here is what I like about the way I do it: I can keep my notebook in the truck during the day. If a customer happens to be home when I'm servicing that property, and wants to catch up on payments, pay ahead, etc, all I have to do is grab my notebook and see how much is owed, and then write down how much they pay. Simple. Then, at night, I can take my notebook inside and use it to catch up on the day's work. At billing time, I just get out the notebook, and make out bills. I can take it in at a restaurant at lunch time, and work on things while I'm waiting for my food. You get the picture.

Computers, phones, etc. all work, and have neat features. But they are also all suseptable to failure. Your computer can crash, your phone can fail, etc. A notebook could get lost or stolen, but so can anything else.

Yes, I'm a simple guy....

mowerbrad
02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
All of my customer information is saved in Quickbooks on my computer. I carry a clip-board with a spread sheet on it in my truck, then when I finish mowing a customer's property I can write down the date I was there and what/if anything extra was done. Then at the end of the month all that information gets transferred to quickbooks for billing. This also gives me both electronic and paper copies of all info I will need.

It may not be the best way to do everything but it works.

kilgoja
02-03-2011, 11:47 PM
that's weird my post was deleted...oh well i guess i can't help you then..goodluck lol

watsmi57
02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
i have a notebook planner/calendar. write it all down... at least the schedule for clients.

lyndont
02-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah I hear ya I use a receipt book to give to clients from walmart, a calendar planner to set schedule the only good thing about my blackberry is I can use this site and occasionally take a credit card payment if I need to and its very cheap compared to comdata or other credit card services.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
02-04-2011, 07:54 AM
that's weird my post was deleted...oh well i guess i can't help you then..goodluck lol

Here, let me help you out:

Posted by kilgoja:
i'm the same way...i'm just a one man operation so at most i cut 5-6 yards a day...i have every customer's name written down in a notebook with their number and address and how much i charge them and how often i cut their yard(weekly or bi weekly)....i have all their names and numbers in my cell phone....and i have one of those notebook sized calendars and i write the 5 or so names i'm supposed to cut each day in the day/box i'm supposed to cut their yard...i put two little boxes by each name...one to check off after i cut the yard and one to check off when they've paid for that day of cutting...it all fits into a business type folder thing i got at walmart for like $10...has like 5-7 different sections in them with labels and velcros shut lol...i also keep an invoice and receipt book in there to keep track of it for tax purposes...and a place to keep receipts for taxes like buying gas or blades or whatever business expenses come along...you can get the invoice/receipt things at walmart for cheap

I found your post over in the Green Industry Discussions forum, where you put it. And don't feel bad........I did the same thing.

walker-talker
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I used notebook paper to get started the first few years. Did my invoicing on those small 2-part carbon less copy forms they sell at Office Depot. Then I spent $1000 for Lawn Monkey and have been using that ever since. It does most and more than what I need done. I have had issues with support, but I really like the program....it's easy to use.

kilgoja
02-04-2011, 07:53 PM
ShooterK2: Here, let me help you out:

I found your post over in the Green Industry Discussions forum, where you put it. And don't feel bad........I did the same thing.

ahhh..that's weird...how did it get over there? lol...thanks man

Roger
02-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Put all your information into QuickBooks, and limited info into your phone if necessary. You will need something to manage your finances anyway, and QB is a good tool to use.

I manage my schedule with an iTouch app, ToDo. It has plenty of functions for simple scheduling. I have about 45 names, plus many other related tasks (e.g. periodic trimming). ToDo has repeats, so any customer can be set up for weekly, every-other-week, or whatever schedule you choose. It syncs with an online program, so you get a backup of the data.

WheatBookkeeping
05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Any media that works for you is a good thing. Any, and all, media and record keeping devices are only as good as their backup. Any media is subject to failure or damage. So backup often.