PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette butts

garlar55
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I have 4 bank branches I maintain. One of the things they want me to do is clean up cigarette butts on a weekly basis. This would be quite time consuming as I am a solo worker. Is there a battery powered vacuum that would make this task a bit easier and quicker, or any others ideas you guys have.

Michdeere
02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I use a Billy Goat vac at my branches. This is my second one, I bought them both used for less than $250 each. They work great for butts...

93Chevy
02-09-2011, 08:58 PM
100 gal PTO-driven shop vac tied into the truck with a 150' 2" hose.

Think Green
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Chevy,
Do you have a picture of your so-called contraption.??
Before I will accept the concept to this novice, I need to see it!!
I am not saying it won't work but just curious of the improvisation. Must be engine driven!!or have you rigged it to your lawn mower.

93Chevy
02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Chevy,
Do you have a picture of your so-called contraption.??
Before I will accept the concept to this novice, I need to see it!!
I am not saying it won't work but just curious of the improvisation. Must be engine driven!!or have you rigged it to your lawn mower.

Don't have one...but would like to try to fabricate it.

johnsonslawnmanagement
02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Cigarette butts aren't such a problem at the banks we do, it's more ATM reciepts! We usually hit the banks before opening on Mondays and it's almost like snow from the weekend. Usually a bucket full at the least.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnnybow
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Stihl vacum shredder. Great investment. Really good for vacuming leafs out of river rock too

eco.lawns
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I hope your charging accordingly so you can pay for any disease you catch from touching them. I suggest gloves
Posted via Mobile Device

johnsonslawnmanagement
02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Smoking is a digusting habit. If I were a cop I would pull a pit manuver on any car I saw throw out a butt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Green Feet Lawn
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
We have a customer that has employees who always flick their butts into the snow banks. When the snow melts, they are still there. Hmmmm they don't just melt with the snow.

Think Green
02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
What gets me from the get go is this one question!
Did the original poster consider these items in his original bid??? It is often a question from those who didn't know of these problems prior to their bidding process.
I never obtained any commercial properties until I was way brown in the tooth!!!

cowchaser
02-11-2011, 12:00 AM
My question would be are proper recepticales made available to extinquish in? If there is it shouldn't be to bad i would guess. if there is not they will be everywhere. If nobody has done it for awhile the first time would be a nightmare.

Think Green
02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I will say this once--" Most if not all humans are lazy, inconsiderate, and will not walk 5 extra feet to throw away trash into most canisters." Most cities, towns, and municipalities have ordinances on trash and cigarette butt litter. This stuff ends up in the storm drains and takes manpower to keep cleaned out. The majority of society doesn't really think of the immense buildup of butt litter in the city waterways that make it to canals and rivers.
All of the commercial properties we maintain, we have discussed installing butt canisters and signage for patrons and pedestrians to use as they frequent the business. Often, these canisters become target for kids, vandals, and those lazy employees to play with while on break. The cycle doesn't cease.!! Public awareness of the problem doesn't really set in because of inadequate research and findings. The canisters may reduce butt accumulation by 10% if that. The rest is still littering the sidewalks and corners of the property. Issuing citations for littering by beat cops helps in controlling the habits of the puff and flick syndrome but a lot more has to be done before any of us see a significant reduction in efforts. Making a property smoke free is a big help for maintenance but it only makes things worse for those off site businesses. Trash is never ending............pollution will not stop and LCO's will continue to encounter this blight. All we can do is arm ourselves with appropriate equipment and get out there and make a difference. Be sure to charge for these inconveniences as it is a problem to the businesses or they would clean it up themselves.
One of my medical clinics tried this tactic to eliminate butts around employee areas. The Administrator gave out earned points to all those smoker employees that kept the break area outside cleaned prior to our arrival each week. At first it was on the up and up. Then after a month or so, the litter resumed its ugly head. The clinic opted to only hire non smoking nurses and staff. That didn't pan out well at all!!!!! Too discriminating.~~ A newspaper office we maintained did a similar offer with weekend dinners for the employees families. As I recall talking to the Director of Operations, no one even offered to accept the proposal as it was a infringement of their personal rights.
Because of the extra costs of paying us to clean the butts, the office neglected to offer any more incentives based on litter that cannot be controlled as a result of pedestrians.

This problem is no more easier to control as it is controlling gas prices.....!

cowchaser
02-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Just a thought, but where I work cigarette butts and containers to put them out are part of the Janitorial services. I find it strange it would be part of mowing services, but my company has been known for doing things the backasswards way.

Think Green
02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
chaser,
Around here, the butt issue is devoted outside.......of course! Janitorial or maintenance service to be more specific only deals with interior practices. Occasionally, an exterior light bulb or window needs washing and or painting. This is pretty much the norm for a janitor. Once the cigarette butt reaches the lot or grass areas, it becomes part of the LCO's contract to remove. I can't recall if the insurance of the employees covers medical issues dealing with hazardous material waste such as cig butts.
I have met and partook in plenty of meetings on these issues and the outcome has always been at best-----janitorial doesn't want to hassle with the problem. The exterior blight of these things raises more debate than it settles. This is why I wear medical gloves and mask when blowing around these areas for cleanup. The ash dust can be overpowering..............and I smoke. I am a select few that will field strip a butt and pocket it for littering is someone else's problem.....!!! I don't think of things like that.
In all big cities that I have traveled to, cigg butts are a problem at large. Most LCO's deal with them as part of their services......................and they charge for it. No different in my eyes as charging extra for cleaning off animal crap from my equipment. A homeowner is charged an extra XX amount per week for those that have pets. I approach all commercials businesses as being septic and treat things like it is a hospital. They want it clean, then clean it with a cost.

cutbetterthanyou
02-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Why not just take the blower before you start and blow them up into the lawn, then bag the lawn. I don't have the problem, but this seems to be the easy way to deal with the issue. Plus you don't have to touch them.