PDA

View Full Version : Bidding Hedge and Mulch Jobs

xtremelawn
02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
We are hiring a sales person this year and I am trying to come up with a good formula for bidding hedge and mulch jobs. Does anyone use a formula when bidding these type jobs? If so could you please share that formula with me.

Thanks

fastpine
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I personally charge $10-$15 per 4'x6' hedge..

LB1234
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
My mulch formula:

# yards of mulch multiplied by my service fee to install mulch (per yard) equals total mulch install price

does it need to be any more complicated than this:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

StihlBR600
02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
What is your service fee to install mulch?

LB1234
02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
What is your service fee to install mulch?

anywhere from 65 all the way to 110

Think Green
02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Xtreme,
If you have been in this business for some time you will want to acknowledge the time needed for one man to perform a specific task.
I have timed certain shrubbery and then timed hedges. The times will vary greatly depending on factors of experience and growth rates and duration. Then you will have to figure in the removal--fuel--machine use and labor. I am sure there are companies that use a specific formula......unlike figuring mowing of property with special shaped islands.
The variables you will encounter will either increase or decrease profit margins from task to task. With time you will be able to accurately bid on shrubbery jobs and mulch.

Mulching is pretty much the same thing. You will need to know how long it will take one man to apply a cu yd of mulch. Measuring the area of the bed, given the depth and the amount of cu yds needed will influence the time for the job. The other factor is bagged or bulk mulch used. Is there machinery used in the distribution of the material-manpower needed to perform the task. I know that most of us use a cost per yard of mulch method as it usually eliminates hidden problems you encounter. Either way, calculate what a man can do in an hour and how much productivity he does. Then if you use 2-3 men to do the work, the time is cut to 1/3 or 1/2. Company's will base labor hours and this should be at a constant, then your profit percentage and your equipment recovery is needed.

This person you plan to hire needs to have the experience in installations and basic knowledge on maintenance. If they don't you will need to know all the punches and train them. You are relying on them to make you money.............not lose it.

StihlBR600
02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
$65? thats nuts i was thinking round $45. This is going to be my first year doing mulch installation. So anymore tips or tricks i anyone has i would like to know

Think Green
02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
If you went and bought 9 bags of XX mulch at the store, you would spend around 4.00 per bag. You have 36.00 invested and a gain of 9.00 in your pocket. Is this enough profit for your time.? You buy a yard of bulk mulch for 28.00 then you have a profit of 17.00.
Take out your vehicle, insurance, maintenance, labor,etc. What do you have left.?

I don't know the qualities of mulches and availability there, but it is not all the same everywhere.

You generate a good customer base that is reliant on your current rate. You decide to expand and hire a employee.......this cuts into your profit. The mulch market plummets and becomes slow like it did here last year. The mulch shoots up to 45.00 a yd, then what.? You have to play the market and not stay so complacent with a set price.
Always tell your customers that mulch fluctuates from one season to another--like plants. The price is subject to increases without notice.

I charge 65.00 a yard to install, delivery fee and labor. If I didn't, then might as well get out of this business and let the low ballers take over.
I didn't get all these licenses to play cheapo! Fair is ok, but too low is disastrous.

I am not ribbing you---just being plain honest.

XLS
02-10-2011, 08:17 PM
BR600 hope you will take my advise on this . at 45.00 its to low so you dont misunderstand me on it what ever you local mulch yard gets for mulch ,reguardless of your cost multiply it by 3.75 your mulch cost as a minimum .you will get plenty of work .

We cover our state and that number works well reguardless of the town , at that price its still low in average . Dont short change your business , and up sale all additional work in those beds at your regular rate . .
Use a pitch fork not a scoop
rake with the fork and if a smoother apperance is needed use a blower to make it happen and do your cleanup at the same time .
We install 35,000 bags of mulch from lowes a year at $10.00 a 3c.u.ft bag installed, our cost is $2.25 with a $ 80.00 minimum plus additional work, cleanups,trimming, edging ect.
Hope it helps.

