PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Grounds Maintenance for Herbicide Spot-Spraying and Pre-emergents

castle555
02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I have a 48 acre property that I am bidding and it has many long section planters where I've figured a walking application rate of about 14 hours to cover all the square footage (over 100,000 sf) with spraying (4-gal. back-pack). What do you guys charge in your area for a commercial site? Do you use a square foot takeoff, with a basic charge for just showing up and material?

An example would be a 1600 ft. x 10 ft. strip with decomposed granite
covering the planter area. No mulch, just exposed ground.
Plants are Shrubs (pyracantha, Oleander, and others) and spaced out every 3 ft., and 6 feet apart. in other words, it's a lot of open ground to spray or to seasonally apply a granular pre-emergent such as Ronstar-G..

The maintenance goal to eliminate weeds in the planter areas.
And yYes, the cost of doing business must be included -as mileage, fuel, manhours, overhead, insurance, licenses, herbicide

greendoctor
02-06-2011, 05:28 PM
To control weeds around shrubs in beds, liquid preemergents are more cost effective while providing better weed control. They can also be easier to apply uniformly and at the correct rate. I like to use a single nozzle fan tip on the end of a long wand to spray around shrubs. That is fitted to either my skid sprayer for vehicle accessible areas or a 7 gallon engine drive backpack for those that are cut off from access. Ronstar is very good for controlling broadleaf weeds. So is Gallery. I like to apply one of those mixed with Barricade or Dimension to prevent most weeds.

I price this kind of work based on cost of material + markup + the costs you mentioned and time needed to apply the treatment.

castle555
02-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks there Greendoctor, for taking the time to give a few pointers.
I forgot to mention markup, and I usually use a margin of 1.11 or 1.18 when bidding landscape projects, but this is different in that the labor is not as intense or difficult and I would most likely just apply the markup to material costs to remain competitive.