PDA

View Full Version : has anyone worked for trugreen?

lyndont
02-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Thinking about trying to work there. I mow part time right now but I think it would be a good learning experience and I would probably enjoy it a lot more than what I am doing now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Don't think you'll find many TG fans here.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
1977 to 1982. Expect to work hard and put up with some big corp bullstuff. You may have a quota of 1000 dollars per day in production. Sometimes the accounts are undermeasured by some salesman. Don't be surprized if you are doing a 12,000 sqft lawn and getting paid to cover 8,000. So maybe the real quota is $1200 per day. Plan to cover about 18 to 20 stops and about 160,000 sqft or more. We worked every Saturday, 7 to 5. We didn't get paid overtime. TruGreen "forgot" to pay my social security to the government in 1980 and 1981. Except for that its a fun time.

Barefoot James
02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
What kind of money do they make a year? Do they pay health benefits and if so are the benefits any good. What does the employee pay for them?

lyndont
02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Is the money pretty decent
Posted via Mobile Device

CHARLES CUE
02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
From what i have read on here you would get the experience part good or bad ?

Charles Cue

sprayboy
02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
You will learn what not to do in the lawn care industry.

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
On the positive side of things you would somewhat learn that side of the business. Every bit of experience you learn in this industry gives you a hand up on others.

On the negative side. I talk to about a dozen TG guys that service some of my clients lawns throughout the season. It seems that they have a lot of turnover because their is alway a new guy. I have only talked to one that really liked working for them. Most of them complained about issues that have already been mentioned above.

If they treat their employees no better than they treat their customers, I expect they burn through them pretty quick and do a lot of replacing because they have the money to do so.

Barefoot James
02-11-2011, 11:02 AM
What kind of money do they make a year? Do they pay health benefits and if so are the benefits any good. What does the employee pay for them?

Come on - nobody here ever worked for TG and knows what kind of money those guys are paid:confused: What kind of benefits they offer:confused:

Kiril
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I worked for TG .................................. oh wait, that was a nightmare I had last night. :laugh:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I should ask one of the techs someday when I see them working next door to my customers...'how do you like your job, anyway?'

Patriot Services
02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Doesn't the "hang dog" look on every TG techs face tell you all you need to know
Posted via Mobile Device

phillie
02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I used to work for them for 9 yrs. Pay def. depends on how much you do. The last year I worked there I made 28000, 7000 less than the year before. I did alot more work than the year before. The last year I worked, I did 38 million sqft on foot for 265'000. If I were you I would look at a smaller company that will pay you hourly. Tg will have you work every sat. including the sat. before easter, memorial day week end, rain, sleet, snow. Trust me it is not a good place to work. Save yourself the trouble and get experience from a company that cares for its customers and its employees.

Patriot Services
02-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Exactly what did they have you spraying in snow and sleet? Antifreeze?
Posted via Mobile Device

Barefoot James
02-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I used to work for them for 9 yrs. Pay def. depends on how much you do. The last year I worked there I made 28000, 7000 less than the year before. I did alot more work than the year before. The last year I worked, I did 38 million sqft on foot for 265'000. If I were you I would look at a smaller company that will pay you hourly. Tg will have you work every sat. including the sat. before easter, memorial day week end, rain, sleet, snow. Trust me it is not a good place to work. Save yourself the trouble and get experience from a company that cares for its customers and its employees.
I would imagine they also gave you health benefits? How much did you have to pay a month for those?
So were you able to start your own business? Or just swich companies to work for somebody who cares about you?

phillie
02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I started my own bus. and haven't looked back. Indiana is a right to make a living state so they couldn't mess with me to much. I got cease to exist papers alot, then at somepoint they finally forgot about me.. My benefits costed 80 a month but I don't have kids or any dependants. I heard that they are now terminating all techs. every year instead of just a layoff so in the winter you have to go through copra. The last couple years I worked there tg didn't pay my benefits but still took it out of my check. I got a letter one day saying I owed 5-6 hundred for benefits. So you won't be working for very competent managers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barefoot James
02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow they sound like a horror story:dizzy: Having a family and getting terminated each winter and having to go on Cobra Ins - that's about 1200 a month. How are they able to ramp up and start working again in FEB/MAR.
How many guys in Indianapolis did they have running routes and did they all do over 200K a year? The owners are making big $$'s at their employees expense:cry: Good for you getting out on your own. Probably doing 25% of the buisness you were and making more money:rolleyes:

phillie
02-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Wow they sound like a horror story:dizzy: Having a family and getting terminated each winter and having to go on Cobra Ins - that's about 1200 a month. How are they able to ramp up and start working again in FEB/MAR.
How many guys in Indianapolis did they have running routes and did they all do over 200K a year? The owners are making big $$'s at their employees expense:cry: Good for you getting out on your own. Probably doing 25% of the buisness you were and making more money:rolleyes:
Exactly, it was horrible for the last 5 years or so. Tg has 2 branches in Indianapolis(north and west) They have about 22 routes in both locations, my friend that still works there said that the branch manager last year was bragging to them in a meeting that they were going to profit a little over 2 million. He said that got him p.o. considering he made less and worked more. Personally last year I doubled my best year ever working there and did less than half the sqft. I guess the only positive I learned from them was marketing. As much as everybody hates them you have to agree they are really good at marketing. I have said it many times...They are a marketing company that just so happens to sell lawncare. By the way thanks barefoot for the comment.:drinkup:

phillie
02-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh ya, most of the guys that were hitting 200k had been there all year. Most of the guys were consistantly new so they were not hitting that much. They couldnt keep an employee to save there lives. That right there should tell you something.