StihlBR600
02-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you for all the advice. Im glad i found this thread. I will be buying mulch in bulk for around $30 per yard. So basically i should be charging about $100 per yard installed?

StihlBR600
02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Think Green i think you misunderstood me. I meant charge $45 for the labor. So $30 per yerd of mulch plus $45 for labor. So around $75 per yard installed was what i was thinking haha. Im not dumb i wouldnt make $9 installing a yard of mulch.

Think Green
02-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I commend you then. I stand corrected to your intentions. Often, I read posts and responses from those that seem to confuse expense from profit margins.
During the building crash of the last couple of years, pine products has suffered here as well as some hardwoods. The price went through the roof for us. Most customers waited til the stockpile was back to normal before they mulched. Was a bad time for us in profits.

StihlBR600
02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Ive got another question about mulch. Ok so if i go get the mulch my self and bring it to the job how much should i charge then? I can probably get 4 yards in my trailer.

XLS
02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I read it the same way as think green ...... I honestly would be cautious on the 4 yards but you know your trucks capabilities. It would depend on the drive time expected , I would list the cost of the mulch then at the time it took to get from the yard to your place ,or job then add in the cost of fuel ,your time and your trucks cost and your regular profit margin.(you could be working if you wasnt hauling mulch) so off your numbers $30.00x4 120.00 cost 1 hour pickup $40.00 and 20.00 in fuel . brings your cost to $180.00 per load or 45.00per yard. Its about knowing your numbers. we personally charge 50/35
$50.00 load fee in the city plus $ 35.00 hour on top if its out of the city.

StihlBR600
02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
So with me picking up 4 yards and installing it the total would be around $400 for the customer

Barrett Landscaping
02-10-2011, 10:14 PM
cant imagine paying $35 for mulch... get it here for $18 with landscapers discount. I charge $80 a yard which includes delivery if over 4 yards which is the norm for around here.

StihlBR600
02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Its $30 here. So how much would would you charge for 3 yards?

ColvinsPS
02-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Do you consider bed preparation into your yard of mulch or is that considered an hourly landscaping cost to the customer in your business? It has been seperate for me but i have thought about trying to incorporate the cost into the yard applied. Maybe not a good idea!?

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Just a few thoughts. BR600 - my prices are about like yours it was $32/yd last year. There is no way you will pull 4 yds in that trailer - I would suggest starting small which will help you work out the "kinks" in your pricing before doing a BIG order. Get a LoadHandler for your pickup - saved me a LOT of time when I was starting out. Bigger companies on here can charge less because of the volume that they sell, but I would suggest you charge around $100-120 per yd installed.

Colvins - No, I never include the bed preparation with the price of mulch - you never know how bad shape the beds might be in - We charge regular labor rate for that.

Guzzo856
02-11-2011, 08:05 AM
as far as mulch i charge $52 per yard installed. i may up it to $60

StihlBR600
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Im positive i can get 4 yards into that trailer. No problem at all. Mulch weighs about 900 pounds per yard at the most so thats 3600 pounds of mulch. Anf i have a ranger that cant even hold a yard of mulch. Load handlers are pointless. Why waste more money when i can use equipment that i already have. Guzzo how the hell do you charge $52 per yard installed? how much are you getting mulch for? Even if your getting it for $20 per yard your inly making $30 per yard....

LB1234
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Its $30 here. So how much would would you charge for 3 yards?

It doesn't matter what others would charge...someone can be making money charging $50 while some other company can be losing money by charging 65 per yard. It depends on YOUR expenses.

Ask yourself...

What does it cost me to operate per hour? What are the direct expenses of my job? How many man-hours is this job going to run me? What is my expected profit margin? Answer these questions and you can figure out what you can/would like to charge.

