PDA

View Full Version : Fire Ant Bait time in South Florida

Ric
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
The following is for Homeowners and Commercially Certified Operators. Not the Illegal applicators. And I know who some of you are.

February can be an excellent month for treating with Fire Ant Baits in South Florida. Sorry Central and North Florida I don't know your best time, but it is later.

This February should be good in the fact we are now warmer and in fact just above normal. Fire Ants are active between 70 & 90 degrees and most active in the 75 to 85 range like we have during the day right now. Also remember Baits are only good until rain washes off the Phamone or the Phamone goes bad. So warm and dry makes for a good application. Your better Fire Ant Baits have Growth Regulators in them which take up to 10 weeks to control the entire colony. So February is the month to get the ants before many people start being outside.

Most Baits only require 1 to 3 pounds per acre. Fire ants will forage 100 ft from the nest. Therefore banning or check boarding your application works just as good as a blanket treatment.

Here is a trick I will use when a vacant lot of heavy growth is next door to a yard I want to protect. I use a Sling Shot and Handy Wrap with Bait inside. I will shoot the Bait in the Handy Wrap into the Thick growth because it will open when it hits. BTW I also use a Steel Shot in the Handy wrap. Knowing Fire Ant forage 100 Feet I try and space my shots about 50 ft apart to get excellent coverage.

You can do a search under my name for tons of infro on Fire Ants. Most any baits will work but those with Growth Regulators are proven to last longer. The wider or larger the area, the longer control.

Patriot Services
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Sounds like you are giving away your best secrets. That must be a sign of the apocalypse.
Don't know if I trust some of these yahoos with a slingshot though.

Ric
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Sounds like you are giving away your best secrets. That must be a sign of the apocalypse.
Don't know if I trust some of these yahoos with a slingshot though.

Patriot

Chinch Bug control is harder than Fire Ant Control. Most upscale yards are already getting Chinch Bug and Grub control so Fire Ants should not be an issue. Straight Fire Ant control takes a lot of marketing and any illegal who advertises Pest control soon gets a health fine from being turned in by Legal Pest Control companies.

I don't believe I am giving a way any real secerts here since this is all over the Web and Ifas. The Sling Shot is a Real Ric Trick so enjoy.

Patriot Services
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
I picked up a hanger at a customers today. They advertised full fert, weed and pest control. 8 app program for 240 yearly. Sounds way too cheap. Listed fire ants, chinch and grub control. Interestingly enough no CPO#. You'd think that would be a nice piece of info.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I picked up a hanger at a customers today. They advertised full fert, weed and pest control. 8 app program for 240 yearly. Sounds way too cheap. Listed fire ants, chinch and grub control. Interestingly enough no CPO#. You'd think that would be a nice piece of info.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

Under Chapter 482 all Pesticide advertisement must have the Company name listed. 1st sign it is not a legal company if the name is not present.

Here is a link to check out all certified and Licensed Card holders and companies in the state of Florida. If they are not listed here they are not legal.

http://app1.flaes.org/ceu/

gregory
02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
good info ric.....

i've been using your fire ant control for i think 2 years now and havent had any problems with fire ant since then. and i remeber you telling me about the baits and shooting it up in the growth around my house......

Ric
02-05-2011, 01:25 AM
good info ric.....

i've been using your fire ant control for i think 2 years now and havent had any problems with fire ant since then. and i remeber you telling me about the baits and shooting it up in the growth around my house......

Karl

With your Z sprayer your Fire Ant Pressure isn't a real problem because you are controlling chinch bugs and getting Fire Ants as a bonus. However with the Wooded lots around you, The Sling Shot Idea might be worth doing once a year.

Landscape Poet
02-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Ric,

While you are in the giving mood. Let me ask you this. I live next to a conservation lot and have a issue with armadillo tearing up my lawn from time to time. I consistently apply pesticides to treat the lawn for ants, chinch bugs and the active chemical is usually labled for the control of grubs.
Is there anything else I can try to deter these armadillo? I have tried using the caster oil mixture to the lawn to by the way. Although it worked for the neighbor that suggested, it has failed to keep them out of my lawn on a consistent manner.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ric
02-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Ric,

While you are in the giving mood. Let me ask you this. I live next to a conservation lot and have a issue with armadillo tearing up my lawn from time to time. I consistently apply pesticides to treat the lawn for ants, chinch bugs and the active chemical is usually labled for the control of grubs.
Is there anything else I can try to deter these armadillo? I have tried using the caster oil mixture to the lawn to by the way. Although it worked for the neighbor that suggested, it has failed to keep them out of my lawn on a consistent manner.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Micky

One more Time NO APPLYING PESTICIDE YOU ARE NOT LICENSED FOR.

