PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards - Quickbooks, anyone use them

JayD
02-05-2011, 09:29 PM
OK, I am thinking of trying out taking credit cards this year, has anyone used that service with Quick-books?
How is it, pro's - con's ?
What does it cost to do this?

If not Quick-books, then who should i use?

THANKS....

Puddle of Oil
02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
i looked into that last year. i think its 13 bucks a month, plus an additional fee per transaction. i have paypal on my website with no monthly fee. Their is a transaction fee of 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction though. i haven't been able to use use it a ton yet but so far so good.

Marvelous Gardens
02-06-2011, 02:01 AM
Hey Jay I use Quickbooks but I went with square as far as taking credit cards you can process them right through your smart phone and there are no monthly fees just per transaction check out there website. So far so good.
Sorry about the Colts we will be back next year.

JayD
02-06-2011, 06:39 AM
i looked into that last year. i think its 13 bucks a month, plus an additional fee per transaction. i have paypal on my website with no monthly fee. Their is a transaction fee of 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction though. i haven't been able to use use it a ton yet but so far so good.

So your saying that paypal is cheaper for you then quickbooks? I have paypal, just not linked it to my web site yet, I need to do that. I tell customers about it and a couple use it for their points.

JayD
02-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Hey Jay I use Quickbooks but I went with square as far as taking credit cards you can process them right through your smart phone and there are no monthly fees just per transaction check out there website. So far so good.
Sorry about the Colts we will be back next year.

So is that just square.com?

I have no smart phone, so will this still work?

Yeah, the Colts were so banged up like all season, we are so blessed to see them just make it to where they did and I don't know how they even pulled that off, luck I guess...LOL

MowHouston
02-06-2011, 05:18 PM
PayPal's Fees
2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
If you sign up for Website Payment Pro with credit card processing, PayPal holds 30% of your transaction on a 90 day rolling reserve. This does not apply to you if you are just using Website Payment Standard. Website Payment Pro also has a monthly fee. I dont remember but I think it is $20 - $30 per month. Also, if you piss a customer off, they will be able to get the money back pretty damn easy even if you provide receipts. PayPal tends to favor the buyer on any payment that does not have proof of delivery such as intangible goods or services.

Merchant Account Fees
Fees vary depending on who you choose. Here is the one I use:
$10 monthly fee
1.79% + $0.15 per transaction
Money deposited into my bank account in 48-72 hours.

Customers give me their credit/debit card upon sign up and are billed following service.

In my opinion, PayPal is good to start out with and customers may prefer it over giving you their card number. However, if you present yourself in a professional manner, have a clean looking, professional looking website, customer generally do not have a problem with it. I have probably had about three customers who have questioned it and I was still able to assure them that their information is safe with me.

I do not use Quickbooks. I just use Gopher and my merchant accounts virtual terminal to process credit cards. Be sure that you have active antivirus on your computer to keep keyloggers and other viruses off of your computer to protect customer information.

JayD
02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
PayPal's Fees
If you sign up for Website Payment Pro with credit card processing, PayPal holds 30% of your transaction on a 90 day rolling reserve. This does not apply to you if you are just using Website Payment Standard. Website Payment Pro also has a monthly fee. I dont remember but I think it is $20 - $30 per month. Also, if you piss a customer off, they will be able to get the money back pretty damn easy even if you provide receipts. PayPal tends to favor the buyer on any payment that does not have proof of delivery such as intangible goods or services.

Merchant Account Fees
$10 monthly fee

Customers give me their credit/debit card upon sign up and are billed following service.

In my opinion, PayPal is good to start out with and customers may prefer it over giving you their card number. However, if you present yourself in a professional manner, have a clean looking, professional looking website, customer generally do not have a problem with it. I have probably had about three customers who have questioned it and I was still able to assure them that their information is safe with me.

I do not use Quickbooks. I just use Gopher and my merchant accounts virtual terminal to process credit cards. Be sure that you have active antivirus on your computer to keep keyloggers and other viruses off of your computer to protect customer information.

Thanks for all that info, yeah I do have protection, just renewed it for two years.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I run QB's online service @ $15/ month. It requires I get on a website to run the cards - but is the cheapest option for the low volumes I process.
Posted via Mobile Device

Puddle of Oil
02-06-2011, 09:36 PM
So your saying that paypal is cheaper for you then quickbooks? I have paypal, just not linked it to my web site yet, I need to do that. I tell customers about it and a couple use it for their points.

For my current operation, yes. I looked into quickbooks and they seem like it would would work better for a higher volume of cards being processed. Most of my customers still pay me in cash or check so paypal works great for me.

lyndont
02-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I have an app on my blackberry that works for paypal and its the cheapest for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

eastportstar
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
anybody gonna try this new "square" ? it plugs into your smartphone and you use it to swipe credit cards. i think 15 cents + 2.75 % fee. no monthly charge i think.

