PDA

View Full Version : Pavers next to Concrete??

RwADesigner
09-08-2002, 07:17 PM
When you install a paver patio next to an existing concrete or paver patio how much higher should new pavers be raised to adjust for the settling?

steveair
09-08-2002, 07:46 PM
hello,

no real answer here. The concrete patio may or may not continue to settle. The pavers, if installed correctly, shouldn't settle either, but eventually, there is going to be a little bit of give and take somewhere.

I would install them flush with the concrete. A trip edge is not something you want to be responsible for.....

As for the settling, I would just explain to the client, that though you are sure your pavers are installed to to or above standard practice, and that due to the nature of the installation, some movement may eventually occur between the two......either that or tell them they have to rip up that ugly concrete and just do the whole thing in pavers, but I imagine that is not a option at this point.

steve

Lanelle
09-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Install the new pavers 1/8"proud.

Pelican
09-14-2002, 10:51 PM
I might be reading the question a bit differently. When I am in this situation, I set the sand course so the pavers are 1/2 inch above the existing grade you are matching. Then when you do your final tamping, the sand compacts at the rate so the pavers are flush with the existing grade.

kris
09-14-2002, 11:09 PM
Your finished product should always end up flush IMO. I would not count on anything settling. I don't like seeing finished product with "toe stubbers", or trip hazards.
If your question was relating to the height of pavers before compaction then we go about a 1/4 inch higher.

paul
09-14-2002, 11:34 PM
Here's a bit of info I have found about concrete guys....they never compact their gravel base as well as paver installers. So over time the edges of the pavers will settle along the concrete as fines travel under ther concrete. I leave my pavers 1/8" proud on all concrete walks and am very carefull around curbs.