PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck or bumper pull behind trailer?

Evolving
02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm thinking of buying a gooseneck dump trailer in the spring. The few people that I've talked to said once you own a gooseneck trailer you will never go back to a bumper pull behind trailer again. Does anyone have experience owning and operating both styles of dump trailers?

GrunderIrri
02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
The wieght distribution of the GN are supieor over thier bumper pull brother. Also the turning radius with a GN is much better. But some people are hard on thier tailgates with them, but common sense solves that problem

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-11-2011, 01:43 PM
i was in a similar situation before i purchased my deckover equip. trailer.

the reason i went with the pintle setup was the fact that i can put it behind any of our 4 trucks, if i went with a GN, i would have to invest alot of $$$ to allow them to carry it.

also i am planning on purchasing a 26-33K range dump truck and wouldnt be able to haul a GN with that or any dump truck for that matter.

the truck i use to haul it most often is my 09 f350, and so i bought a curt hitch rated for 18K weight carrying (non distributing), it was the heaviest receiver i can find.

Puddle of Oil
02-11-2011, 05:38 PM
im looking at buying a trailer in the near future. interested in hearing some more thoughts.

pblc
02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
I'd agree with Pro Touch 100%. We went with the pintle deck over because our trucks do not currently have goosenecks in them (only one of the 5 does) - so I'd be out a substantial amount to equip them with a gooseneck receiver. If I only put it in one truck then I'd be limited to what I could tow it with. The pintle can be pulled by any truck. However this is a regular trailer - not a dump. We run dump trucks. So this post may be worthless to you but that's what we had to deal with...

4 seasons lawn&land
02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
if you get a dump truck you cant tow a goose. Thats a major PITA.

DaytonBioLawns
02-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I know how it is nice to have a GN trailer. i would get it if I had a truck that hauled solely heavy equipment and pallets.... But most of us will never only do that.

If you get a dump truck instead, then you can use a loader into the bed and still pull mowers and blowers and such on a trailer. It makes more sense in the budget and a bumper pull class III or class IV setup will have a much better return on investment. GN trailers are worth it for tires, but you will get nothing back out of it in reality because less people use them.

Go with a pintle system and get a dump truck BEFORE getting a dump trailer. I like dump trailers a lot....but it is just not worth it when you work out your cleanup setup for spring and fall.

If you are set on a GN system look into roll off or roll-n-go systems. Not that much more and you can earn a lot renting dumpsters and delivering pallets. It is a whole other facet of business.