This is actually a good question because it shows you don't have the clue and should stay away from Chemicals. All That Crap you are putting on the Yard is never going to anything but Pollute the environment.

Now How to get rid of Armadillos LEGALLY. If you go to FWC website I am still listed as one of the Licensed Nuisance Wild Life Trappers. However the State of Florida no longer requires a license to trap Nuisance Wildlife (armadillo). However My name and other are still listed (last Time I looked) because we are Grandfathered in I GUESS. BTW you can advertise armadillo removal. You can also Trap Moles but not poison them.

Armadillos are easy. First you need Gothic Clothing and Mullet haircut. Be Sure to wear a lot of metal. and no PPE. Call your self Micky the Exterminator and Use a Havahart Trap ($ 30 Tractor supply) and Earth worms as bait. Armadillos are blind so fencing to direct them toward the trap is necessary for quick control. Earth worms in the moist soil they come in placed in a women's Nylon Stocking and into trap just after sundown and taken out in the morning before drying out. Florida Law does not allow relocation of Nuisance Wildlife. I find a Hose from my exhaust pipe to a cover on the trap works easiest and best. Shooting them brings on many problem we don't need to discuss

Landscape Poet
02-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Micky

One more Time NO APPLYING PESTICIDE YOU ARE NOT LICENSED FOR.

This is actually a good question because it shows you don't have the clue and should stay away from Chemicals. All That Crap you are putting on the Yard is never going to anything but Pollute the environment.

Now How to get rid of Armadillos LEGALLY. If you go to FWC website I am still listed as one of the Licensed Nuisance Wild Life Trappers. However the State of Florida no longer requires a license to trap Nuisance Wildlife (armadillo). However My name and other are still listed (last Time I looked) because we are Grandfathered in I GUESS. BTW you can advertise armadillo removal. You can also Trap Moles but not poison them.

Armadillos are easy. First you need Gothic Clothing and Mullet haircut. Be Sure to wear a lot of metal. and no PPE. Call your self Micky the Exterminator and Use a Havahart Trap ($ 30 Tractor supply) and Earth worms as bait. Armadillos are blind so fencing to direct them toward the trap is necessary for quick control. Earth worms in the moist soil they come in placed in a women's Nylon Stocking and into trap just after sundown and taken out in the morning before drying out. Florida Law does not allow relocation of Nuisance Wildlife. I find a Hose from my exhaust pipe to a cover on the trap works easiest and best. Shooting them brings on many problem we don't need to discuss

Ricky,

First, again in your old man eyesight has given out on you again. Please read the post again and this time set the browser to zoom in 200%. Upon doing so you will see that I am talking about my lawn. After you discover that you will also see the detail that I put in there about my property being located right next to a conservation lot.

With the first piece of information you will know that I am not illegally applying any chemical. In fact you should note that I even mentioned reading the label....a fact that I am sure you would not of had expected from me given your attitude towards me.
With the second piece of information a highly educated man such as yourself will understand that most likely there is more than one Armadillo living there. So you can see why trapping them may not be the most timely of solutions.

About shooting them....not sure that the neighbors would mind as they dig in my yard a few times and then move on to the neighbors and keep on gong down the line a little further every night. But not real sure I would like the fine for discharging a firearm in city limit. On a side note true story: last year a neighbor wanted to know how much I would charge to sit outside and shoot them. I told his the same answer about discharging the firearm.

