PDA

View Full Version : Please need help!!

Exmarkboy13
02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Hello everyone. Allow me to intruduce myself. I am a teenager who has been in the business for 6 years. I am looking for a commercial walk behind and need some help. I am comparing between these models.

Exmark 36" metro with ecs
Exmark 36" viking with ecs
Scag SWZ 36"
Scag Sw 36"
Maybe scag 36" pro v and maybe Toro proline.

I am 14 years old and live in an area with mostly gated propertys, so i cant use anything bigger. There are not many steep hills or inclines at all, but i have heard things about belts slipping even if the grass is alittle wet. is this true?? i want to save as much money as possible. I want a machine that will last a long time with proper maintenance. I wont even bring up stripping and cut quality because all of these machines do a nice job. I want to also have a sulky. I have not had a chance to demo any of these yet. But i will. My main concern is that i am young, so i want something that is very easy to squeeze. thats why im leaning towards the ECS controls on the Exmark. Are hydros easier to control and squeeze than belt drives? how are the belt drives in reverse?? If you own any of these machines in these sizes, please post pictures. i am especially intrested in the viking and metro, but scag and toro also. I also want a nice looking machine, i know it sounds stupid, but i hate super small tires and cluttered junk.

So thanks alot!!!!! and please help!:):)

ok4me2xlr8
02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
You have been landscaping since you were 8?

Exmarkboy13
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
You have been landscaping since you were 8?

yes. in my neightbor hood.:) did afew peoples lawns.

vinnieobrien
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
how many accounts do you have per week?

Exmarkboy13
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
how many accounts do you have per week?

trying to get 35. But can someone PLEASE help me!!!:confused:

StihlMechanic
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
all good choices IMO.

rhyan6
02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
i personally like the ferris best did not see it on your list, out of those i would go with any all good choices.

ReddensLawnCare
02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Get a hydro over a belt drive..I have a belt drive 48 scag and when it starts to rain on me or the grass is kinda of tall and wet, then it will start slipping baddly...the upside of belts...they are A LOT cheaper and easier to replace then hydros.

Thomas Grundy
02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
36 Viking ecs. Learn how to pop gates. Sometimes we get out the sockets and unhook the fence at the post and gate. wrap your waste with a rope to pull the fence tite to hook it back up.

aird208
02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Whatever make you decide on get the hydro version. IMO, they more productive and are less strenuous on the body, and they pull a stand on platform better.

Exmarkboy13
02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks. What do you think about the "squeezing" issue?? Ecs? i like scag but heard they are hard to squeeze. Is this true??

ReddensLawnCare
02-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I dont think they are hard to squeeze..but thats just me..If you do it ALL day then you may start to feel it, but i dont think so..go to a dealer and demo anything before you buy it, even used.

Exmarkboy13
02-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks. How is the Viking vs Swz??
Posted via Mobile Device

DaytonBioLawns
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Real men use pistol grips :)!!!

But ya, kidding aside.... An older belt drive unit is good to learn on at your point. Don't mess with the hydro unless you have the money... because I doubt a kid in HS will learn about hydronic/hydraulic function to the degree to service the unit. I have a 36" Metro and I NEVER ever everrrr slipped a belt. Just adjust the linkages and keep the blades balanced/sharp and it will be perfect for you. A good gear drive has its place in the fleet. Don't over complicate it and get head over heels into a piece of machinery to start.

If you were close I'd send you my sales info. Each year I sell equipment and buy equipment. I have a 36" that I have had forever and I'm FINALLY parting with it lol. A hydro is nice, but for a mid-small WB unit I would just get a belt drive.... skip the WB hydro now-a-days and just get a stander mower.

IDK my .02 on it... What is your budget for the entire operations btw?

Exmarkboy13
02-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks. I am willing to spend 4500 and below but will dish out more if needed. How is the reverse on belt drives?
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
On my scag..it doesnt really do a whole lot. It is not meant to actually reverse the machine, but to rather aid and the backing up. Typically in grass..it will slowly crawl back on its own without me pulling on it, but I prefer that because you dont want it to run you over backwards.

Exmarkboy13
02-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Is the exmark metro 36 with ecs a big and professional looking machine?? Does it look as good as the viking
Posted via Mobile Device

brianslawncare
02-12-2011, 02:42 PM
i have the viking with the ecs. i got it because of the hydro,i was told belts slip too. but i never tried one. the belt drives are cheaper to fix verses the hydros. i have a two wheel sulkie on mine and with the bagger full, it pulls me fine im 200lbs. it has a 15hp kawi. i got it for the smaller yards instead of a hand mower. i like the ecs controlls, i can back this up with no problems. either choice you make will be a good one.

Exmarkboy13
02-12-2011, 03:50 PM
thanks. please post pics of the machine