944own
02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I always use the 3ft bags from ace and end up paying $27 yd you only need something that can hold 36 bags to be hauling 4 yds that is not that much. I have put a pallet of mulch 45 bags at 5yds on the back of my 12ft trailer with a ztr on the front.

Barrett Landscaping
02-11-2011, 07:00 PM
should be easily able to put 6 yards in that trailer. hell i put 3-4 yards in my f250 all the time and another 4 yards in my 6x12 trailer all the time.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Im positive i can get 4 yards into that trailer. No problem at all. Mulch weighs about 900 pounds per yard at the most so thats 3600 pounds of mulch. Anf i have a ranger that cant even hold a yard of mulch. Load handlers are pointless. Why waste more money when i can use equipment that i already have. Guzzo how the hell do you charge $52 per yard installed? how much are you getting mulch for? Even if your getting it for $20 per yard your inly making $30 per yard....

Yes, you can get 4 yards INTO the trailer...it's the getting out that's going to suck and be time consuming....Why is a loadhandler pointless, did you have one? did you use one for mulch before?....But since you are 18 yrs old and know everything, be my guest and knock yourself out. :drinkup:

Barrett Landscaping
02-11-2011, 11:27 PM
its because he has a ranger.. . duh

S&J LAWN
02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
It cost me $35 and I buy over 3000 yds

DaytonBioLawns
02-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Thank you for all the advice. Im glad i found this thread. I will be buying mulch in bulk for around $30 per yard. So basically i should be charging about $100 per yard installed?

We are about $75 per yard installed by one man. The formula changes when you add in labor. Remember the principle of diminishing return while doing this. Let's say, for ease, you pay a driver $15/hr and helpers $10/hr.

You want to decide where more help actually helps and where it hurts you. We can say for the purposes of this thread that 2 people work up to 10 yards and three people work until 25 yards.

Your price for mulch is (as you stated) $30/yd so....

~3yd X $30= $90~ Material Cost
roughly one yd/man hour
~$15+$10= $25.... and then actual cost to employee can be roughly found multiplying by 1.35....... so $25 X 1.35= $33.75/HR on site~

For that three yards and travel you need two hours..... So $67.5+$90= $157.5

Then you need to evaluate other costs. Gas... say $20 and insurance.... $5 and other office/admin..... $10......
$35+ $157.5=$192.5

You are at $64/yd and have only made costs plus worker wages.... which is not even a true break even if you factor in depreciation of equipment and equipment replacement.

Choose your profit margin and find out the "true markup". To get a gross profit of 25% you must multiply out for 33.3 % I just say 1.35 on my mark ups to be safe and get the actual margin....

So in this model you need $87/yd installed to make a good profit. It is all a numbers game.

Okay.... I'm tired but I think you should get the point but.... ya....:laugh: it all changes depending on your numbers.... But $75-$100 per yard is pretty normal. We try to base our pricing on what is normal around us. 3-4 yd installs on homes is pretty normal in our area. Two people can do this very fast. I think our two person labor really was hindered at like 12 yds and not 10 last year. Every person you add will do less. You always lose productivity with large crews. People get in the way, socialize, and don't work as hard in crews over 3 people. There is too much coordination and management as well. All of my stuff has 2 or 3 people on it.

I hope this helps you a little.

coolluv
02-12-2011, 08:13 AM
We are about $75 per yard installed by one man. The formula changes when you add in labor. Remember the principle of diminishing return while doing this. Let's say, for ease, you pay a driver $15/hr and helpers $10/hr.

You want to decide where more help actually helps and where it hurts you. We can say for the purposes of this thread that 2 people work up to 10 yards and three people work until 25 yards.

Your price for mulch is (as you stated) $30/yd so....

