View Full Version : Questions about oil.

02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I am wondering what sort of hydraulic oils are being used for Bobcats? I have heard that motor oil works, that generic hydraulic oil works, and that Bobcat brand oil must be used because of special additives. I would appreciate member comments.

I am also interested in recommendations for motor oil. I have a T-200 with the Deutz diesel.

02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Bobcat recommends their oils due to the higher zinc content used as an additive, last time I tried to rent a sweeper for my Takeuchi I got the lecture on the differences, so our dealer will NOT rent out Bobcat hydraulic attachments to anyone who doesn't own a Bobcat skid steer, seems almost cruel, but they have had too many problems with contamination.

02-06-2011, 12:54 PM
It's little pricey, but I always use the BC All-Season hydraulic fluid. A 2.5 gal. usually lasts me years between 2 machines.

As for engine oil, just Rotella 15W-40.

02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I went to the Cat dealer this week to get a gal of hydro fluid for my 297C and the guy behind the counter gives me a gal. of Cat motor oil and I said, no, I need hydro fluid, and he says for our area (southwest desert) my unit uses the same oil for the engine and the hydro circut. Learn something new every day.

02-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I've read the same thing- people use 15w - 40 engine oil as hydraulic oil. I would be reluctant to do it unless I read it in a manufacturer's recommendations, though, It just doesn't sound right.