PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler Head Donuts

JTB731
02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi,

I read your PDF on Sprinkler Head Problems and Causes. It talked about these special types of donuts that have a vertical support to keep the sprinkler head straight. Would this type of donut help keep them from sinking below the turf? If so, what are they called?

Thanks,
JTB731

tuna-gator
02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Some irrigation manufacturers make a plastic base that you can add on to the sprinkler head as a stabilizer. Makes the head look like a miniature golf sprinkler head.

JTB731
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you!

Jason Rose
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I think down in FL you can find those donuts at even home depot and Lowes... They aren't something we use up here. Also the sprinklers really don't sink it's the soil that builds up usually. SOME sprinklers do sink, but it's usually after a new system is installed and it was trenched in and the pipe was laid on top of loose material in the trench.

JTB731
02-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes, that makes more sense that the turf comes up. I know that in my previous house, after awhile I couldn't see the donut anymore. Then the person who mowed the lawn rode over them which resulted in breakage. My neighbor has had this problem right now. So she cleaned out around each one so she can see the sprinkler head and discovered the donut way down in the dirt. So she bought more donuts to put on top of the ones she can't see anymore.

txgrassguy
02-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Personally after breaking more irrigation bodies with those damned "donuts" I ripped all of them out at a house I had in S. Fl.
Dug down to the lateral line and mounted a swing joint from the lateral line to the irrigation body. Got rid of all those solid risers.
As the host turf was St. Augustine I replaced all of the four inch irrigation assemblies with six inch one's with great improvement in coverage.
No more sunken heads, no more breaks, better coverage with less water use.

JTB731
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
That sounds like the solution I am seeking. I am a 65 year old widow and I know I would have to hire someone to do that. Could you tell me where I can find such swing joints and directions to install? I live in a community where lawn care is done by a company. Besides mowing, fertilizing, and laying pesticides, they also repair sprinkler heads. The man was out the other day. One of the sprinklers rose above the ground at least 6 inches in a place that was un-necessary. He suggested that it be changed to one that lays flat to the ground so the mowers do not break it. So he changed it. This man does work on the side and probably would install those things you are referring to. Thanks!

Agape
02-16-2011, 11:27 PM
MMMMMmmmmmm..............Doughnuuuts!

ArTurf
02-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I am an irrigation tech and lawn maintenance co. so I am not biased. A properly installed head should not be damaged by the weight of a lawn mower if the ground is stable around it. The top of the head should be slightly below grade.