~3yd X $30= $90~ Material Cost
roughly one yd/man hour
~$15+$10= $25.... and then actual cost to employee can be roughly found multiplying by 1.35....... so $25 X 1.35= $33.75/HR on site~

For that three yards and travel you need two hours..... So $67.5+$90= $157.5

Then you need to evaluate other costs. Gas... say $20 and insurance.... $5 and other office/admin..... $10......
$35+ $157.5=$192.5

You are at $64/yd and have only made costs plus worker wages.... which is not even a true break even if you factor in depreciation of equipment and equipment replacement.

Choose your profit margin and find out the "true markup". To get a gross profit of 25% you must multiply out for 33.3 % I just say 1.35 on my mark ups to be safe and get the actual margin....

So in this model you need $87/yd installed to make a good profit. It is all a numbers game.

Okay.... I'm tired but I think you should get the point but.... ya....:laugh: it all changes depending on your numbers.... But $75-$100 per yard is pretty normal. We try to base our pricing on what is normal around us. 3-4 yd installs on homes is pretty normal in our area. Two people can do this very fast. I think our two person labor really was hindered at like 12 yds and not 10 last year. Every person you add will do less. You always lose productivity with large crews. People get in the way, socialize, and don't work as hard in crews over 3 people. There is too much coordination and management as well. All of my stuff has 2 or 3 people on it.

I hope this helps you a little.

Great post. You newbies need to learn from this. I don't do much mulch because the the undocumented displaced foreign workers will do it for $45 a yard. Around here I pay anywhere from $25 to $30 a yard so I don't know how these guys can do it for $45. Most legit companies are low on mulch too, at least in my opinion. Most charge anywhere from $55 to $65 a yard. I charge $75 a yard for at least 3 yards, if less I charge more. I hate mulch so I don't care if I don't do much of it. Same with Pine Straw. I won't put Pine Straw down for $4 or $4.50 a bale like most around here. Legit companies are around $5.50 to $7 per bale.

I hate Pine Straw too but I will do it for my customers and others if they want to pay me what I want. My minimum is $6. I'm not going to pay people to do their dirty work or make $5 an hour. I could be in the A/C flippin burgers or sweeping floors and make more than that.

Thats the problem with this area, too many Hill Billy's and undocumented displaced foreign workers. Like my politically correct description. You can't call them illegals anymore that's not politically correct. Meanwhile they can lower your wages and drop your standard of living. Dontcha just love how prices keep dropping because of the open boarders. :usflag:

Dave...

StihlBR600
02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
So how is unloading it directly from a trailer and putting into a wheelbarrow any different from taking it from a pile in someones driveway? I dont see how my method is going to be any harder than loading a wheel barrow from a mulch pile sitting in a driveway. And the reason why im only going to be able to get 4 yards in my trailer is because 4 yards=3,600 lbs. + my trailer 1,400= 5,000 lbs. My ranger is going to die when i try to pull that. I think the max towing on mine is only 3,500.

DaytonBioLawns
02-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Great post. You newbies need to learn from this. I don't do much mulch because the the undocumented displaced foreign workers will do it for $45 a yard. Around here I pay anywhere from $25 to $30 a yard so I don't know how these guys can do it for $45. Most legit companies are low on mulch too, at least in my opinion. Most charge anywhere from $55 to $65 a yard. I charge $75 a yard for at least 3 yards, if less I charge more. I hate mulch so I don't care if I don't do much of it. Same with Pine Straw. I won't put Pine Straw down for $4 or $4.50 a bale like most around here. Legit companies are around $5.50 to $7 per bale.

I hate Pine Straw too but I will do it for my customers and others if they want to pay me what I want. My minimum is $6. I'm not going to pay people to do their dirty work or make $5 an hour. I could be in the A/C flippin burgers or sweeping floors and make more than that.

Thats the problem with this area, too many Hill Billy's and undocumented displaced foreign workers. Like my politically correct description. You can't call them illegals anymore that's not politically correct. Meanwhile they can lower your wages and drop your standard of living. Dontcha just love how prices keep dropping because of the open boarders. :usflag:

Dave...

