PDA

View Full Version : Your top 10 problems with seasonal color (flower beds)

Az Gardener
02-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I am revamping our class on seasonal color and the associated test. I have my ideas about what he most common problems are but I need a bigger demographic to draw from. So what are your top 10? Here is mine.

A. Root balls drying out and unable to get them saturated again
B. Overwatering
C. Rodent damage rabbits eating them
D. Fungis
E. Weather damage, frost, wind, excess heat,
F. Low light
G. Fertilization issues, low P, PH, N, Fe
H. Powdery mildew
I. Slugs/snails
J. Rust scale

Az Gardener
02-07-2011, 09:01 PM
come on... No one has had any problems with their flowers? really? Little help here sports fans.

Florida Gardener
02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Az

In Florida we don't have a ton of seasonal color

Summer:
Vincas have become more popular and can take our heat but mainly have fungal issues. Another problem with them is that they keep re-seeding and aren't necessarily invasive, but they area they were planted in will keep shooting up new growth even after they have been yanked out. We also have summer Begonia's, but they really need to be potted as they just don't make it in the ground. They also need a little more shade.

Winter:
Impatiens are the most popular. They really need temps at or below 77 in my opinion. Any heat and they start wilting. They can take some shade or full sun. They do need irrigation a couple days a week. Winter begonias do well in pots or ground. Low temps will burn them as well as impatiens, but they pop back. We also have petunias and other "northern" blooms, but they really like the colder weather and with our sporadic winters, they can do very well, or kinda push along. Obviously the petunias are a lot of work and all really need bloom fert to look thier best. Not many issues, but there are some.

greendoctor
02-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Aphids
Spider Mites
Mealybugs
Wrong plant in wrong place. Impatiens and petunias really do not like the heat, so full sun is a bad idea. Nothing does well under the dense shade of a mass of palm trees, however.
Soil issues. Salinity, alkalinity and rarely acidity.

diamondlandscaping, everyone here likes annual bedding plants. Even though they are all wrong plants for this climate. It even gets too hot and humid for vinca. I have to remind clients that it is not springtime in the Midwest or East coast, therefore bedding plants will look ok for a month and then they have had enough. Not even I can keep them going when they are outside of their area of climactic adaptation.

Plantculture
02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Heres a few of my problems in S.E. FL in the winter.
I rarely use annuals in the summer

Rhizoctonia stem rot- happens on impatiens frequently if water not managed perfectly, or after a couple days of rain.
Chili thrips
Poinsettia thrips
snails
Root knot nematodes later in the season.
Petunias bred to be compact- which is great for the nurseryman, but no good in the landscape
Botryotis blight on zonal geranium, marigold, rhizomateous begonia.
Landscape lighting messing up short day flowering plants.
Thats just a few off the top of my head.

Turf Dawg
02-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Really about the only problem I have with a annuals are weather and water. The Pansies do good unless we get some colder than normal temps with snow that covers them for a couple of days. The Begonias, Vincas, ect........ take a hit in July and Aug when temps can get above 100 with wind. We can get a soil born problem that comes from Petunias that will wipe out the Pansies after you plant them. I do very few if any Petunias in the ground though because they just do not last very long. The Pansies still look good when it is time to plant the Petunias but by July they are pretty much shot.

Smallaxe
02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
One thing about northern gardeners, our seasons aren't long enough for anything to get sick. If the perennial beds are protected in the winter and kept kind of moist during the summer, along with the annuals... Our gardening is complete. Obviously weeding can keep a person busy...

Think Green
02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Medical clinics mostly!!!
1.Overwatering
2.Radiant heat from surrounding concrete
3.Patients walking on them
4.Squirrels digging them up
5.Patients stealing plants 4-5 at a time.
6.Pruning existing plants around tender shoots.
7.Did I say Patients walking on them??
8.Multiply #'s 4 & 7 by 10 more and these things keep us busy.

cdqat1432
02-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Make sure you put money in the bid to water for several weeks (i am in NE Ohio). I usually mix in some liquid fertilizer from JD and some Moisture Manager from Nutritain. The impatiens always do well (as long as I dont get too busy to get out there at least 2x week). Good luck in Arizona, though!