PDA

View Full Version : How to read CAT OEM bucket serial number

AMlandscapes
02-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Can anyone tell me how to read a CAT bucket serial number, im basically looking for the year. the two numbers that i was able to get off the bucket where 165-6154 and below that G5SSGT02441 , im kind of just assuming its an 02 but looking for other opinions.

bobcat_ron
02-05-2011, 01:22 PM
165-6154 is the part number, that's all I can tell you, buckets are a dime a dozen, why the trouble?

AMlandscapes
02-05-2011, 01:51 PM
its a long story but, we sub'ed out or 2002 252 skid steer for the winter to push snow in a living community, we kept all the equipment by a service garage and one day we noticed that our bucket was gone. we asked to contractor what happened to it and he claims he had no idea, after talking to one of his guys we were told that the bucket was accidentally moved to another job site with one of the other machines. so after confronting the contractor he still claims they dont have it. so i did some investigating and went to the other job site and found our bucket on a 289c (i know its ours just just by condition and the cutting edge) that he has rented.... we didnt have to vin documented but we are just trying to prove that the bucket was made in 2002, because it was purchased new with the machine. otherwise we are going to have to file a police report saying that it was stolen.

Danny Boy
02-05-2011, 01:55 PM
That guy sounds like a real ass:hammerhead:

ccstrebe
02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
If you can't get it back and have to buy a new bucket I would recommend a Case bucket over the Cat buckets.

There are only two things I'm not happy with on my Cat. One is the design and implementation of their quick attach system (Case has the simplest and most trouble free design out there)

And the other is their bucket design. (no relief to the wedge shape at the back of the bucket) The problem with their bucket shape is that when the bucket is tilted back and the arms are down the back of the bucket drags on the ground.

Case angles the last few inches at the back of the bucket up so that this doesn't happen. One of the first things I did after getting that Cat was to buy a Case bucket for it.

ksss
02-06-2011, 07:42 PM
If you bought the bucket with the skid steer, the dealer should have both serial numbers on file from your purchase. I am not sure (could be wrong) but I doubt that buckets are really serial numbered by year.

And even if you proved that the bucket was an 02 that does not mean it is your 02 bucket.

mow king
02-06-2011, 11:32 PM
If you're sure it's your bucket go to the site - write down the serial number and then show paper work showing it to be the bucket that came with the machine..

If he still won't give it back, file a police report with the serial # on it.