PDA

View Full Version : Quicken vs Quickbooks

stevenf
02-03-2011, 11:47 PM
The past three years I have done hand written booklets and files for taxes. I slowly keep growing and I am forced to do a switch for easy calculations and tax print-outs. The price difference between quicken and quickbooks is A LOT! I do not have employee payroll but I do have another program specifically for that.
I guess my question is..... Does Quicken do the trick for you guys?

Littleriver1
02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Stop worring about the price! Order QB Pro and get it behind you. You dont have to buy it new every year and you dont have to buy the payroll part. Once you learn it (not always easy) you will have every thing done in a hour or two a week, and maybe another hour or so at the end of the month, including invoicing and mailing. Buy a boat and spend your Sat. at the lake. Fishing is for people that don't have to do paper work. For me it was an investment for my life, not my business.

gasracer
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
My wife has ran both and says Quicken is fine for a small business.Quick Books is for larger companies.

walker-talker
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, unless you're going to need payroll features, you really don't need quickbooks. I use Quicken Home & Business, but not sure why. I am sure that Quicken would do everything that I need done. I do all my banking and bill payments online and then download them into my Quicken and LOVE THAT!!!! It puts all the transactions into Quicken for me. I have to go over them and correct some of the categories here and there, but it's not a bid deal. At least I am not putting in the transactions manually any longer. WOW what a time saver that is.

stevenf
02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Does Quicken take care of your tax summery also? Does it allow you to catorgorize everything enough to print out a summery and be done with it?

walker-talker
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I know Quicken Home & Buisiness does. You should visit the Intuit website and check the differences and features. You usually can get pretty fair deals on ebay. They may not come with a book or box, but they are cheaper.

zturncutter
02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Intuit-413617-QuickBooks-Pro-2011/dp/B003YJ5ESM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296874297&sr=8-1

This is what we use. Not that much more than Quicken.

WheatBookkeeping
05-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Quicken and QB are both fine for your needs and will serve you well.

If you are going to stay with a stand-alone program for payroll, and you have been getting by with files and folders, and you donít want to spend much money; look at GnuCash. You may like it, you may not. You decide. It is setup like manual files and it is free. It is basic bookkeeping just like you have been doing with your manual system. Most of the software in the program stack is public domain, so you wonít be herded into the QB update trap that so many people dislike.