In regards to getting the metal gear, mullet and not using any PPE. Well that is the game plan.....some day my dream is to move to Louisiana, going to buy some rogain to grow the hair out long enough for the mullet, buy a warehouse full of Pyrethrum and battle the pest of the great state. Not sure I will be able to do it on a simple lawn turds earning but I do have the dream. :jester::jester:

Ric
02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Mikey

Nothing wrong with my eye sight I had a Eye exam in December and the Doctor told me come back in two years. I still don't need glasses. Must be my superior DNA. All the illegal applicators claim it is their yard when asking about Chemicals. So stop trying to hide the fact. We all know different and your being extra defensive just proves it.

Yes more than one Armadillo and So more than one night of Trapping. But you might be surprised how fast you get rid of them by trapping.

Discharging a Gun on or near a Residential area in the state of Florida can earn you 3 hots and a cote so go for it. Even when I trapped Gators I used a bang stick instead of a gun. Florida might have the most liberal Concealed Weapons permit in the world but it also NOW has the most strict Fire Arm Discharge laws.

BTW when you move to Louisana, be sure to stir up wasps nests with your algeric Brother and no bee suit, so you both get stung multiply times.

abrightday
02-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey Mikey, me thinks Ric looks at your posting pic and thinks of Caddy Shack,,The way Bill Murry goes about things,, and relates them to you.
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Patriot Services
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Being an animal lover I always have a humane trap set on porch roof and in a bed. Armadillos, possum, coon , squirrel, feral cat, something always seems to hang around my yard. A can of fancy feast and then a trip to the woods or the fixing clinic for the cats.

Ric- I assume your dig was at Billy the exterminator. I don't get it either, seems like schtick and just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Mikey

Nothing wrong with my eye sight I had a Eye exam in December and the Doctor told me come back in two years. I still don't need glasses. Must be my superior DNA. All the illegal applicators claim it is their yard when asking about Chemicals. So stop trying to hide the fact. We all know different and your being extra defensive just proves it.

Yes more than one Armadillo and So more than one night of Trapping. But you might be surprised how fast you get rid of them by trapping.

Discharging a Gun on or near a Residential area in the state of Florida can earn you 3 hots and a cote so go for it. Even when I trapped Gators I used a bang stick instead of a gun. Florida might have the most liberal Concealed Weapons permit in the world but it also NOW has the most strict Fire Arm Discharge laws.

BTW when you move to Louisana, be sure to stir up wasps nests with your algeric Brother and no bee suit, so you both get stung multiply times.

Ric you win.....I would love to stay here and argue with you but I guess I better go make illegal applications since you insist that I do because I ask a question her or there. I give up...say what you will because it does not appear to do any good to tell you the truth.

I will give trapping them another shot. Thanks for you input.

In regard to moving to Louisiana - I will make sure to do that. I will also go into duck blinds with both cottonmouths and gators and do so with my brother who is stoned and ask the customers for assistance.

Landscape Poet
02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey Mikey, me thinks Ric looks at your posting pic and thinks of Caddy Shack,,The way Bill Murry goes about things,, and relates them to you.
www.YourLandscapePro.com

I put that picture up as my avitar because of Ric. I like to keep him irritated.

tallrick
02-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I was under the impression that fire ants have faded away as I have not seen any in over 10 years. I remember having them in the yard as a kid but have not seen any at my parent's place since 1990. Is there a biological control out there curbing their numbers?

Ric
02-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Tallrick

IMHO Miami and the Atlantic coast is so over populated that there is very little space for Fire Ants to survive with all the Chemicals Etc Take a drive south to homestead or west and I am sure you will find them. They are a real PITA in my area.

Patriot

Yes it was a dual dig on Carl Spackler and Billy the Exterminator and his stoned Brother. Billy has done more to set the Pest Control industry back to the dark ages than the Tree Hugger movement. As a Structural Pest Control Guy I also go to the real Pesticide Forums that don't deal with L&O. Billy is a heated topic of Discussion in those forums

BTW It is Illegal under Florida Law to relocate Nuisance Wildlife. The must be euthanized.

Ric
02-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Tallrick

IMHO Miami and the Atlantic coast is so over populated that there is very little space for Fire Ants to survive with all the Chemicals Etc Take a drive south to homestead or west and I am sure you will find them. They are a real PITA in my area.

