PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 Ford Diesel

gasracer
02-09-2011, 05:40 PM
I saw saw several comments about this engine and was wondering what the millage expectancy is before you start having problems? I have a chance to buy a 03 F-250 with 109,000 miles on it.I drove it and it seems pretty tight.
Thanks.

jkingrph
02-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I have an 03 but only 80,000 on it. Engine has never been touched.

South Florida Lawns
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
My friends 05 started having problems around 60k, had the head studs done head gasket. Its been in the shop a handful of times after that.

stroker51
02-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I am very close to pulling the trigger on one, just because we are needing another plow truck and they are more numerous than decent 7.3 trucks. I only know of one person that has had problem after problem with theirs around me. It's an 05, in the shop a lot. I have one friend with an 04, 177k and has had to do injectors, egr valve, and glow plugs. It's too bad they are so hit and miss in all reality. From what I gather when they are working they are a pretty good motor. Best advice I am seeing on this site and others is to get an oasis report from ford on whatever one you are looking at.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-09-2011, 10:17 PM
we bought an 06 6.0 in march '10 with 82K on it and a clean oasis report. its been flawless so far. this winter it runs a boss 9'2" v blade with wings (11' wide) and a 2yd salt dogg hopper that gets loaded with 2.5 tons of salt and this truck is unstoppable.

i had read alot of negativity about the 6.0 and alot of good. i only looked for 06-07 models as they are the safest bets and checked oasis reports for mechanical issues. 07's are very rare b/c they are reliable and owners are holding onto them.

in spring its getting an egr delete and new downpipe to let it run cooler making it more reliable.

heres a vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-72IX9fFUI

StihlBR600
02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I was going to buy a 2004 6.0L with only 42,000 on it and i looked up the service report and at 8,000 miles it had to get a new injector. Then later at about 12,000 it had to have the whole turbo assembly replaced. But the problem with that engine is that you could have a blown head gasket and not even know it. Check this video out....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wis6BFvI7zY skip to about half way through

mow king
02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
I've had two and although they do have their problems. It's fixable. Otherwise I love that motor/tranny combo. I currently have a cummins dodge and I miss that ford everyday.

IF you start having motor problems do the EGR delete and put in head studs and you're good to go.

jay12
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I have to agree with mow king. They are great trucks Ive had two with very little problems from them. I too drive a dodge now, which doesnt drive half as well as the fords. The 6.0s are hit or miss. Some are great trucks some have problems, I had good luck with them, decent fuel mileage with the 6 speed, automatic was not as good, but both ran and drove the best. As far as ride and drive they are as good as any.

unkownfl
02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I would seriously spend the extra dough and buy an 06-07 model year. Early model years were plagued with bad head studs. All years have the oil cooler and egr issue. I had two issues with mine actually three. At 15 miles it needed the computer re-flashed it wouldn't shift right and all the gauges were going crazy. at about 20k the rear seal was leaking oil I took it to the dealer they said it was the front oil pressure sensor leaking and blowing back. I know this was not the issue because I took the plug out of the bell housing and oil was in there. I took it back 5k miles later and they pulled the transfer case and tranny to put in the seal. I worked for a company that had a few hundred 03 and 04 models with maybe 20 05 models I would say almost everyone went to the shop for head gasket issues or oil cooler issues. Look at the coolant tank and see if it is clear plastic and not oil stained. If it's stained it had an oil cooler issue. All of the big three truck company's have issues with their diesels. The good thing about the trucks is if you have a lift they are pretty simple to work on.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
if you compare the amount of superduties sold with any powerstroke diesel, there are far more of them out there than any cummins or duramax in a 3/4-1ton truck.

so of course you will hear about all the bad b/c thats why people come on these forums for, to figure out problems or complain, how many threads have you seen that say: "Love my _______ truck!" you only see: "problem with my ______ truck/motor"

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
02-13-2011, 01:31 AM
I finally figured out what went bad in my 05 6.0 550. There was sand and MULCH/acorns in the tanks(pulled and flushed!It fried 2 Fuelpump/water in fuel sensors/fuel filter combo within 400 miles, 2 injectors 800.00 a 700.00 injection control module? No snow = mechanic is taking his time! I loved this truck till it acted up 2 months ago with 35000k on it??? 5-6mpg sucks though (crew 12' rackbody, 9.5 FisherV 3 yd sander in winter) or leafbox/24enclosed trailer combo in fall. Or 7000lb hydroseeder all summer pulling a 20,000lb trailer with excavator or tractor/harleyrake! Mabey I'll get better fuel economy with all it all fixed now! FYI it was all my fault with how the crap got in the tank, I never put the extended filler nozzles on the truck as they were handed to me because there was no bed on it when I purchased it for 52,000.00!!! What a mistake I paid for. And running the truck through a few storms back in 06 or 07 without a gas cap on didn't help. Then I can recall running it a few weeks in the summer without a gas cap because someone left the cap off and I was too busy to get a new one! Mustve spun the tires in some muddy ruts with mulch,but acorns? That's the kicker? There wasn't any dead animals in there so,this leads me to believe an ex disgruntal employee sat there one night and put acorns on the fillers? WTF right??? I'm putting my 04 6.0 deisel dump into the shop next week. Its high idling and stalling,but starts right up. Mabey like under a grand to overhaul it. Its got 68,000 miles on it,but not too much work done to it. Just in the beginning under warranty,but I feel like that was just the dealer looking fo extra warranty work! So despite being pissed at the trucks before. I feel like as long as they last another 6-7 yrs without dumping too much more money into them they r pretty good motors/trucks!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

FLCthes4:11-12
02-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I got a 06' f250 with the 6.0 in in and have put bout 135,000 miles on it. A lot of hard miles pulling 25' gn. I had to put a fuel injector module in it last summer bout $650.00 but thats been it. But i'm always waiting for the other shoe to fall just based on others expirence.

AVLC
02-18-2011, 05:14 PM
All of the big three diesels do NOT have problems. It is only the powerstrokes. Mainly the 6.0 they have more problems than cummin's and duramax's combined. If you ever picked up an issue of any diesel magazine from a few years ago you problem would find an article about a 6.0 problem. Many magazines would list that on the cover. I know their are many problems with them and they are difficult to fix. I remember reading one article that recommended pulling off the cab for many problems.
In the end if your looking for a truck around that year buy a cummins or a duramax. We have two Duramax's and love them.

jay12
02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I think serious duramax problems are typically everything pre 04 1/2. The lb7s have problems with injector failure, causing over heating and melt down when not caught in time. Ive seen tons of ruined motors, heads the whole bit, but it can be fixed with updated injectors I believe. I think all the newer duramaxs are pretty reliable from what Ive read and seen. Chevrolet is a hard truck to beat.

AVLC
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
jay12 is right some LB7s can have some problems almost all the problems seem to be injector related but it is a hit or miss. After the LB7 they are pretty much bulletproof from my experience and what I've heard but don't have one with that many miles yet.