Patriot Services
02-12-2011, 09:30 PM
I question their ethics period. They leave "courtesy" hangers on my door offering to treat a list of weeds in my yard. I would love to catch one and have him show me these weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hissing Cobra
02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I never worked for Tru-Green but I did work for Scotts Lawn Service and they copied the Tru-Green business model. It totally sucked and led me to the point where I just walked away from them. So in essence, Tru-Green and Scotts are basically one and the same; long hours, working in unethical situations (snow, sleet, heavy downpours, etc...) and average paychecks at best. They will work you to the bone and they'll take up so much of your time, you won't have any time left over to spend with your family or to allow you to take on a 2nd job if you need to.

The only benefit that I can see is that you'll gain valuable knowledge in the area of fertilization. You'll also gain valuable knowledge on what not to do!

Patriot Services
02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Sounds like they make you earn that time needed for your license. They figure you will grow to hate the business and not become a competitor.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn police
02-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Come on - nobody here ever worked for TG and knows what kind of money those guys are paid:confused: What kind of benefits they offer:confused:

I worked there for a few years, but it was a few years ago and the pay might have changed. They would pay 350 per week and then commission for doing over 4700 worth of work each week. No overtime pay so working saturdays while you were making extra commission, it wasn't nearly worth it. They had full benefits but pretty expensive insurance.

nolanjim
02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
They left a letter in the mail saying if you dont want service please let them know. We didnt let them know so they serviced our lawn and then billed us. We had letter in junk mail pile and looled through it only after we saw the bill. Very unethica. It was many years ago and we never even heard if them until that point.
Posted via Mobile Device

will kennedy
02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
they're dickheads....

Landscape Poet
02-14-2011, 12:22 AM
I question their ethics period. They leave "courtesy" hangers on my door offering to treat a list of weeds in my yard. I would love to catch one and have him show me these weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

I get the same little flyers. I do all of my own treatments for my own lawn - so the only weed that has been present when I got one of these notices, was Bermuda, and they have enough problems controlling chinch bugs, so I doubt they can can control Bermuda. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

new england lawnman
02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
I worked there from 2000 to 2007. Started as a limer, finished as a Commercial route manager. Gained lots of experience, some good some bad. As far as money, don't view it from an hourly perspective, you will be sad. Weekly you can average $750 or so depending on your efforts.

Patriot Services
02-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a lot of late dinners, missed family events and a recipe for marital discontent.
Posted via Mobile Device

rhyan6
02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
you would learn how to dilute your product down, and how yes round up kills all. Not a big fan of TG i would would work for a local company if i were you just my opinion. yes experience is good but from what i see you would have to learn all over again if you came to work for me.

JDUtah
02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
you would learn how to dilute your product down, and how yes round up kills all. Not a big fan of TG i would would work for a local company if i were you just my opinion. yes experience is good but from what i see you would have to learn all over again if you came to work for me.

For real. I asked a TG applicator what he was applying (it was his first round). He said.. "heck if I know, they mix it back at the shop". ???

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

rhyan6
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
i know i watch them all the time out spraying when its like 20mph winds i just drive buy and laugh. how do they ever get licensed

Patriot Services
02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Its ok to spray colored water in 20mph winds.
Posted via Mobile Device

rhyan6
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
that is true, lol

ron mexico75
02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
I lasted 2 days for this place. I have never quit anything in my life but this. Absoloutely horrible. 101 degrees in August having to wear long pants, long sleeves and rubber boots all day long because we were spraying liquid chemicals. Spraying fert on yards that were knee high weeds because that's what the route paper said to do.

Using a freaking walk behind broadcast spreader on a yard that was by my estimation to be 40-60,000 square feet. You needed a tractor in my opinion. No lunches because if you took one you'd be out late trying to finish your route.

Like others said, get on with a lawn care company that is locally owned. You'll learn a LOT more about everything landscape related as opposed to spraying or spreading what "da man" put in the truck at the shop.

rhyan6
02-15-2011, 03:20 PM
oh yea and spraying when to hot out, i would advise you not to work for them bottom line. get with a golf coarse or local company

Hissing Cobra
02-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't forget that Tru-Green and Scotts DO NOT PAY OVERTIME but they do load you up with so much work, you cannot get it done in 40 hours. Most guys at my Scotts location worked on average about 50 hours per week and others even more. Keep it in mind that if you want to be compensated fairly for your hard work, it won't happen if you choose these two; the McDonalds and Burger King of lawncare.

turfmanagementspecialty
02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Worked there from 99-05'. LOTS of undermeasured lawns, doing acre jobs for the price of 1/2 acre. Lots of the techs did NOT get along with the salesman because of this. Consistent problem. And yes, 20mph plus winds and raining, your working!! The place was a joke. Great marketing company, poor service company. Dont get me wrong, there are some very good techs there that are quite knowledgeable. The money was actually pretty decent. Couild make a grand a week fairly easy back then which isnt too bad.

JMEllis
02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Hissing Cobra, I presently work for Scotts Lawn Service (not a manager) and you are wrong on many fronts. I'm not sure what location you work/worked at, but I have a feeling you are lying or uninformed. Scotts (and Tru-Green) does pay overtime. It is not true overtime, but you do get paid half your hourly wage. Almost all of the time that you are working overtime you are getting paid more than your typical hourly wage because you are doing extra work that is over your weekly goal. That means I am making around at least 20% more than normal during overtime. Are there things I would change? Yes there is plenty. But I get paid a decent wage with good benefits ($35k; only $1200 for great health/dental/vision/life insurance). I get 3 weeks paid vacation plus a two week paid Christmas vacation and all the major holidays. You can make a lot of money getting sales in the field which absolutely boots your overtime pay. At my branch no one is forced to take layoff. Many of the guys want to and they choose to. We do no treat in downpours, only light rain (still not what I would like to do). We do not treat in snow or ice. I am about to take the state test to become a Certified Turfgrass Professional and I am sure I will pass because I study like crazy. We are not all idiots. I work my butt off for my customers and really do treat each lawn with care. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to new customers where the local guys have screwed up their lawns and I had to fix things up. It goes both ways.