Patriot

Yes it was a dual dig on Carl Spackler and Billy the Exterminator and his stoned Brother. Billy has done more to set the Pest Control industry back to the dark ages than the Tree Hugger movement. As a Structural Pest Control Guy I also go to the real Pesticide Forums that don't deal with L&O. Billy is a heated topic of Discussion in those forums

BTW It is Illegal under Florida Law to relocate Nuisance Wildlife. They must be euthanized.

Yo

I want to expand on this law and the reason for it. Theory is that Animals that are Nuisance and live around people get into garbage etc and can pick up disease. By relocating them you are relocating a disease also. The other part of the theory is Animals that live around People become depend on Humans. By relocating them you are only sending your problems to others along with a possible disease. Therefore it is better to humanly Euthanize them. I find a Large Garbage bag placed over the Havahart trap shuts off light and acts a a calming effect. I then place a hose from my exhaust pipe to the covered Trap and start my engine. Several minutes later I empty the trap into a sealed garbage bag and place it in a Garbage can, for the landfill.

This works on snakes also and poisonous snakes must euthanized on the spot unless you have a special license. They can not be transported from the site alive. I keep a Bee Suit and Snake tongs in my truck all the time. There is good money in snake removal when you get it.

Patriot Services
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm aware of the legalaties. These animals have been around here for years. They get relocated into the woods right behind our subdivision. I'm sure most find their way back. I started the trapping for the cat issue mostly but other things found their way in. No snakes yet but I do use the crystals.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
02-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm aware of the legalaties. These animals have been around here for years. They get relocated into the woods right behind our subdivision. I'm sure most find their way back. I started the trapping for the cat issue mostly but other things found their way in. No snakes yet but I do use the crystals.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

The law is the law and it doesn't matter where you relocate them. I Don't make the laws, I only try and live with in the laws. I suggest you do the same or don't trap.

tallrick
02-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Although it is most likely illegal, I always stop to get turtles out of the road unless I see a police or "other" authority in the area. Also have rescued puppies and kittens from a certain death several times.

Patriot Services
02-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I went over to my neighbor who is a county homicide detective and told him I was turning myself in for "illegal trafficking of nuisance animals". He about fell out of his chair laughing and said that reminds me "can I borrow your big trap, that raccoon is in my garbage again?" There is the law and the "spirit" of the law. BTW disposing of any animal or human tissue that may contain a communicable disease in a non biohazmat fashion (ie hefty cinch sack) is illegal.:usflag:

Ric
02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I went over to my neighbor who is a county homicide detective and told him I was turning myself in for "illegal trafficking of nuisance animals". He about fell out of his chair laughing and said that reminds me "can I borrow your big trap, that raccoon is in my garbage again?" There is the law and the "spirit" of the law. BTW disposing of any animal or human tissue that may contain a communicable disease in a non biohazmat fashion (ie hefty cinch sack) is illegal.:usflag:

Patriot

I will bet you voted for Obama.

Patriot Services
02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Patriot

Oh no sir, I am a Republican through and through. Too many of my military brethren bought into his "vote for me and I will bring you all home" rhetoric. I am getting fed up with the two party bs, nothing seems to get done regardless of the majority.

sweetz
02-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Patriot

Ric, I voted for Obama and I would do it again, what does that make me?

ted putnam
02-06-2011, 12:18 AM

It's Saturday night and Ric likes to play pool. He's probably quenching his thirst at his favorite "watering hole" also. Something tells me he'll get back to you on that one. Stay tuned

Ric
02-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Sweetz

That would mean you are a Liberal Democrat. But the reason I ask Patriot was because extreme liberals also tend to be Bleeding Hearts for everything including Animals. Patriot doesn't seem to be able to man up and euthanize Nuisance animals because they are so cute.

It's Saturday night and Ric likes to play pool. He's probably quenching his thirst at his favorite "watering hole" also. Something tells me he'll get back to you on that one. Stay tuned

Ted

You know me well. Lately I have not been playing as much pool because I caught the Crud the same as everyone in my area and I am still fighting it. I play on a couple of Pool league and a few tournament each week when feeling good. But the Saturday night Ring Game is worth looking forward to. I am not dating right now, but normally the girls come and have fun also.

Patriot Services
02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Ric-
I really don't want to get into this. I have "euthanized" many life forms. I am far to the right of any liberal. Have a great Sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device