PDA

View Full Version : Stone wall construction

aquaturf
09-08-2002, 01:05 AM
I'm doing a small wall about a foot high a foot wide and 115 long, with a few slight curves and two 90-degree turns. I am figuring 100 hours with two men, including prep and clean-up. Does this number sound accurate? Also, the wall will be flat stone, each piece being about 2" in thickness and 6-12" wide, and there will be about 8 tons of stone to handle. The stone will be mortared in the back (there is only one side facing out) and finished with mortar on the top.
Thanks for your help with this one!

cleancut
09-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Aquaturf, I've also got some small rock walls to build, which a new experience for me.. Most of the walls will be about 2' tall in different lengths. Probably for a total of 200' in length.The walls will be built out of flat stacked rock. I really don't know how to price this job. What are you charging???Are you charging by the ton, the foot, or just total hours???Thanks

Lanelle
09-12-2002, 12:02 AM
We charge by the face foot. Remember to include the wall area that is below grade for the base.

cleancut
09-12-2002, 12:13 AM
How much do you charge???

Lanelle
09-12-2002, 12:45 AM
Costs vary alot from your region to mine. Look at your material cost and add for your overhead and profit. For manhours, start with figuring 1.5 face feet per manhour until you have your own production times recorded. Multiply that by your going rate per hour. Look at factors that increase time such as having to haul the rock to the backyard, digging a footer, backfilling the wall.

Mow&Snow
09-13-2002, 07:57 PM
I figure my walls by the square foot. For a basic wall material, in an area where I can access the site with a machine, and just basic backfilling, I start with 40 per square. I add for every change they make from there. Different block, more money. Add a turn, more money. You want mulch around the wall instead of loam, more money. You get the idea. 40 dollars per square is a basic price for me. It has worked real well for me.

Mow&Snow
09-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Here is a wall I finished last week. This whole walkway/wall combo cost the customer a little over 9K.

Mow&Snow
09-13-2002, 08:06 PM
here's another

Mow&Snow
09-13-2002, 08:07 PM
oops I forgot to attach. lol

vardener
09-14-2002, 03:46 PM
Mow&Snow,

That wall looks real nice. I like the stone. Is that granite? What did you put down for your base? Is the wall mortared? Can I possibly have any more questions?

Thanks

Mow&Snow
09-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by vardener
Mow&Snow,

That wall looks real nice. I like the stone. Is that granite? What did you put down for your base? Is the wall mortared? Can I possibly have any more questions?

Thanks

Thanks. The blocks are man made, by a company called Bulduc. There is alot of choices in thier line up. These are thier topline product and cost about 12.50 a sq/ft to buy. They are made to be dry fitted without mortar as they lock together.
I was using stone dust as a base material for this project.

Mykster
09-15-2002, 12:43 AM
Very nice M&S. Hope this doesn't sound like to stupid of a question but, if they're homemade, are they easier to cut? What did you use to make your cuts?

Mykster
09-15-2002, 12:45 AM
Oh yeah, do they have a website?

Mow&Snow
09-15-2002, 12:55 AM
By man made I meant that they are not a natural stone. These blocks are made from dyed concrete by a manufacturer.

As for the cuts, I used a diamond blade in a cutoff saw, or simply broke them where needed with a hammer and chisel.

And by the way, there are no stupid questions, if you don't know the answers. Always ask if you wanna know....

vardener
09-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Thanks, brother.

aquaturf
09-16-2002, 03:39 PM
MS nice wall, that looks really nice! The information that all of you provided is very helpful, looks like I will be close to target. Any tips for mortaring the top layer of stone? I will be dry-setting and capping with mortar. I am using "flat stone", average thickness 1-2" and width about 8-12".

Stonehenge
09-16-2002, 07:15 PM
Mow & Snow, I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but Versa-Lok, Allan Block, Unilock, Anchor Block, etc, are all man-made. Segmental retaining wall units like the ones in your pick are plentiful - maybe they are a newer item in your area?

The project looks nice - I have a question - there's a big gap in 2 cap block in the wall section closest to the photographer in the 2nd photo - was that shot taken with that cut still to be made?

Mow&Snow
09-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Stonehenge
Mow & Snow, I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but Versa-Lok, Allan Block, Unilock, Anchor Block, etc, are all man-made. Segmental retaining wall units like the ones in your pick are plentiful - maybe they are a newer item in your area?

No they have been around for years...Not sure why u thought they were new to me. I was expaining to Vardener about them because he had asked if they were granite.

[/B][/QUOTE]The project looks nice - I have a question - there's a big gap in 2 cap block in the wall section closest to the photographer in the 2nd photo - was that shot taken with that cut still to be made? [/B][/QUOTE]

As for the gap....you know, I am very surprised that so many have noticed that. The picture was taken before the last 2 cuts were made to make them fit tight on the radias. We were losing daylight, so we wanted to get the picks taken before it was too dark.

Tom

Lanelle
09-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Aquaturf:
Just clarifying how you envision doing the cap on your wall. I see it as slightly larger stones mortared to the course immediately below with enough mortar on the sides of the cap stones to give it a continuous look. Is that how you see it?

aquaturf
09-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Yes, I think we are thinking the same thing. It would simply hold the top together as the wall is about 10" tall and on the edge of a sidewalk. All the top stones would be mortared together throughout the entire length and width of the top layer of the wall.

Stonehenge
09-16-2002, 09:00 PM
M&S, now that I reread your posts, I'm not sure why I thought they were new to you... must've been skimming the posts too quickly...:eek:

I think the gap shows up because it's the darkest thing in the frame, and it's just about centered in the pic.

scott's turf
09-17-2002, 12:31 PM
M&S that wall looks great! Where in NH are you located? I do most of my work in Derry.

Mow&Snow
09-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks. I live in Berwick Me, but I work mostly in the Dover, Portsmouth, Rye, and sometimes Durham areas.

Do you do any hardscaping or are you mostly mow?

Tom

scott's turf
09-18-2002, 07:24 AM
M&S, We mostly mow because I am a FT engineer and it is hard enough finding good help to mow let alone build walls. Any landscaping, other than mulching, I am there with help to complete.

Mow&Snow
09-18-2002, 11:14 AM
excellent!