PDA

View Full Version : Questions about oil.

LWG
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I am wondering what sort of hydraulic oils are being used for Bobcats? I have heard that motor oil works, that generic hydraulic oil works, and that Bobcat brand oil must be used because of special additives. I would appreciate member comments.

I am also interested in recommendations for motor oil. I have a T-200 with the Deutz diesel.

bobcat_ron
02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Bobcat recommends their oils due to the higher zinc content used as an additive, last time I tried to rent a sweeper for my Takeuchi I got the lecture on the differences, so our dealer will NOT rent out Bobcat hydraulic attachments to anyone who doesn't own a Bobcat skid steer, seems almost cruel, but they have had too many problems with contamination.

joes169
02-06-2011, 12:54 PM
It's little pricey, but I always use the BC All-Season hydraulic fluid. A 2.5 gal. usually lasts me years between 2 machines.

As for engine oil, just Rotella 15W-40.

ccstrebe
02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I went to the Cat dealer this week to get a gal of hydro fluid for my 297C and the guy behind the counter gives me a gal. of Cat motor oil and I said, no, I need hydro fluid, and he says for our area (southwest desert) my unit uses the same oil for the engine and the hydro circut. Learn something new every day.

LWG
02-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I've read the same thing- people use 15w - 40 engine oil as hydraulic oil. I would be reluctant to do it unless I read it in a manufacturer's recommendations, though, It just doesn't sound right.