Thank you for the compliment. I feel like I am the man now lol :laugh:.... When in reality I have just been learning this the hard way since 2007. I am only 18 and have a business and employees and such. So there is a lot that is achievable. Don't let anyone stop you or dictate what you do and how much you do it for! Just go out there and talk to as many people in business as possible.

ReddensLawnCare
02-12-2011, 10:00 PM
I typically charge 75 per yard, delivered and installed if near the mulch yard..more if further. The only time I will charge less is when I have many yards near by. I have an HOA in which the homeowners can choose if they want to pay extra for mulch instead of needles. Each bed takes .85 yards to mulch at 2 inches.. I get a dump truck to deliver 15 yards in the parking lot, Charge each homeowner 55 bucks and pay 22.5 per yard plus a $30 Delivery fee. That comes out to 935 rev. - 337.5= 597.5 before my small fuel cost and I do all the work myself. I feel like I make out OK for one days work. As far as shrubs go... I charge 45 per hour to trim most shrubbery with my small hedge trimmers...for the tall stuff 55 per hour. You have to know how much you can do in an hour. If you have a job that looks like it will take quite a while, you might want to lower you rate a bit. hope that helps.

XLS
02-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I want to say this BR hope you listen We use rangers here and i must tell you on a 14 foot trailer using a pallet of mulch (5 yards) you can load it if its lose i would fear over 4 yards HONESTLY because its not the hauling of materials that would worry me its the stopping it . on a pallet you can load the trailer over the wheels ONLY and then it wont effect your stopping that much . add weight toward your front and your rearend drops and your brakes suck . There isnt a much better feel then stopping and your front wheels lock up while the back and trailer rolls to a stop. IT HAPPENS .

StihlBR600
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I have dual brakes on my trailer. Im not worried about stopping at all lol. I load that thing up with as much mulch as i can possibly get in it as long as the job gets done. Built ford tough right? we'll see what the ranger can do loaded down with 6,000 lbs!!

StihlBR600
02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
So about how long does it take an average guy to install 1 yard of mulch? just want to get some idea of what i can make an hour on a mulch job

ReddensLawnCare
02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I know i am not the smartest person on here when it comes to trucks and trailers..i have used a fair share, and i have been in the position where you just cant stop that well even with trailer brakes...and I think that "built ford tough" stuff only applies to vehicles that were made to tow 6000 plus the trailer weight...go for it if you want, but be careful. I think two trips to the yard is cheaper than a new truck or trailer.. but hey...do your thing

StihlBR600
02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
The trailer brakes alone will stop the whole rig....so theres nothing to worry about. I wont be going over 10 miles loaded so i think the ranger will handle it. Any answer to how long it takes to install 1 yard of mulch?

ReddensLawnCare
02-13-2011, 10:44 PM
It depends on the person, the distance from the trailer, and the environment. If it is a tight area, you will spend more time spreading rather than an open area. It will take trial and error before you know how long it will take. Every LCO is different. I can do a yard in 15 minutes when Im just throwing off the trailer, all the way up to 45 minutes when i have to load the wheel burrow and spread in small beds...

StihlBR600
02-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Ok i just was trying to get a feel of how much i can make in an hour installing mulch for about $80 per yard, getting the mulch for $30. Seems like i can make about $100 an hour, assuming i can do 2 yards in an hour.

LB1234
02-14-2011, 08:27 AM
The trailer brakes alone will stop the whole rig....so theres nothing to worry about. I wont be going over 10 miles loaded so i think the ranger will handle it. Any answer to how long it takes to install 1 yard of mulch?

how fast can you walk with a 10 cuft wheelbarrel and how far do you have to go. Three trips with that is a yard...still have to spread it. One person should be 30 minutes tops.

StihlBR600
02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Ok thats what i thought. Seems like theres pretty good money in mulch.

XLS
02-14-2011, 11:27 AM
We use flat haullers ,not wheelbarrows and bags and 1 man can do a yard in 15 tops with the bed prep done.