will kennedy
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
theyre dickheads...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hissing Cobra
02-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Hissing Cobra, I presently work for Scotts Lawn Service (not a manager) and you are wrong on many fronts. I'm not sure what location you work/worked at, but I have a feeling you are lying or uninformed. Scotts (and Tru-Green) does pay overtime. It is not true overtime, but you do get paid half your hourly wage. Almost all of the time that you are working overtime you are getting paid more than your typical hourly wage because you are doing extra work that is over your weekly goal. That means I am making around at least 20% more than normal during overtime. Are there things I would change? Yes there is plenty. But I get paid a decent wage with good benefits ($35k; only $1200 for great health/dental/vision/life insurance). I get 3 weeks paid vacation plus a two week paid Christmas vacation and all the major holidays. You can make a lot of money getting sales in the field which absolutely boots your overtime pay. At my branch no one is forced to take layoff. Many of the guys want to and they choose to. We do no treat in downpours, only light rain (still not what I would like to do). We do not treat in snow or ice. I am about to take the state test to become a Certified Turfgrass Professional and I am sure I will pass because I study like crazy. We are not all idiots. I work my butt off for my customers and really do treat each lawn with care. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to new customers where the local guys have screwed up their lawns and I had to fix things up. It goes both ways.

I am not wrong and none of what I posted was a lie. I worked there for three years after they bought the company that I was working for and everything I posted is the truth. It was literally painful. The company was always in "Go, go, go," mode and we did have to treat in downpours, ice, snow, etc... and the yearly turnover rates of employees was over 200% at some locations and at others it was over 300%? Of course, I don't speak for yourself or all of the other hard working guys/gals that work there. I know that there are a lot of good people in their company.

As for their overtime, either they pay it or they don't. The bottom line is that they don't. You said yourself that they pay only half your hourly wage + bonus money. To figure out your true hourly wage, take your entire paycheck and divide by the amount of hours that you've worked. You'll see for yourself. What good is making $35,000 per year if you've got to work 60 hours per week to get there? If you cut back to 40 hours per week, would you still be at $35,000? I highly doubt it! Figure out your salary and bonus money for 40 hours per week and I guarantee you it would be consistent with other jobs in your area as far as hourly wage is concerned.

Their business plan is setup so that the more hours you work, the less you're paid per hour. I know because I lived it on a weekly basis for three years. Their plan does not reward the guys for the quality of work, which takes a little bit longer to do per lawn. Their plan rewards the guys who cut all corners and run, skip, and hop over the lawns, all in the name of bonus money.

At the end of the day, it's all about happiness. If your happy there and you enjoy working there, that's great. Definitely enjoy it, learn as much as you can, and maybe someday you'll be able to be doing it for yourself and reaping the rewards.

rhyan6
02-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Its all about if your happy well put. And im not happy looking at what they do in my area. Im sure there are good techs out there for theses companies i just haven't seen them. These guys usually don't even know whats in the tank. Or how to mix, how much they are applying per sqft. just my 2 cents good luck to you hope your happy there.

Barefoot James
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
I am not wrong and none of what I posted was a lie. I worked there for three years after they bought the company that I was working for and everything I posted is the truth. It was literally painful. The company was always in "Go, go, go," mode and we did have to treat in downpours, ice, snow, etc... and the yearly turnover rates of employees was over 200% at some locations and at others it was over 300%? Of course, I don't speak for yourself or all of the other hard working guys/gals that work there. I know that there are a lot of good people in their company.

As for their overtime, either they pay it or they don't. The bottom line is that they don't. You said yourself that they pay only half your hourly wage + bonus money. To figure out your true hourly wage, take your entire paycheck and divide by the amount of hours that you've worked. You'll see for yourself. What good is making $35,000 per year if you've got to work 60 hours per week to get there? If you cut back to 40 hours per week, would you still be at $35,000? I highly doubt it! Figure out your salary and bonus money for 40 hours per week and I guarantee you it would be consistent with other jobs in your area as far as hourly wage is concerned.

Their business plan is setup so that the more hours you work, the less you're paid per hour. I know because I lived it on a weekly basis for three years. Their plan does not reward the guys for the quality of work, which takes a little bit longer to do per lawn. Their plan rewards the guys who cut all corners and run, skip, and hop over the lawns, all in the name of bonus money.

At the end of the day, it's all about happiness. If your happy there and you enjoy working there, that's great. Definitely enjoy it, learn as much as you can, and maybe someday you'll be able to be doing it for yourself and reaping the rewards.

Love it - hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss:cool2:

JMEllis
02-24-2011, 07:22 PM
You are still wrong. Either they pay overtime or they don't. And Scotts does. I see it on my check every two weeks. I get paid extra for working more than 40 hours per week. It is that simple! And when I added up my hourly wage for anything that I worked over 40 hours last year, it was considerably more than what my standard hourly wage was. It is that way for almost every employee at Scotts.

Your post is ignorant and continues to be so even after being corrected. And that comes from a guy who is very unhappy with my company.

Hissing Cobra
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
You are still wrong. Either they pay overtime or they don't. And Scotts does. I see it on my check every two weeks. I get paid extra for working more than 40 hours per week. It is that simple! And when I added up my hourly wage for anything that I worked over 40 hours last year, it was considerably more than what my standard hourly wage was. It is that way for almost every employee at Scotts.

Your post is ignorant and continues to be so even after being corrected. And that comes from a guy who is very unhappy with my company.

Say what you will but overtime is supposed to be TIME AND A HALF and they DO NOT PAY THAT RATE. They disguise it in the form of bonus pay. I think you should go back and figure that out. Both Tru-Green and Scotts follow this pay philosophy and I'm not the only one on this board that can corroborate that.

