PDA

View Full Version : Licensing in Florida

LGL
02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Ok, so how many of you hold PCO's, LCLM's, etc.....I recently attended the LCLM workshop to acquire the required CEU's and now I am studying for the test. How difficult is this test and is there money to be made by having it? Trying to expand my business a little, this looked like a good idea, seeing as I have customers interested. Whats everyones experience like out there?

Landscape Poet
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Ok, so how many of you hold PCO's, LCLM's, etc.....I recently attended the LCLM workshop to acquire the required CEU's and now I am studying for the test. How difficult is this test and is there money to be made by having it? Trying to expand my business a little, this looked like a good idea, seeing as I have customers interested. Whats everyones experience like out there?

I have the Limited. In regards to the test and how hard it is, well, the test is pretty easy to say the least if you have a basic understanding of the materials and pay attention to the candy feed course they give you.

Is there money in it. Yes to a extent. You can use your license to provide round up service to the beds. Which those that do not possess the license are not suppose to be able to do. This should give you a competitive advantage but it does not because so many care RU illegally anyway.

In terms of caring for the beds and the plants that they contain. It allows you to earn money only if you know what you are looking for. You can set up with your clients a agreement for you to treat with oils to prevent pest issues. You can also notify them that they have pest once identified and offer to treat the issue. This allows you the chance to make extra money on properties while you are already there.

It is only as valuable as you make it.

Patriot Services
02-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Lclm and Bmp. Just enough information is given at the class to be dangerous. There is a lot of money to be made. But make no mistake you cannot put down 1 drop of Round up without the license which also requires proof of insurance with a pest rider. The money is made in using the right products and correctly identifying the problem. Remember you cannot apply pest to turf with these certs only ornamentals and beds. I grew some beautiful grass last season with straight fertilizer and OM. Thick healthy grass with proper irrigation does a pretty good job of controlling weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

LGL
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM
As I mentioned, I sat through the workshop last week, very informative. It was my understanding that to obtain the LCLM, you only need the insurance, the CEU's and to pass the test, no rider was mentioned. Seems like they mentioned that in regard to another cert. Maybe the PCO? Either way, I don't like doing things without being legit, so I will be taking the test and moving forward. I appreciate the input.

Patriot Services
02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I was unwaware too until my app went to state after the test. No big deal my insurance agent just faxed the change to the state. When I got my policy I had to list the scope of services and I couldn't say I apply pesticide yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

promolawns
03-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Going to take the class and test this Saturday for my limited. A little worried, because some guys say its and easy test while others say its not. I guess i will find out myself.

Ric
03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Lclm and Bmp. Just enough information is given at the class to be dangerous. There is a lot of money to be made. But make no mistake you cannot put down 1 drop of Round up without the license which also requires proof of insurance with a pest rider. The money is made in using the right products and correctly identifying the problem. Remember you cannot apply pest to turf with these certs only ornamentals and beds. I grew some beautiful grass last season with straight fertilizer and OM. Thick healthy grass with proper irrigation does a pretty good job of controlling weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

IMHO every Yard Boy should have a Roundup License and spray weeds as part of the Service. Weeds are the number one issue that homeowner are looking to control. With the Roundup License you can legally advertise you do weed control, however not selective weed control in turf.

Patriot Services
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Like any test prep get a good nights sleep. Have all your paperwork, passport size photo, copy of GL ins, checks for fees. Pay attention, answers are pretty much spoon fed. Remember how to add fractions. Read the little book attatched to a bottle of Roundup.
Posted via Mobile Device

bugsNbows
03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
IMHO every Yard Boy should have a Roundup License and spray weeds as part of the Service. Weeds are the number one issue that homeowner are looking to control. With the Roundup License you can legally advertise you do weed control, however not selective weed control in turf.

+1. Besides that, many PCO companies (like ours for example) do not want to mess with non-selective RUp type apps. Go for it boyz.

Ric
03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
+1. Besides that, many PCO companies (like ours for example) do not want to mess with non-selective RUp type apps. Go for it boyz.

Bugs

You can say that again, There is no Money in spraying weeds unless you are cutting the grass. Then the Roundup license is necessary to stay competitive with other Cutter who offer weed control. No weed control and the next guy gets the job because he does weed control.