JayD
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't have one of those smart phones with all the extras. Wife wont let me spend that kind of money on fancy phones with all the extras...:nono::nono::cry::cry:

grassman177
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
PayPal's Fees

Merchant Account Fees
$10 monthly fee

is that merchant you use able to work with our business here in Ks? those are good terms

tradeyouraccounts
02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Paypal has works well and there is no monthly fee just per transaction as customers grow you might be better of contacting your bank as business customers can use their merchant services but there maybe a monthly service charge.

MowHouston
02-08-2011, 10:39 PM
is that merchant you use able to work with our business here in Ks? those are good terms

Yeah. They are the third largest processor in the country. Here is their site.

http://www.leadersmerchantservices.com/

Best thing to do to get info is just to call em. They aren't high pressure.

If you want, ask for Logan and tell him Ryan Tennyson sent you. He was a great rep on the phone with me.

I need to also add, I am getting $0.22 per transaction, not $0.15. My mistake.

MowHouston
02-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Paypal has works well and there is no monthly fee just per transaction as customers grow you might be better of contacting your bank as business customers can use their merchant services but there maybe a monthly service charge.

There is a monthly charge and often a setup charge of $60. Rates are usually higher, however, money often gets deposited into your account within 24 hours on business days.

grassman177
02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
i will try that out, thanks. ia m thinking of beta testing a small group of clients using paypal for a while first though

JayD
02-09-2011, 07:10 AM
There is a monthly charge and often a setup charge of $60. Rates are usually higher, however, money often gets deposited into your account within 24 hours on business days.

Ryan, what is the monthy charge?

Is this set up to let customers call a number and pay over the phone with their card or is it something that you inter their card info every month. I see on here where guys say that customers dont want to give out their cc# to you/us.

Puttinggreens
02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
We set this up last January and it works very well.

I provide a link on my Quickbook invoices, most credit card clents follow the link to a login page. Using their own password they can view recent invoices and also pay them with a credit card.

Takes a little work to set up initially but Quickbooks and merchant services are very good with their support on these subjects.

I can still manually enter credit cards through Quickbooks if clients call the numbers in to our office.

I don't encourage clients to pay by CC because of the slight added fee, but feel it is a needed option for collecting payment as our company grows.

As a side note I just set up check scanning last month through Quickbooks. $10 per month + $0.23 per check. Checks scanned by 3 PM eastern time are in my bank account the next day. Works really well, very few trips to the bank now and better cash flow.

JayD
02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
We set this up last January and it works very well.

I provide a link on my Quickbook invoices, most credit card clents follow the link to a login page. Using their own password they can view recent invoices and also pay them with a credit card.

Takes a little work to set up initially but Quickbooks and merchant services are very good with their support on these subjects.

I can still manually enter credit cards through Quickbooks if clients call the numbers in to our office.

I don't encourage clients to pay by CC because of the slight added fee, but feel it is a needed option for collecting payment as our company grows.

As a side note I just set up check scanning last month through Quickbooks. $10 per month + $0.23 per check. Checks scanned by 3 PM eastern time are in my bank account the next day. Works really well, very few trips to the bank now and better cash flow.

Wow, that's some really good info, thanks...

So let me ask you this and to anyone else as that goes, how many customers or % use this? Did they ask for this, or did you want to have it so people would pay with cc when cash was tight? I wished I knew how many if any would like this.

Puttinggreens
02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
We received around 10% of gross payments over the last 12 months by CC. It works for us but we have over 250 clients. We are mainly an application business.

For years I always had a few customers asking for this service. Depending on your clientele and the type of business you do it could give them more options to pay. If you do any larger install projects it gives people an easy way to finance the project, not a cheap way to go for them but it is an option.

Don't let the set up process stop you. I think the decision is more about how much volume you are doing versus the cost. Can you generate enough additional revenue to cover the costs?

JayD
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
We received around 10% of gross payments over the last 12 months by CC. It works for us but we have over 250 clients. We are mainly an application business.

For years I always had a few customers asking for this service. Depending on your clientele and the type of business you do it could give them more options to pay. If you do any larger install projects it gives people an easy way to finance the project, not a cheap way to go for them but it is an option.

Don't let the set up process stop you. I think the decision is more about how much volume you are doing versus the cost. Can you generate enough additional revenue to cover the costs?

hummm....not really for sure if this is for me then, right now only have around 40 clients but hoping for a lot more to be added from all my advertising being done this year. Just thought that cc payments would help them pay if cash was tight. Not even sure how many would want to use it. I do take paypal but have not advertised that, just a couple of customers who have asked about it, because they get points or something for using them. Wonder If I should put their little symbol on my web site..