PDA

View Full Version : would you buy 2wd?

highlander316
02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
this is what I'm wondering, if I actually need to buy a truck with it. I'm looking at buying a 1-ton dump (Chevy/GMC) and am wondering if I actually need 4wd. New prices and used prices (especially used) are lower. Here is what my plans for the truck are. From end of March to beginning of December the truck will be our main work truck. Pulling a mowing trailer, hauling debris, mulch, etc. I don't drive on peoples' lawns, so no getting stuck there. If I get stuck at the nursery/landfill, I doubt they are gonna leave me stuck (I might use 4wd once per season to get out of a situation like that).

I'm undecided for the winter what this truck will do. Either it will plow wide open lots and potentially carry a v-box or the sidewalk crew will use it and carry blowers, pallet of ice melt (and some stone for weight). What would everyone else do? I realize resale value on a 2wd 1-ton dump will be lower, but I plan on running this truck for quite some time. Thanks.

SimonCX
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I was in the same spot and ended up getting a 2wd 1-ton, rarely does it ever drive anywhere it can get stuck. Where there could be a problem you just have to be alittle careful, just because a truck has 4wd doesn't mean it will never get stuck.

93Chevy
02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
So long as it's not your only truck, you should be fine.

highlander316
02-08-2011, 06:28 PM
yea, I have a 2007 2500HD NBS that's 4x4 and a 97 3500 pickup that's 4x4 (that might get traded in), so having 4x4 isn't a problem. I'm just trying to decide if I would regret not having 4wd in the future? Do locking rears help?

STIHL GUY
02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
if you have enough weight in the bed and your only plowing flat perkin lots it should be fine with only 2wd

Puddle of Oil
02-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I would get a 4x4, no way would I ever buy a 2wd.

AI Inc
02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I own 1 4x4 and 2, 2wd. That being said , I would never plow with a 2 wd.

South Florida Lawns
02-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Well if you live in the city and don't plow snow you really don't need 4x4 for grass cutting. Heck you get better ride bigger towing capacity (on some trucks) and slightly better fuel economy. I have been doing this a long time and I have never once wished I had 4x4.

MDLawn
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Really depends on your location. The place I dump debris can vary greatly between dry wood chips to large mud ruts made by a front loader. Even in 4x4 it was slipping around, although with a dump trailer attached. Necessary? Is anything? Convenient....you bet. Yea there is a difference in price for sure but I'll take the flip of switch or lever any day. I don't plow but with the lake effect snow here in western new york I couldn't imagine not having a 4x4. Again I like the convenience of it but whatever works with your situation.

punt66
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
if your plowing get a 4x4. You will regret it if you dont. Think resale as well.

stroker51
02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Second that, 2wd trucks are worth nothing at resale time, I have been looking for another 4x4 for plowing and keep seeing the 2wds for thousands and thousands less than comparable 4x4s. We actually do a lot of plowing in 2wd, but those few little times a snow you get stuck, you just grab 4x4 and go again. I plow in a F350 4x4 dually dump with a 10' v-spreader that weighs at least 1500 alone and occasionally have trouble getting around, with a full salter, no problem but that is too much weight to push with. So 4x4 is handy there for plowing with an empty salter. There are a handful of guys in town that still plow with old ford and chevy 2wd one tons, and a couple operations with plows on the cabovers.

mmacsek
02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Highlander, I'm in the minority but don't care. We work in the same areas and if you 're not going to use for plowing get 2wd. My main truck from end of March until leaves are done is my Isuzu cabover. I have used the truck for 2 years and my 1989 Ford Superduty before that and didn't need 4wd in either. It gets mucky where I dump and never came close to getting stuck. A few years ago I brought this subject up to another colleague and his reply was, How do you think we did it in the old days? As far as resale I run them until the end. Good Luck! Matt

GreenI.A.
02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Im picking up a preowned 07 250 2wd and had the same concearns if I want to spend the extra 3k for 4wd. But I decided it was fine because i need crew cab 8ft bed, this is going to be set up as my irrigation/lighting truck. This winter I passed out and hit my head in the house during a bad snow storm, my girlfriend was able to get in my truck and with me explaining to her how to use the 4wd she was able to drive me to the hospital. No way in hell I would ever not have a 4wd in the yard just incase now