Don't take my vandetta against Scotts too personally, it was NOT directed at you or any of the good employees that they have working there. It's directed at their poorly constructed business model. If their business model was good, their turnover rate wouldn't be in the stratosphere.

I hope you pass the test on becoming Certified in Turf Grass management. It shows that you're committed to being a true professional. I myself and Certified in Trees & Shrubs, courtesy of Scotts. I could have become certified in Lawns as well but I chose to move on. I actually have more experience with lawns than I do trees but I'm well rounded in both. I now have a Dealer's License as well. You can never have too many certifications, so keep on learning as much as you can.

JMEllis
02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Overtime is supposed to be exactly what the law says it is and this is what the law says. "Disguising" overtime pay in bonus pay that when all is said and done pays the same as if not more than time and a half is just a terrible pay scale.

I know you aren't attacking me personally. But the facts are the facts.

sprayboy
02-24-2011, 11:43 PM
When I worked there you was paid overtime but it went on a downsliding scale......it was called chinese overtime.

For an easy numbers example...........

If you had a $400/wk salary your hourly rate was $10/hr. So if you worked little or no production you was guarnteed you $400.

If you worked 50 hours this week and did not meet your weekly goal, not earning any bonus, then your hourly rate dropped to $8/hr ($400 salary divided by 50 hours) and you overtime was based on that rate.

The more hours you worked the less the rate was, discouraging you to work extra hours. In other words don't goof off and get your job done.

Commisions were separate from that.

Not starting an argument but that is the way it was when I worked there in the mid 90's

JMEllis
02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
That's how it works. But now they are paying out 10X the amount we used to get per sale. The pay is fair.

By the way, I did not come here to argue with anyone or stick up for Scotts. I just wanted to learn more about landscaping and stumbled across this thread.

Hissing Cobra
02-25-2011, 07:18 AM
But now they are paying out 10X the amount we used to get per sale.

Why didn't you mention this in your first post? It's quite obvious that it's now a totally different pay scenario since I left them back in 2005. Also, what happens if you're in a saturated route where you have 90% of the customers in your area and you can't really make a new sale, I guess that bonus money isn't coming in your paycheck and your overtime pay wouldn't be anywhere near what it should be? Believe it or not, we had saturated routes like this on Cape Cod and new sales were hard to come by. The only thing we could really sell those customers were add-on services. It was definitely not the norm compared to other parts of the country, yet they tried to run our locations like the rest of them.

rhyan6
02-25-2011, 07:37 AM
I love my boss. (me)

sprayboy
02-25-2011, 08:42 AM
They was trying to screw me on the other side.
I had to drive a minumum 45 minutes, sometimes well over an hour, to get to my first lawn and my daily goal was about the same as the guy 5 minutes out the door. I usually stopped by home a couple hours a day and cut grass or screwed off for a while before going back in, racking up hours but really not working. I figured if they wouldn't compensate for my drive time by lowering my goal then I would.
It may sound like I was a dishonest employee but it was not fair for me to have close to 3 hours drive time some days and still have to work the same production time as others 5 minutes away.

phillie
02-25-2011, 07:30 PM
That's how it works. But now they are paying out 10X the amount we used to get per sale. The pay is fair.

By the way, I did not come here to argue with anyone or stick up for Scotts. I just wanted to learn more about landscaping and stumbled across this thread.

All I know is that when I worked at tg they paid 15% of the total sale and then 5% once it was produced and it is still that way per a friend that still works there. I have a friend at Scotts also and he said its 50 bucks per sale. My question to you is "If your selling their lawn care, producing their lawn care and retaining their customers for them... What do you need them for?" Trust me I did work at tg for 9 yrs and it wasnt horrible at first but I was still getting screwed. The good paychecks were in the spring but you are working 60 hrs a week. Then in the fall when it dies down the pay was less than unemployment. The point is even if you dont want to work for yourself you can make more money working for a smaller lco and be able to slow down and take your time.

ReddensLawnCare
02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I dont think I could ever work for them...they take no pride in there work and it seems like that doesnt matter to them. Today winds were blowing steady at 15 ALL day...i saw 3 different trucks going around spraying today..there is no way that product was reaching the target area. IT does not matter the weather..they still treat

JDUtah
02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I dont think I could ever work for them...they take no pride in there work and it seems like that doesnt matter to them. Today winds were blowing steady at 15 ALL day...i saw 3 different trucks going around spraying today..there is no way that product was reaching the target area. IT does not matter the weather..they still treat

By product you mean water right?

ReddensLawnCare
02-25-2011, 09:25 PM
yeah...well i talked to one the other day..they said pre em..but it never seems to work...wonder why?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-01-2011, 11:28 AM
TG are foolish for spraying Pre's this time of year. Spring is always windy - they need to use a good fert+pre. Trying to cut a fat hog they are.....

kirk1701
03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh:
Funny!!!