StihlBR600
02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Why is a flat hauler faster? it doesnt seem like it holds as much. Say someone has mulch in their flower beds and its been like 2 years since they last put mulch in. What kind of bed preping is there to do?

Oh and what if the person says they want to have the mulch delivered themselves and they just need you to install it. What would you charge?

ReddensLawnCare
02-14-2011, 01:18 PM
You said there is good money in mulch jobs, but where the real money is IMOP, is the bed prep and up selling. Bed prep can be anything from tilling, adding amendments, plating flowers, pulling weeds, applying barrier paper, ect. Everything you can do to make the bed look better and yield better results for the homeowner. If the Homeowner has it delivered, thats where you need to know how much you can spread in an hour and how much you want to make per hour. Figure your price from that.

StihlBR600
02-14-2011, 05:35 PM
There is no way im going to pull weeds. Done that once and never going to do it again. So what if someone has a flower bed that hasnt been maintained for years and its just all weeds, but there is still mulch i it? Pull all the weeds?

ohiogreenworks
02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
lol, if you're a landscaper, and you want to do mulch, you will pull weeds.

Of course, I'm not familiar with Michigan. Maybe weeds do not grow up there?

:laugh:

So you are going to charge 75/yard installed. That includes the price of mulch, so if someone has it delivered themselves and they pay for it, just take off what your price of mulch is. So if it is 25 bucks a yard, then just charge 50 a yard installed. No difference in who buys the mulch, it is still 75/yard installed, no?

StihlBR600
02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
What im saying is im not wasting my time just on a weed pulling job. Its way to time consuming and recks your back. Its not worth it to me.

ohiogreenworks
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I understand pulling weeds sucks. But it is most likely a vital part of mulch installations, unless you are in an area that does not have weeds. Charge accordingly for it and it can be a profitable part of bed prep. :)

StihlBR600
02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah so what is accordingly to pull weeds like an immigrant? $7.50 an hour?

ReddensLawnCare
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
wow...ok..so at first I was thinking that you were a hard worker ready to work for a living, and with mulch it is hard work...but dont do a job half a** just b/c its easier to not do something. Landscaping is hard work..if you want the easier stuff, low profit margin, stick to just mowing. I agree pulling weeds suck...charge what you feel its worth to you...if you dont get what it is worth to you, dont do it...that simple...somebody else who is hungry will do it. Not all jobs with landscaping are miserable, but you do have to engage in a few to make it to the sweet, money making jobs. For example, pulling weeds is hard...you pull the weeds you get to install the mulch, you do a good job with that, you get to plant flowers and shrubs...do a good job with that and make a good rep for yourself, you will soon have the whole property full service if you want it...just something to think about..im not trying to be a jerk, but there are some things we just have to do. And its hard to really recommend pricing b/c I do not know your cost, or the maret price in your region.

ohiogreenworks
02-14-2011, 09:44 PM
wow...ok..so at first I was thinking that you were a hard worker ready to work for a living, and with mulch it is hard work...but dont do a job half a** just b/c its easier to not do something. Landscaping is hard work..if you want the easier stuff, low profit margin, stick to just mowing. I agree pulling weeds suck...charge what you feel its worth to you...if you dont get what it is worth to you, dont do it...that simple...somebody else who is hungry will do it. Not all jobs with landscaping are miserable, but you do have to engage in a few to make it to the sweet, money making jobs. For example, pulling weeds is hard...you pull the weeds you get to install the mulch, you do a good job with that, you get to plant flowers and shrubs...do a good job with that and make a good rep for yourself, you will soon have the whole property full service if you want it...just something to think about..im not trying to be a jerk, but there are some things we just have to do. And its hard to really recommend pricing b/c I do not know your cost, or the maret price in your region.