I keep a Glyphosate tank ready to go with a 300 ft hose reel on a trailer. All I need to do is hook up and go to the job. But I do a few burn outs for sod companies and a buddy who does slit seeding. Those are jobs that take the Commercial L & O to do legally. I have found LI 700 that I add to my Glyphosate will get a quicker burn down without the expense of QuickPro. But it still does work as fast as QuickPro. Quick Pro has a mixed life of less than 10 days according to Monsanto. But I have found straight Glyphosate to stay good for 6 months. There for I mix 50 gallons at a time. I believe the LI 700 doesn't effect mixed life. When burning out yards for sod companies I only need to see a little response in a day or so, so I can re-spray any misses.

I might add that Glyphosate in it's many forms, is an fatty Acid and very Corrosive. When purchasing pumps and equipment look for the Roundup Ready label on that equipment, it means that equipment can handle acids and will hold up better with Pesticides.

Is there money in Glyphosate?? You bet ya. But it takes some marketing in area we have not discussed on Lawnsite. I offered to give a seminar on Chapters 482, 487 and 355 as well as 5E-14 of Florida Law and point out the Loop holes and Market advantages of having some of those licenses. But true to form the average yard boy had no interest.

zturncutter
03-24-2011, 10:06 PM
"Is there money in Glyphosate?? You bet ya. But it takes some marketing in area we have not discussed on Lawnsite. I offered to give a seminar on Chapters 482, 487 and 355 as well as 5E-14 of Florida Law and point out the Loop holes and Market advantages of having some of those licenses. But true to form the average yard boy had no interest."

Ric, why don't you stick an add in the local classified under the lawn care heading, all the lawn guys in the area are looking at that at least weekly. You might get the response you need that way. Like I have said before I am in if you can get the response you need.

Ric
03-24-2011, 11:13 PM
"Is there money in Glyphosate?? You bet ya. But it takes some marketing in area we have not discussed on Lawnsite. I offered to give a seminar on Chapters 482, 487 and 355 as well as 5E-14 of Florida Law and point out the Loop holes and Market advantages of having some of those licenses. But true to form the average yard boy had no interest."

Ric, why don't you stick an add in the local classified under the lawn care heading, all the lawn guys in the area are looking at that at least weekly. You might get the response you need that way. Like I have said before I am in if you can get the response you need.

Zturn

We have each others phone number and live close. Any time you're ready we will have a beer or coffee and talk shop. I'll be sure to have some reference material for you. We know so many people in common I am surprised we never ran into each other before.

As far as trying to do a big advertising campaign, I would rather Advertise something I could make money on. There is no money in giving seminars unless you have them line up and waiting.

rob7233
03-24-2011, 11:37 PM
All this, doesn't do us Lawn Turds up here in O town a damn bit of good.

Guess were just GU (Geographically Undesirable) being in metro Orlando and that make us out of luck. No chance for a Ric class...

Ric
03-25-2011, 09:10 AM

Guess were just GU (Geographically Undesirable) being in metro Orlando and that make us out of luck. No chance for a Ric class...

Rob

Tim Smith is in your area and offers a similar Commercial Certification opportunity that I offer. But once again he isn't going to do all the work and give it to you. You have to get off dead center and put forth some effort. Just like Driving a few miles south to learn something that MIGHT make you money. Of course once given the plan you have to put it into motion.

Ric
03-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Rob

First reply I was trying to be nice. But Your post made me mad and I have to let off some steam.

I don't have a problem if you feel a class I give isn't of value to you or if you feel it isn't of value to anyone. BUT don't tell me you are Geographically Undesirable. I drove all over this state to attend College classes while still running a company full time. You are just like Lawnman Scott who ask if I could move to Pensacola so He could work under my license. I sorry but I get real Pissed at self centered fools who expect the world handed to them on a silver platter.

Landscape Poet
03-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Rob

First reply I was trying to be nice. But Your post made me mad and I have to let off some steam.