I used to have them do my yard (before I met you guys here) and now I have the best lawn in the neighborhood. TrueGreen drives down the road in shame now :drinkup:

inzane
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
i know this is an older thread, but it brings back memories.. i just recently heard they started paying there techs by the hour this year, which i found interesting. i worked for them in 2004, guess i worked for them for a total of 8 years, i ended up there through them buying out the smaller company i worked for in 1996. i made less in 04' then i did in 97. it was like you made less and less every year because the goals went up as the prices dropped. it was salary back then, i remember making 37k a year at the highest, and by the time i got out i was making 29k a year working harder than ever before. it was a base salary usually anywheres from 300 to 700 weekly depending on how long you were there and 10% over your goal at one point (so if your goal was 5000, and you did 6000, you got 100 bucks extra plus the chinese overtime was like 5 bucks an hour so if you worked 50 hours to hit that goal you got another 50. (damn the chinese!) then they changed it to a much lower percent like 5%, + cancellation bonus which made it hard to make money because to many customers cancelling due to bad sales, for example... i'd show up to a new start in the middle of the projects.. no grass in sight. 40 oz bottles littering the yard wondering if i was gonna get shot or stabbed if i knocked at the door.. lol. or, the sales guy would lead the customer into thinking the program would do something un-realistic (like keep bugs out of the house or something.. lol). they did what they had to do to get the sale because the sales guys were under high pressure, if they didn't sell a certain amt. per week they were let go no questions.. every yard seemed to be measured at 3,000 sq. ft. even if it was 9k to 13k square foot really. the magic number was 29.00 per app, but they started doing some 24.95 apps at one point, which was meant for smaller lawns, but the sales guys would lie on the forms again, to get the sale, and i would be treating 8k sq. ft. for 24.95.. so on avg. i had to spray 40 to 50 yards just to get my goal plus handle any service calls everyday. i'd avg taking home 400 per week, avg'd about 60 hrs a week because we had to work every saturday. goals where around 1000 per day, but they would make it a 6 day goal which means you had to do the extra 1000 whether you came in on saturday to do it, or did it monday thru friday you could get saturday off.

the good thing was they had a service clean your uniforms everday, the batch fill system was nice because you could fill quickly at the end of a day, they called your call aheads for you. i had blue cross blue shield health care, and it was a good plan... + dental.

inzane
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
i remember one febuary we had snow on the ground for a day (not to much snow in metro ATL). i was told to go out and spray the snow covered lawns regardless... i was not to return to the branch without my number. i did what i had to do. sprayed down yards i couldn't really see, with the blue tracker dye in the mix. it was quite a messy sight to see. i remember having a trainee with me, i put in my 2 weeks notice not long after that. being on a trugreen truck and wearing the uniform was just an embarasment.

JBNC
01-28-2012, 06:24 AM
i know i watch them all the time out spraying when its like 20mph winds i just drive buy and laugh. how do they ever get licensed

You think that tech wants to be out there spraying in 20mph winds, rain, snow, etc? They don't really have a choice, just doing their job.

phillie
01-28-2012, 03:43 PM
You think that tech wants to be out there spraying in 20mph winds, rain, snow, etc? They don't really have a choice, just doing their job.

They have a choice. They wont fire you for doing the wright thing. I came in many times and told them I wouldnt spray on certain days. Yep, I would go out and wait a few hours, constantly check the weather and if I couldn't spray then I came in and told them why. They didn't like it but they wouldn't fire me. They have a choice, they are just worried about their paycheck, or to scared to stand up for the right thing to do. TG's turnover rate across the country is horrible, they don't just fire people.

JBNC
01-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I work for a similar company. They usually call us in if it starts to rain, but we have definitely worked in some not so ideal conditions. You're right they can't fire you for doing the right thing, but you A) won't get a good bonus because you didn't meet your quota or B) will be working on Saturday. Either way you will be getting yelled at for not being in schedule and falling behind in your routes.

phillie
01-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I agree with you but they still have the choice. I guess I just stand up for my decisions more than most. I never was afraid to be yelled at by my bosses especially for something that would make them sound ignorant. I've always found it funny that they yell at people for the stupid stuff rather than the important things like quality, or customer service.

JBNC
01-29-2012, 12:55 AM
I agree it's not right, everyone's so worried about getting everything done and meeting goals that customer service and quality goes out the window. The techs who actually seem to care will end up working more hours, and getting paid less. If I'm getting paid the same whether I work 5 or 6 days a week, I'm sure as hell not working on Saturday if I have a choice. I'd rather spend the weekend with my family, not riding around spraying(probably still in 20mph winds) Obviously if it was my company I would do things a little differently, but for barely over minimum wage, why bother.

phillie
01-29-2012, 02:08 AM
I agree it's not right, everyone's so worried about getting everything done and meeting goals that customer service and quality goes out the window. The techs who actually seem to care will end up working more hours, and getting paid less. If I'm getting paid the same whether I work 5 or 6 days a week, I'm sure as hell not working on Saturday if I have a choice. I'd rather spend the weekend with my family, not riding around spraying(probably still in 20mph winds) Obviously if it was my company I would do things a little differently, but for barely over minimum wage, why bother.

I lost ya at the barely over minimum wage part. I run my own business, just finished my second your and I make plenty more than minimum wage. When I worked at TG I was the top producer 1700 and done by 2, I know how it is. Eventually I realized that that place sucks on so many levels I couldnt work for them any more. I now make more money and do 1/10th the lawns I had to.

JBNC
01-29-2012, 08:19 AM
I was talking about the tech's salary when working a 55 hour week, doesn't amount to much on base salary. Again, I do not work for TG so it may be a little different. Unfortunately I'm not quite to the point where I can jump ship and do my own thing. I'm aiming for about a year from now, can't wait!

phillie
01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh, haha. Ya, especially with the chinese overtime. It is totally a balance of how much you can get done the fastest with doing the best you can. I clloected equipment for a few years before I started, so I could start without a loan. It's def. better running your own thing but a lot of work and a lot of ups and downs in the beginning. Good Luck to you sir.

hunter140
02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
i worked for the grandfather of trugreen. chemlawn it was a great place to work and learn but the corprate line was always halftruths and the hours were very long, goals were unrealistic sales and production. the motto was treat your help good treat the customer good and the money will follow which was true until the evil started. turn over of manangement and help ruined the company which was eventaully sold to trugreen from what i here they do not care about there customers and i doubt they really care about there help either. just my opinion

Grassworks Inc.
02-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I worked for ChemLawn back in the mid 80's, back when the Dick Duke and Jack Van Fossen ran it. Great company back then. TruGreen was a competitor back than, we laughed at them. The only questionable thing I remember was having to go out and spray the day before Hurricane Gloria hit. The forecast called for 6"-8" of rain. When we aked why, we were told they did a study and only 1 out of 4 would demand a re-treat. They could live with that. I quit a few months after Ecolab bought them as I saw the writing on the wall.
TG/CL, now just TG, is a joke around here. It's common to see them spraying in pouring rain and high winds. Personal appearance doesn't matter, back in the CL days there were no beards and hair couldn't touch your collar. Now it's not unusual to see TG applicators in dreadlocks wearing wife-beaters.
I could go on and on, but it'd be beating a dead horse.

