PDA

View Full Version : 1995 powerstroke turbo question

Ben's Landscape
02-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I am looking at a newer truck its a 1995 f 250 powerstroke with 63k miles on it original and its very clean no rust, rot, dents, scratches etc.

The guy told me he has done a turbo on it already. is this because ford recomends rebuilding it at 50k miles(im going off of what he told me)?
Or is it just because the truck did a lot of short driving and the turbo didnt last as long?

Thanks

TYCINC
02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
unless he has recipts proving parts/labor. . visibly its kinda hard to tell short of puliing off the intake and checking the fins of the impellar. . .

Those trucks go for hundreds of thousands of miles without major breakdowns- like the turbo- auto transmissions dont seem to be as fortunate. .

Mowingman
02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
That is a bunch of bull. I have owned 14 Powerstroke diesels, all with over 250000 miles on them when I sold them. Not even one of them ever had a turbo rebuild, and it is not recommended by Ford.

Ben's Landscape
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
ok so sould i be worried that it has been done? was he trying to cover something up? The truck seemed very responsive and the turbo sounded like it was spooling nicely i got on the highway and steped on it

Mowingman
02-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I would just wonder why it needed a turbo rebuild at such low mileage. That is very uncommon. If it was due to some abuse or neglegt, how bad is the rest of the engine. If it was just a fluke, well, then I would not worry about it.
I would want to know who did the turbo work, so you can be sure it was done by someone who knew what they were doing.

Mowingman
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Oh, I would be real suspecious of a truck that old, with such low miles. That seems somewhat too good to be true.

Landrus2
02-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Ok letís look at the problem because there might be one undetected
I would get a set of these gauges to monitor what goes on for a turbo to fail at 50k
# one turbo destroyer is heat if oil is not getting to that turbo life on it will be cut short that is what looks like on this case :waving::waving::waving::waving:

Ben's Landscape
02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
thanks for the advice! i do know the truck is in great shape, the motor had no smoke, no knocks and was very clean. didnt even smoke when i steped on it to get on the highway. I do also know the truck did a lot of farm driving such as around the farm so it never really was worked. also the truck had a very miticous owner that used to even armor all the vinyl floors hahaha. The turbo was done by ford at a dealer. so maybe it was just a fluke recal type of deal

Thats what i thought it was too good to be true until i saw it in person and there is no rips or wear on any of the knobs for heat or accessories, you can tel the truck was not painted or fixed in any way. truck was always kept in the barn when not driven its crazy!

Those autometer gauges look sick! where did you get the pilliar gauge mount if i buy the truck im doing that

unkownfl
02-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Turbos last pretty long I'd say longer than most trucks do. See if you can get an OASIS report from Ford on it. I'm not sure how far they go back but its worth a try.

South Florida Lawns
02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I say go for it!

TYCINC
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
hes prob just bullshitting you. . to an unsuspecting buyer a lie like that could be a selling point. . . id say go for it too, theyre good trucks.

stroker51
02-08-2011, 03:27 PM
My oldest Powerstroke has 252k miles, original turbo. I wouldnt be scared of the truck, but when it is idling take the fill cap for the oil out and see if it is smoking back out of there. A little blow by isnt a problem, but if you can set the oil cap back on and the blow by causes it to move around, pass on that truck. My only thought on the turbo would be if it somehow got dusted, and then replaced, the motor might have sucked some bad stuff in to and now be using oil/losing power. I hop that low mile of a truck is still mint, if it isnt too good to be true that is an incredible find.

Ben's Landscape
02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
My oldest Powerstroke has 252k miles, original turbo. I wouldnt be scared of the truck, but when it is idling take the fill cap for the oil out and see if it is smoking back out of there. A little blow by isnt a problem, but if you can set the oil cap back on and the blow by causes it to move around, pass on that truck. My only thought on the turbo would be if it somehow got dusted, and then replaced, the motor might have sucked some bad stuff in to and now be using oil/losing power. I hop that low mile of a truck is still mint, if it isnt too good to be true that is an incredible find.

Thanks for the tip. i will check that if i go back. called the guy today and i guess someone drove it today made an offer and is supposed to be back tommorrow or thrusday to buy it if the guy doesnt show I will look at it again and offer some money. i got caught in this situation because my dad likes to see the trucks i am looking at i know im 18 but he has a good instinct about them haha. So keeping my fingers crossed that the guy doesnt show up with money.