PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine Replacement<help>

Mr_Marc
09-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Hello I have a question
I have a customer that wants me to remove dead St Augustine and growing weeds and replace with same.

Specs: Area 8x40 with active weed growth.

Itís my first time doing this any help would be appreciated.

Dan1944
09-08-2002, 08:21 AM
There are two way's to do it,that :I know of. It depends if the customer wants instant results or is willing to be pataint.
Instant results would require total sod removal and replacement (preferred). The other way is kill all weeds and grasses with Roundup, 2 or 3 treatments about 1-2 weeks apart, rake out what you can of dead stuff and put in about 320 grass plugs, 10 -32 plug trays, besure to use a starter fertilizer in each hole. Both ways you have to water every day until grass is established (4-6 weeks) water in early morning.

:cry

Mr_Marc
09-08-2002, 09:32 AM
Dan1944

Thanks for the advice. I going to go with the total removal and resod method.

I have used the plug method in my own lawn some time ago.<small area> good results but too much labor involved in this heat.

TurfGuyTX
09-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Removal would be my preferred method too. Sod cutters are well worth the cost of rental if you don't have one. Good luck.

LonghornShortgrass
09-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Marc- I just did a project similar, only I removed Bermuda to lay St. Augustine. Property was 20 X 50. I just scalped the bermuda, tilled (multi-directions), and raked. Customer satisfied, property looks great!

Mr_Marc
03-08-2003, 12:33 AM
The customer went with a lower price no problem. The company that did the install did little or no prep I know they just went over the weeds. The sod is considerably higher then the existing lawn. It seems to be rooting well nice and green but still loose.

How long should I wait to mow the newly sod-ed areas?

Ric
03-10-2003, 05:51 PM
4 weeks is a good time to wait before cutting. However Tell your customer you can not be responsible for scaling since this was a bad job and the turf is too high. While you are talking with the customer tell them that this summer when the Bermuda is back in full force you would be happy to redo the job the right way. Bermuda must be killed at Least 3 if not 4 times two weeks apart to kill it all.

On the other hand Don't tell your customer anything. Let the cheap sucker find out for them self.

Mr_Marc
03-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Ric

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking 3 to 6 weeks. I's been getting watered 2 times daily. I was on my way out of the back yard and caught a piece in the middle of the front yard and it ripped up.

On a lighter note the house was just sold so I'm hoping to keep the new owners as customers and do some upselling.

Thanks again.

Ric
03-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Marc
On a lighter note the house was just sold

Yep the old I don't care Do it cheap I am selling it attitude. how many times have I heard that one. No I don't walk away from them. I run.

What I like to hear is I just bought this house and I want to make it a home.