I don't have a problem if you feel a class I give isn't of value to you or if you feel it isn't of value to anyone. BUT don't tell me you are Geographically Undesirable. I drove all over this state to attend College classes while still running a company full time. You are just like Lawnman Scott who ask if I could move to Pensacola so He could work under my license. I sorry but I get real Pissed at self centered fools who expect the world handed to them on a silver platter.

Ric,

Please explain what either Rob or myself would have to do to work with Tim to obtain our license.
I believe that I would be more serious about doing so than Rob at THIS point in time , but please explain.

Would it be possible for example if I gave my referrals ( which are thousands of dollars each year) to someone like Tim for the time being....and he would train me on the properties that I refer....allowing actually training to occur on properties that we are familiar with or is it that we would just be labor mules for until we put our time in.

My thing, and I am sure Robs would be too, is are we actually going to learn, be taught things, or are we just going to be free labor and have a carrot dangled in front of us until you feel we have served your needs.

Please go into more details about how this type of arrangement ( through yourself or another) should work to be fair to both parties.

Landscape Poet
03-25-2011, 07:54 PM
oh and before you respond Ric,

I am not talking about some short cut to get the license...but rather actually putting the time in and the L and O operator teaching and instructing us...so we have the knowledge and background to do the job correctly as well as past the test.

Thanks,

Michael

Ric
03-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Ric,

Please explain what either Rob or myself would have to do to work with Tim to obtain our license.
I believe that I would be more serious about doing so than Rob at THIS point in time , but please explain.

Would it be possible for example if I gave my referrals ( which are thousands of dollars each year) to someone like Tim for the time being....and he would train me on the properties that I refer....allowing actually training to occur on properties that we are familiar with or is it that we would just be labor mules for until we put our time in.

My thing, and I am sure Robs would be too, is are we actually going to learn, be taught things, or are we just going to be free labor and have a carrot dangled in front of us until you feel we have served your needs.

Please go into more details about how this type of arrangement ( through yourself or another) should work to be fair to both parties.

Mikey

Why not ask ProMo how he got to sit for Commercial L & O Certification Test?? I am sure you can PM him. Bottom line is he contacted me about helping him and I was too far away, since he is in the Greater Orlando area. I hooked him up Tim and after scoring a 98 out of a 100 on the certification Test, he is now a Florida state Certified Pesticide Operator .

But realize Tim or myself are not going to waste our time on Dead Beat Yard Boys. We are more than willing to help those who are HELPABLE. In the case of ProMo, he more than deserved an opportunity and that is why both Tim and Myself were willing to help him. Just the fact he had the highest score on the certification test of all those who took that test should tell you something about ProMo and why we both stuck our necks out to help him. ProMo paid his dues and how is reaping the benefits. ProMo worked for Tim part time 2 days a month for 3 years to qualify for the test. The law doesn't say you have to a full time employee for 3 years, only that you have to be an employee for 3 years working under a CPO. BTW ProMo didn't take a penny out of his pocket on his way to becoming a CPO.

I sorry but the biggest Problem with Yard Boys is they think they know everything and are unwilling to put that extra effort forward to learn any thing new. They just expect to have things handed to them on a silver platter. Of course Just like you they B!tch about the Law not being fair and apply illegally because they feel it is their right to do so because the Law is unfair in their opinion. Maybe if they had the smarts and desire they would have paid more attention in school and gotten a better education so they didn't have to be Yard Boys.

BTW I am withdrawing my offer to help anyone get a CPO. I am just tired of all the lazy BS of every fool expecting me to march to their drum. You guys should be kissing my feet for the opportunity I WAS offering. The way I got my CPO was to hire a CPO and pay them for well over 4 years while I ran a business and attended college classes at the same time. Of course once I had the Education I qualified for Both Irrigation and Pesticide licenses.

PS Didn't you sign up for the Georgia Turf Course??? How far did get and have you taken either of the two tests? If you aren't finished with it yet, forget ever getting a CPO. You will never pass the Test.

Landscape Poet
03-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Ric, let's cover a few things.

First, I do not apply illegally, damn you are either ignorant or alzheimers has set in early on your old a$$.
I think we have covered this enough times it may have sank in by now, must be all the chemcals taken their toll on your simple mind over the years.

Now on to the course, yes, I did sign up, and yes I am most likely going to take a test soon, but am trying to absorb all the material and ensure I understand it, and not just enough to pass the test.