CircleC
02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I worked for TG/CL for about 5 yrs. Like most have said it has its good and bad. Pay was garbage, hours where long, and customer care was last on the list. They "said" the customer was important but the numbers in reality were most important. I've sprayed in snow, pouring rain, howling wind, and freezing cold weather. I ran a resi lawn route, resi tree route, commercial tree route and a commercial lawn route.

The Good: I did get good on property expierence. I learned every excuse in the book why lawn looked like crap. I learned a lot about re-building pumps. Trouble shooting equipment was probably the biggest thing I learned. When you have to do 30-40 stops a day you get good at jimmy rigging things. I did meet a lot of great people who have helped me grow my biz. And I did get a lot of great referrals from TG (mowing not fert).

The Bad: Pay was garbage. Most guys with smarts who had expierence didn't stick around very long and once guys knew wnough they moved on. Long hours, I can remember doing 40 stops in a day, then doing a commercial night tree spray til 4 am. Chinese math for OT. Not paying you for lunch, but you never took one. Did I meantion pay was garbage!

If you have zero expierence in the biz and you wanna learn go for it. You'll learn how to route effciently, learn to jimmy rig, and you can learn how to treat a lawn without having the personal liability! Two seasons wouldn't hurt! It will only make you better....and don't let anyone fool you, every biz owner is going to push! Anyone on here with a successful spray biz pushes hard!

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
In FL they are almost a necessary evil. You need 1 or 3 years pulling hose depending on if you have a degree or not just to sit for the test. If I were 18 I would do it just to get that much coveted license down here. Use them the way they will use you.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
02-09-2012, 03:24 AM
They have a choice. They wont fire you for doing the wright thing. I came in many times and told them I wouldnt spray on certain days. Yep, I would go out and wait a few hours, constantly check the weather and if I couldn't spray then I came in and told them why. They didn't like it but they wouldn't fire me. They have a choice, they are just worried about their paycheck, or to scared to stand up for the right thing to do. TG's turnover rate across the country is horrible, they don't just fire people.

How did they keep things copacetic with the State regulatory agency? If any person holding a DOA license in Hawaii sprayed in wind or rain or had employees do so, that person would need to find another line of work. Weather conditions at the time and date of each application are part of the audited record. The DOA also has no problems getting out of their car to stop an application being made under improper weather conditions and conducting a full on the spot audit. Needless to say, TG/CL does not operate in my state.

Patriot Services
02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Might be different in HI. Problem here is too much area, too many hacks, not enough money for enforcement.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
02-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Plenty of hacks here too. With the required license and insurance. But drift or runoff causing off target movement of product that someone calls in to the DOA and the party is over. Fudge an application record when the agent knows damned well that it was blowing 25-40 MPH that month and your azz is grass. I think the Hawaii DOA has an extremely small budget. The applicator's license is easy to obtain and even easier to lose. But the fines and criminal penalties usually put violators out of business first.

A few years ago, a Terminex salesman who saw me working struck up a conversation with me. He said TG/CL wanted to open up shop here. That was back in 2007. I still do not see them in the phone book.

petergrasso
06-16-2012, 09:47 PM
TruGreen is not the place to go for honest lawn care experience.I worked there as a lawn tech, was rated in the top 100 in the region, and didnt acheive that by following standard protocols. They are corrupt, evasive when you ask any questions, and generally stink

Hissing Cobra
06-16-2012, 11:41 PM
It's now been a year and four months since JMEllis posted about how great Scotts Lawn Service was. I wonder if he's still happy there?

inzane
06-17-2012, 11:22 AM
at this point most of those trugreen techs are as unhappy as ever, a place that was that bad to work for in the 90's... got even worse. lol. hourly pay, more pay cuts. i swear, from 94 to 2004 i did more lawns, worked more hours and made less money every year till enough was enough. i am still in touch with many of my old co-workers, and they are miserable.. but they did it to themselves. of all the companies to go spray lawns for here, i don't see how anyone would want to be a tech for one of these companies for the rest of their life... i worked for a few and really all they want to do is get one over on the employees to increase there profit. i'll do it on my own, or i won't do it at all.

Patriot Services
06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
In another thread a poster says his friend has been a TG tech for 28 YEARS and couldn't be happier. I call BS as I never see the same tech twice.
Posted via Mobile Device

inzane
06-17-2012, 12:26 PM
i know quite a few who have been there that long or longer.. happy.. not the word for it. more like.. stuck... its more like.. i went this far.. might as well keep going till i die. sad really.

In another thread a poster says his friend has been a TG tech for 28 YEARS and couldn't be happier. I call BS as I never see the same tech twice.
Posted via Mobile Device

GALAWN
06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I'd suggest working for a lc business with about 1000 to 3000 customers. You will learn much more. That's how I got started myself and worked every aspect of the business. I was hired to aerate 7 lawns a day. I then did treatments and then managed and did the books learning the software and routing. Then I started my own business and sold it. Then I started another business. The best way to go is to work for a business that isn't huge where if you show your worth, you can learn different aspects.

