PDA

View Full Version : Austree

heygrassman
09-07-2002, 11:16 PM
Has anyone tried one of these recently to see how the tree will hold up?? A tree that grosw 10 ft per year?? I too have concerns that it will fall quickly..

Thoughts??:dizzy:

BigJim
09-07-2002, 11:32 PM
Whats the proper name of the tree?ie variety?.Is it one of those plant these quick growing tree get rich fast schemes?

BigJim
09-08-2002, 12:24 AM
:blush: Oh dear I should have searched the internet first,they were developed right here in New Zealand,I wondered when I saw Austree.They are just a cross of willow species,no wonder they grow fast.In the right spot they would be OK,but I'd hardly get excited over a willow tree.This site has some info on them,there are a few others on the net too,just put Austree in your search engine...http://www.rmausa.com/rma/trees/austree.html

DLS1
09-08-2002, 06:10 AM
We have 5 acres and I thought of buying some. There are several problems with those trees. There just fast growing willows which break off easy in high winds or ice storms,etc. They suck up lots of water out of ground and I read somewhere it said don't plant near septic lines or water lines. I can see roots getting into septic lines but not sure how they would get into PVC or metal pipe water lines. There is a house down the road that has them surrounding the property on 3 sides and they are i am guessing 50' tall. Had a ice storm last year and everyone of them broke close to ground. They are a brittle plants. They planted more the next month and this year they are real tall. You could always try a few and see how you like them. There was another guy down the road selling swigs off one of his trees for $1 each. There were in a bucket of water with lots of roots off them already.

The leaves are very thin looking like your typical willow you see around creeks,ponds. These things will not hold up like oak,etc. trees. You will probably have to replant them a few times due to bad weather or high winds. Yes I believe it is more like 7' a year I read on other sites.

BigJim
09-09-2002, 05:40 AM
There was another guy down the road selling swigs off one of his trees for $1 each :eek: Hope he doesn't get a visit from the license holder,under the Plant Varieties Rights Act(an International Plant Protection Law most countries have agreed to) he could be heavily fined.I have seen nurseries put out of business for being caught growing and selling protected new release plants without the agreement of the license holder.

conepile
09-09-2002, 07:11 AM
I have planted six of these and must say the product literature showing pictures of first year and later photos are accurate. These are fast growing trees and according to the info shipped with the trees, "You cannot overwater the Austree." I purchased mine through Rocky Mountain Austree; I got the shade trees; they come via UPS as bare root stock, and must be soaked in water prior to planting.

Anyway, mine have been in the ground for four years and they are enormous. I bought them as an experiment, as I was looking for something as filler at the back of my property. While I would not use them as specimens, they work great as a screen or backdrop to other landscape materials. They are a bit messy when the leaves fall (there are alot of them), but the leaves are small. The tree is a willow hybrid, but more hardy and with greater life expectancy (50 yrs).

I might sound like I work for the company, but these are great products (so far) with limited application.

The Mowerdude
09-09-2002, 08:27 AM
My parents bought about 200 of them about 5 years ago. They have experience virtually the same results as conepile.

They love them. And they're being used to separate my folk's property from a mobile home park and for privacy from the other neighbors. They are certainly doing the job.

But they really are not pretty enough to be used as ornamentals.

Hodge
09-22-2002, 12:47 AM
I was in the same boat I purchased 3 bare root trees 3 years ago. When purchased they were about 5 ft now after three years they are all about 50ft tall. They are a poplar spp. and yes they do like water...the leaves will turn yellow telling you it is time to water. The storms in MO must be stronger then in TX, but they have been completely covered in ice (bent to the ground) and have spring back to life after the thaw. Living by a like produces alot of stright wind and they have yet to break. Over all excellent trees.... I did have a die back last year (forgot to turn sprinkler on when on vacation) it has fully recovered and continues to grow. Only draw back is having to trim it 3 times per year!!!!!!!!!!!:D

greggers
02-12-2006, 05:10 PM
When is the best time of year to prune our Austrees in Kansas/Missouri? Our 50 austrees are taller than our 2-story home and are hitting the neighbors' homes when the wind blows. We need to cut off at least 10-15 feet off the top of each tree. Should we do it before Spring? Is there any harm in just lopping them off at a heigh of 25 feet from the ground?

Hodge
02-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Not really sure but I have cut mine just before the winter (our winters are mild) and then a thin out cut before the green up....weightlifter