Good post with a lot of truth in it. So many guys come on here wanting pricing info. Get out there and do the work and figure out your own pricing. At some point you have to do the work and figure it all out. No one online can tell anyone what to charge. Isn't that the reason we all became self employed to make our own decisions on work and money? :hammerhead:

StihlBR600
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I am a very hard worker. But im a smart worker also. Im not going to break my back all day pulling weeds. Its not worth it to me. Ive been down that road and learned my lesson the first time. Id rather install 20 yards of mulch before i have to do the same old boring thing over and over again bending over picking what seems to be the same weed over and over again. Picking weeds is just one of those things that you cant hustle and get the job done quick.

LB1234
02-15-2011, 09:35 AM
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

this is EXACTLY why I stopped posting on this thread. He doesn't want to listen.

ReddensLawnCare
02-15-2011, 09:37 AM
You know...just do what you want to do...i wish you luck

XLS
02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
If they deliver ,we let them install it ...... we provide it in a bag ONLY
we dont pull a weed 1 never , without chemical lic. we can spray beds ,so we do.
and we have a flat cart that is 4'x4' and we just pile like 9 bags and we push them to the spot in 5 minutes we can unload the 5 yard pallets,as they are unloaded about 3' apart it dont take alot of time to make it a light load

NPMinc
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah so what is accordingly to pull weeds like an immigrant? $7.50 an hour?

What an ignorant little SOB you are. How do you even have customers? Landscaping is a physically demanding, FULL SERVICE business, and alot of the work sucks, but as others have said charge enough to make it worth it!!! If one of my employees simply mulched over top of lots of weeds they would be fired on the spot, No second chance!!!! Have you ever even done a mulch job? Beginning to question if you have based on all these questions you are asking. Then to say you are gonna tow a trailer with 6,000 lbs behind a 3.0 Ranger!!!! :hammerhead: I see in your signature you are 18 y/o and have a nice bit of equipment, but based on your clueless posts and and how naieve you seem to not have much experience in the field, so how you get all that stuff. Lemme guess Mom and Dads money huh?

StihlBR600
02-15-2011, 09:10 PM
No my mom and dad were both jobless when i started my company 2 years ago. I started with my push mower that was in my garage and a couple of houses down the sreet. Everything i have i paid for. Yeah i was 16 when i got my mower and did not have credit so my dad got a loan for me but i pay the payments every month. Iam a full time college student as well. First of all iam just getting into mulching this year obviously that why iam asking questions. I mainly cut grass and i do not want to get all the way into landscaping. And i never would just throw mulch down over weeds, im not a dumbass.

XLS
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
we dont really weed any beds at all just get rid of the height of them and put down some pre-emerge and burry them alive with 4'' of mulch it will smother the weeds and we come back weekly to service the account so we spray any tough weed before it grows out . saves alot of weeding.

StihlBR600
02-16-2011, 04:31 PM
That what i figured most smart people do. All the other guys are breaking their backs for nothing.

ReddensLawnCare
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
if 55 per hour is nothing...ill take it. I guess I dont see what is so hard about it and why everyone hates it. I wait till it rains or the ground is soft, pull out a small stool, put on some music and just pull...There are ones that are hard to get out, but with the right kind of tools...its really no problem..time consuming yes...but at 55 per hour..it is worth it to me. 5 hours of pulling and im looking at around 250 profit..i dont know another job I can do that...ok im done now

StihlBR600
02-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Well another major difference is that you need to do it to make a living....i dont.

ReddensLawnCare
02-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Very valid point.

Sweet Tater
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
as far as mulch i charge $52 per yard installed. i may up it to $60

Holy cow, I thought I was low at $75 a yrd installed:dizzy:

StihlBR600
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Ok ive came back with some usful information. My close family member has a LCO in the same county that i live in and he says he only charges $55-60 to deliver and install mulch. I thought he was CRAZY. I was planning on charging $80 per yard. The cheapest we can get mulch around here is $25 per yard. Im not thinking theres any money in doing mulch especially as a solo operator. Im only making $30 per yard