GreenI.A.
06-19-2012, 11:15 PM
I worked for both Scotts and TG, Worked for Scotts at the same time as Hissing Cobra, at a neighboring branch and can definitely attest to everything he said about the company. After leaving there we both worked for the same distributor but at neighboring branches. The only good things about both companies are that they will train you, scotts trained better. You'll definitely learn what not to do. The biggest thing about working there, just about everyone I knew copied customer lists so that if they every started their own company they would have a good marketing list to start with with current lc customers, property sizes, billing rates, etc

Patriot Services
06-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I worked for both Scotts and TG, Worked for Scotts at the same time as Hissing Cobra, at a neighboring branch and can definitely attest to everything he said about the company. After leaving there we both worked for the same distributor but at neighboring branches. The only good things about both companies are that they will train you, scotts trained better. You'll definitely learn what not to do. The biggest thing about working there, just about everyone I knew copied customer lists so that if they every started their own company they would have a good marketing list to start with with current lc customers, property sizes, billing rates, etc
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
06-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Normally this would trip my ethics bone. But I think your doing the customers and the plants a favor.
Posted via Mobile Device

JMEllis
08-27-2012, 11:11 PM
It's now been a year and four months since JMEllis posted about how great Scotts Lawn Service was. I wonder if he's still happy there?

Sorry, too busy working 70 hours a week and Saturdays to keep up with this thread. It's a GREAT (I mean horrible) company. I am as happy as Conan O'Brien after checking the couch cushions for loose change when he had the Romney boys on his show.

Of course most of us still do bad work. I do good work. But I am not going to bash them for something they don't do, i.e. pay overtime.

Most everyone is trying to leave. Nothing has changed. Nor will it most likely ever.

turfmd101
08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Left working TG/CL around 20 years ago. "WOW". Amazing how it's been going on sooo long. You would think by know, even HO's all across the country should GET IT by now. Im sure some techs let it flow, often to them. In my world. Word spreads fast. It'll make or break ya. Why don't they suffer from this too? On the other hand. They could be the necessary evil! I guess they have to exist the way they do. If all these story's were the opposite and they had kickass lawns everywhere you looked, in every state. Most wouldn't be able to compete with them. They exist the way they do, so we all have the opportunity "not to be them". Thank them for your future customers. For if they didn't do it the way they do it. You couldn't do it the way you do it. Their be no need for "your service". They have to exist the way they do, its the laws of nature. So our side has reason to exist.
Posted via Mobile Device

JMEllis
10-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Not sure if anyone is following these developments, but TruGreen and Scotts Lawn Service are getting sued by the lawn firm of Kennedy Hodges LLP for violations of the Fluctuating Workweek, specifically in not paying time and a half for overtime. The TruGreen lawsuit was filed in March of 2012. Kennedy Hodges have begun soliciting current and former employees into a collective civil lawsuit just this week (you have to opt into the lawsuit to be awarded an money). Soon before or after March 2012, TruGreen - as far as I know - changed their payroll practices and made most everyone work only 40 hours. I'm not sure if that was as a result of or anticipating the lawsuit, but if it wasn't it was a strange coincidence. It seems to be to be an admission of error. Have any of these types of lawsuits actually gone to trial? How were they decided? This is pretty big money. Just doing some of my own math, the TG lawsuit could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars and the Scotts one up to one hundred million dollars.

Hissing Cobra
10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Not sure if anyone is following these developments, but TruGreen and Scotts Lawn Service are getting sued by the lawn firm of Kennedy Hodges LLP for violations of the Fluctuating Workweek, specifically in not paying time and a half for overtime. The TruGreen lawsuit was filed in March of 2012. Kennedy Hodges have begun soliciting current and former employees into a collective civil lawsuit just this week (you have to opt into the lawsuit to be awarded an money). Soon before or after March 2012, TruGreen - as far as I know - changed their payroll practices and made most everyone work only 40 hours. I'm not sure if that was as a result of or anticipating the lawsuit, but if it wasn't it was a strange coincidence. It seems to be to be an admission of error. Have any of these types of lawsuits actually gone to trial? How were they decided? This is pretty big money. Just doing some of my own math, the TG lawsuit could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars and the Scotts one up to one hundred million dollars.

JM,

Are you going to opt into the lawsuit? I know I did and I hope that everyone who was on the receiving end of their pay scale will do so as well. Maybe not much will come of it but if there's something that will, I want to make sure they pay me for the pain they caused - even if it doesn't amount to much.

I was like you, a seriously hard worker who always did a correct, thorough job and I found out the hard way that I was putting myself at a serious disadvantage when compared to many of my co-workers. I worked more hours than them and got paid less. My lawns looked better than theirs, my customers were happy and I used to get the most tips from them at Christmas time. I also scored the most "happy" feedback notes to the office when they paid their bills. In short, I was one of the reps that Management could be counted on to solve any problem, do any type of work, and get the jobs done correctly. Yes, it took me a little bit longer but I didn't leave a trail of crap behind me. For that, I got paid less. It floored them when I "fired" them and never looked back.

inzane
10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
that about sums up my experience at TG as well. I will run into a tech or manager now and again and they always try to tell me i should come back, "its better now.." And i got to fight the urge to kick them in the crotchal region.. Everybody i know now who has stuck around and still on a truck after 20+ years, they are all down on their luck... I left in 04, so i'm sure i wouldn't be able to opt in to any lawsuit, but i worked plenty of OT without time and a half back in the day! Looking back now, good times! I liked the experience, dealing with the customers... its all in the past now, thank god.

JM,

I was like you, a seriously hard worker who always did a correct, thorough job and I found out the hard way that I was putting myself at a serious disadvantage when compared to many of my co-workers. I worked more hours than them and got paid less. My lawns looked better than theirs, my customers were happy and I used to get the most tips from them at Christmas time. I also scored the most "happy" feedback notes to the office when they paid their bills. In short, I was one of the reps that Management could be counted on to solve any problem, do any type of work, and get the jobs done correctly. Yes, it took me a little bit longer but I didn't leave a trail of crap behind me. For that, I got paid less. It floored them when I "fired" them and never looked back.

