PDA

View Full Version : Which design software?

FinerCutslawnCare
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
This coming month I am looking to purchase some landscape design software. I am just wondering if anyone has any input on any software. I have looked at both pro landscape and earthscape. Has anyone ever used either one of these? Please gives some pros and cons for each of them. Thanks in advance!:waving:

MMADDUX
02-04-2011, 12:06 AM
This coming month I am looking to purchase some landscape design software. I am just wondering if anyone has any input on any software. I have looked at both pro landscape and earthscape. Has anyone ever used either one of these? Please gives some pros and cons for each of them. Thanks in advance!:waving:

Hey don't want to be mean but the search function works really well. Just type in earthscape and there are threads that talk about the pros and cons of each. I just looked myself.
BTW I like your pic thread you got some nice stuff.
Take care and good luck this year.

FinerCutslawnCare
02-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks! I have done a search and didn't really come up with anything. There was a couple but they were back before 2010, the ones that I found anyways.

MMADDUX
02-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks! I have done a search and didn't really come up with anything. There was a couple but they were back before 2010, the ones that I found anyways.

Ok that makes sense..

tigertownman
02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
If your looking for software that is good quality , but not overly expensive. Look into the Punch software , the home and landscape edition. I think i payed 4 $60 is all , which is all i wanted to pay , just to see if it would pan out. In the next few years I will be buying the Pro Landscape software, it is by far the best you can buy , but $1300 is a little steep , when I can buy a backup walk behind for that much money. But I used the Punch software last summer , I landed about 16 good sized jobs with the help of the software. Very easy to navigate and a lot of tutorials. A descent sized library of plants as well . You can pick up the software at Best Buy , or look on Amazon. And hey good luck in the future young man , make all of us seasoned professionals proud ,,, LOL ,,, !!!!!

FinerCutslawnCare
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I planned on spending around $1,000 or maybe higher for software. I have recieved a free demo from Pro Landscape and like what I have seen but I am still waiting to see what Dynascape also has to offer.

SDLandscapes VT
02-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Dynascape is the professional choice for landscape design software. It is pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for. I have used ProLandscape and Dynascape and Dynascape is the more professional choice. Dynascape will be more than $1000 and there is an annual subscription fee, but their service is good if you have a problem and then do run online clinics. I will say that getting going on the program if there is a local college or tech school that teaches a design class with Dynascape it would be well worth your time to take the class and learn all the nuances of the software before you start just using it cold to make money. Your final design product will be higher calibre with the class background.

PM me if you have questions

Dreams To Designs
02-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Finer Cuts, Pro landscape, Earyhscape & Dynascape are all so-called "design Software", but in reality they are all simply digital pencils and presentation tools. Try them all and see what will bring benefits to your business and your clients. Dynascape is a more intense program and much more expensive to give you less presentation tools than the others. Dynascape seems to be used by more landscape architects and want-to-bes, because of it's supposed greater abilities. You will have to decide on what you need from the program, how much time you will dedicate to learn and master it, as well as how much time you will use it and how it will benefit you.

I have tried all of the above mentioned software and many more, but have come to the conclusion that Pro Landscape is by far the best value for my dollar and my use. My company is primarily design and mange, and Pro landscape gives me the tools to perform those tasks above expectations. Their plan program uses simple to grasp CAD techniques, the Imaging mode is by far the best in the industry at this level and will allow your clients to understand what your design is all about.

The caveat with any design software is their limitations. You must be able to create quality design or any software will just make crap look pretty and impressive. Remember, the reason you are presenting a design is to get the approval to perform the installation, unless you are so impressed with you design, it should be considered artwork and framed to hang on a wall. Whether you use graph paper, a napkin or fancy design software, the design for the installation is what it is all about! The rest is just presentation.

Kirk

SDLandscapes VT
02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Kirk

I am going to respectfully disagree with your comment about Dynascape being only for architects and wanna-bes. Dynascape has done a great job getting their program into schools and has seen to creating a generation of students taught in their system. I felt that I was pretty clear to the inquirer that a class for Dynascape will really help clear up some confusion--Dynascape is not an out of the package overnight design wizard program, but it produces CAD images that are as close to hand drawn as I ve seen a computer program produce. Coming this spring (I ve seen it at NE Grows) they are introducing a add in for Dynascape and Sketch Up that allows for scaled 3D rendering and walkaround/through imaging for the designs.

All that to say Dynascape is too complex and too expensive for a wanna be or small timer