I doubt that I will ever be as brilliant as you though ric, as I am sure that anyone who has interacted with you on lawnsite can attest.
I am going to go and pray to my ric statue now.....as we all know he is a great man....by the way ric......way to answer a direct question, I have grown to expect nothing more out of you over the years.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
03-25-2011, 11:19 PM
I sorry but the biggest Problem with Yard Boys is they think they know everything and are unwilling to put that extra effort forward to learn any thing new. They just expect to have things handed to them on a silver platter. Of course Just like you they B!tch about the Law not being fair and apply illegally because they feel it is their right to do so because the Law is unfair in their opinion. Maybe if they had the smarts and desire they would have paid more attention in school and gotten a better education so they didn't have to be Yard Boys.

Ric,

I apologize for upsetting you in any way. I would love to meet you and especially sit in any class you may offer. Btw: I am all about getting educated and have spent considerable time in doing so. Bottom line, I respect the hell out of you.

However, I'm having trouble understanding how in the world you can make so many incorrect conclusions based on my previous (sarcastic) comment. Plain and simple, you don't know a damn thing about me, how or what I come from.

Why is it though, that you seemed to take an off hand comment as some sort of personal attack? It was never meant to be, nor am trying to ruffle "your feathers". Although Mike seems to enjoy doing that, I am not Michael.

promolawns
03-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Took the class and test this past Saturday. I feel good about it. But have to wait for the results.
C'MON GUYS GET LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!
IF I CAN DO IT MOST ANYBODY CAN.

TO THE GUYS WHO CHOOSE NOT TO---I HOPE SOME DAY YOU GET THAT FINE!!!!!! ITS NOT ANY FUN HAVING TO WATCH OVER YOU BACK ALL THE TIME IS IT!!

All it takes is paying attention in the class, and to the review right before the test and you will be fine. If you have been in the lawn business already, you should know all the basics anyway.

Patriot Services
03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I am sure you did fine. Are you going to take the BMP class next?
Posted via Mobile Device

panzafit
03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Ok, so I'm a little confused....my husband and I just started a lawn business and he REALLY wanted to be able to use Roundup, but since finding out it is illegal for him to do that we are trying to find out what he needs to do to be able to do this, as we will not do it illegally. The lawn business is a part time job that we are hoping one day to make full time (neither one of us can quit our full time jobs without first seeing that we will be able to make it).

Earlier there was talk of a "Roundup License". What is this and how do we get it and what are the rules surrounding it?

Patriot Services
03-29-2011, 12:33 PM
The real name is LLCM license. Look for a dept of ag coop office in your county.
Posted via Mobile Device

rnd
03-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Check out our website and go thru our free online demo of lawnlore - the weeds course is accredited to give 2 credits of cont. education hours.

rndsigns.com or call us at 800-328-4009 to get set up for a FREE demo of lawnlore

Landscape Poet
03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Ok, so I'm a little confused....my husband and I just started a lawn business and he REALLY wanted to be able to use Roundup, but since finding out it is illegal for him to do that we are trying to find out what he needs to do to be able to do this, as we will not do it illegally. The lawn business is a part time job that we are hoping one day to make full time (neither one of us can quit our full time jobs without first seeing that we will be able to make it).

Earlier there was talk of a "Roundup License". What is this and how do we get it and what are the rules surrounding it?

Panzafit -

Here you go, this should get you in the right direction. Call you local county extension office and see when the course is offered. Order your books prior to taking the test and pay attention to the course and you should do fine as it is a spoon feed course.
http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/pesticide_licenses/limited_commercial_maintenance.shtml

Landscape Poet
03-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Check out our website and go thru our free online demo of lawnlore - the weeds course is accredited to give 2 credits of cont. education hours.

rndsigns.com or call us at 800-328-4009 to get set up for a FREE demo of lawnlore

If you sit for the BMP course annually - it covers all the credits you need for your limited license and many extensions have been offering these classes at no cost at times. The normal cost is very little if you can not attend a free one.

bug-guy
04-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Wakulla County Extension Office
84 Cedar Avenue
Crawfordville, FL 32326-0040
(904) 926-3931