PDA

View Full Version : take a look

seacoastlandscape
02-07-2011, 01:05 AM
seacoastdesignslandscape.net
finalizing our website and would like some extra eyes and input.. first time advertising etc for the business so i want it right. thanks

tadpole
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Generally a nice looking, easy to navigate site.I do think that the Title Bar needs redesigning. It is off balance The graphic (your logo) on the left side and the telephone number on the right side clash. IMO, the Logo should be centered (and larger) with the telephone number under the Logo in the same, but larger, Font as used in the Logo.

DoornbosOutdoorServices
02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Generally a nice looking, easy to navigate site.I do think that the Title Bar needs redesigning. It is off balance The graphic (your logo) on the left side and the telephone number on the right side clash. IMO, the Logo should be centered (and larger) with the telephone number under the Logo in the same, but larger, Font as used in the Logo.

I agree with tadpole, you could maybe use some of your work pictures on each page so the customer dosent have to click to look at your work which is really nice.

JimLewis
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
First impression - great site! Better than 90% of landscapers I see. Gives a very professional impression. Makes your company look well established. Main menu is nice. Not too many items. But I agree it needs to be justified center.

The photo of you on the About page is great. Definitely keep that. That's a huge selling point for you. All you have to do is go to a free lunch / BBQ at a local distributor to get a glance at what some of your competitors look like. And I know from experience a lot of mine don't look very sharp. A lot of them look like people I would never hire, just from their appearance. People want to hire contractors who look sharp, neat, clean, and nice. You fit all those descriptions. So use that to your advantage. A lot of people will call just because you look like a great person to work with.

The rest of what I will say is a little less important. First impressions are everything and your site has a great first impression. This other stuff is a little more nit-picky. But might be good for you to look at;

First, you need more testimonials. Your site makes you look fairly big and established - until you get to the point where there are only 3 testimonials. Then all of a sudden I am thinking maybe you guys just started a year or so ago. Otherwise, you'd definitely have more testimonials. Ask for some, if you need to. But get more on there one way or another.

Second, it's unfortunate that your company name isn't more prominent. It's sort of hidden away in the upper left corner, within the logo. I don't know that I'd splash the whole width of the screen with it. But finding a way so that my company name stood out a little more prominently would be a priority for me, if that was my site.

Third, on the "About" page, it might be nice to have two sections. One for "About Sea Coast Designs Landscape". For example, how you got started, how you've grown, what your areas of expertise are (as a company), maybe a mission statement, and what makes your company different. THEN, maybe a little "About the Owner". Just a thought....

On the Services / Portfolio Page, the words next to the photos are a little confusing. For instance, I wanted to see some of your Retaining Walls photos. So I clicked on the photo that was closest to those words "Retaining Walls" and all of a sudden I was looking at paver pathways and stuff. I was like, "WTF? These aren't retaining walls!" Then I went back and realized that the photos for each word were BELOW. But it's confusing because the words themselves are actually closer to the photos ABOVE, than they are to the photos below. I would fix that for sure. So that it was clear which photos went with each set of words. On some of the items, I guess the photo alone would sort of tell you what the gallery was about. But in this case, even the pavers photo you have on there has rock walls in it. So I still thought that was the Retaining Walls gallery.

Another thing that is a little odd is that you have one link for "Services / Portfolio" and a whole other link for "Gallery". Most companies have just one link for their Portfolio or Gallery. Not two. And usually those two words "Portfolio" and "Gallery" mean about the same thing. But in your case, one page is a list of your services combined with galleries for each service. Then on the Galleries page it's not really a gallery. It's more like 2 slide shows. That's a little odd. To make things even more confusing, you also have your list of services on the "About Us" page. If this were my site I'd clear all this up by;

Eliminate the list of services from the About page. Doesn't need to be there.
Change the 3rd menu item to just say, "Services" and just put your list of services there. No galleries. Just a simple list of services you offer.
Make the 4th page just a set of galleries - like you have right now on page 3. And get rid of the slide show thing. I think most people would prefer just to go through galleries on their own than watch an entire slide show.

Next, I'm not sure you need the little word (are you a human?) verification thing on your contact page. You're not going to get all THAT much spam. I've had one of the more prominent websites in our industry since about 1999. We get a TON of hits on our site every day - from people all around the world. We get between 700-3000 hits a day on our site. And still with all that traffic, I get maybe 1-2 spam robots actually filling out our form each day. And you can tell before you even click on the email to open it when they are spam. It takes all of .5 seconds to delete those emails. But it's kind of annoying to customers to have to enter those random characters. I know I always get annoyed when I have to do that.

That's about all I can say. Again, overall great! These are just some things I would do to make it even better / smoother.

JimLewis
02-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh, and as far as SEO stuff, you're site is seriously lacking. There is almost none of the basic SEO stuff on your site. Page Title is totally generic and the same from one page to the next. Which is the very most important thing. Page description - same thing. Almost no key words or phrases on the site. No robots.txt file. No menu for search engine robots to use. No site map. I could go on....

PM me and we can talk about all that more in private, if you're interested.

Basically, all this means your site, as is, is never going to be found anywhere near the top pages of Google and the other search engines.