Will P.C.
10-10-2013, 05:13 PM
that about sums up my experience at TG as well. I will run into a tech or manager now and again and they always try to tell me i should come back, "its better now.." And i got to fight the urge to kick them in the crotchal region.. Everybody i know now who has stuck around and still on a truck after 20+ years, they are all down on their luck... I left in 04, so i'm sure i wouldn't be able to opt in to any lawsuit, but i worked plenty of OT without time and a half back in the day! Looking back now, good times! I liked the experience, dealing with the customers... its all in the past now, thank god.

I just read your post from last year and it was very informative. Could you elaborate on this Chinese overtime I have seen discussed? Are the bosses Chinese?

Patriot Services
10-10-2013, 05:24 PM
I just read your post from last year and it was very informative. Could you elaborate on this Chinese overtime I have seen discussed? Are the bosses Chinese?

Just in case your not kidding. Chinese OT is where the more hours you work the more they lower your base
pay. Legal as long the base doesn't drop below minimum wage.
Posted via Mobile Device

inzane
10-10-2013, 07:46 PM
they had some kinda formula, and yeah they called it chineese overtime. However, I never saw anyone chineese, mabee they were higher up on the corporate ladder. lol.. It was 10 years ago, hard to remember. I used to know the formula they use, we signed off the sheet every week.. to long ago to remember.

Will P.C.
10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I wasn't kidding, I simply had not ever heard it referred to as chinese overtime. However, I have read about certain companies that lure bottom level employees into thinking if they work chinese overtime they will get a better position/permanent position/etc, but know it as fluctuating work pay. I guess people are scared to say Chinese overtime for fear of being racist

JMEllis
10-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Believe it or not, even the lawyers use the phrase "Chinese overtime." Not the best terminology, but I guess it has stuck.

I can't say for sure if this is the angle the lawyers are going to attack, but Chinese overtime is base pay divided by total weekly hours worked x 1.5. The problem is that Scotts and TG are factoring overtime at base pay divided by total hours worked x 0.5. They don't even pay out Chinese overtime. It is a step below that, typically 30% or so less. I'm not exactly sure why Scotts does this but the reasons must be that they think technicians work under one of the exception clauses of the Fair Labor Standards Act or are considered salaried employees.

I know of a few senior TG employees who left in early 2012 after TG sold them they would be working 40 hours, 4 days a week maximum. They began to make a lot less money than in years before the lawsuit. If the change in TG's work week was due to anticipating the lawsuit, suing TG can backfire. They pretty much said, "Fine you want to get time and a half? Well we'll technically allow it (at least I think they do), but we'll never actually let you get there." Some of these employees came over to Scotts, took $20,000 pay cuts, and went without benefits and vacation for a year.

As far as me personally opting in, let's just say this: from the people I have talked to the only people who are not opting in are those who have worked a very short time for the company since the collective action only goes back three years. Everyone else said they would opt in and have been eagerly awaiting a lawsuit like this for some time. The stakes are high. For senior service technicians who work a lot of hours, the pay out could be around $60-70,000 if the lawyers get what they are asking for. You get more if you can prove these companies willfully broke the law.

With that said, everyone I talked to seriously doubts anything will come of it. Scotts could settle, but no one thinks that will happen either. I believe Scotts has been sued before over overtime pay and no one has ever won. Looking at the website of the Kennedy Hodges, they have never won a case even close to this magnitude.

I hear a lot of people saying, "C'mon Scotts and TG aren't stupid. They wouldn't pay the way they do if they know they were breaking the law." Maybe so, but I have experienced Scotts purposely break countless laws that go under the radar. On a daily basis the EPA could hit Scotts with a litany of fines. Scotts knows this, but refuses to act. The way they run their business is unethical in a number of ways from the market manager on up. The upper management knows this is all about numbers and as long as they don't see exactly how the sausage is made, I'm not sure they care.

If Scotts is paying its employees according to the law, I have no serious beef with them. But the technicians have always suspected that this is not right.

Hissing Cobra
10-11-2013, 10:13 AM
JM, are you still with the company?

smallstripesnc
10-11-2013, 07:06 PM
I have witnessed Scotts spraying a lawn in my neighborhood around dusk (IMO too dark to see) and to me that's just not right.

JMEllis
04-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I've heard that TG settled the overtime lawsuit, but I can't find any news of it. Did they actually do that?

Banksy
04-23-2014, 04:43 PM
A TG salesman came to my house yesterday. He was pushy! He told me how my lawn was not so great (there are a fair amount of weeds but each year my fescue gets thicker and nicer) and that I surely had grubs! Plus, he said this was the last week for Pre-M's and I needed them now! Hmmm...I put Crabgrass Pre-M's out in early March and I thought that was late.

He promised the world, $30 per treat and I could cancel anytime. I told him over and over that I prefer to do my own lawn care. The guy just wouldn't quit!

I looked up their reviews and there are endless complaints of no shows, destroyed lawns, unauthorized treaments, and horrible collections/billing practices. I already knew that for the most part but I try to be polite and just kept telling him no thanks.

inzane
04-24-2014, 07:47 AM
when i worked for trugreen i had to do that alot.. i'd knock on the door and ask the customer to turn the flood lights on because its time for next treatment.. lol. The policy at our branch was hit your goal or you don't go home. sometimes they just had outlandish numbers that needed to be hit.. if your goal was 800 per day, you may have been required to do $1400 a day that week so we could hit the monthly branch goal. sometimes it was pretty easy, sometimes it didn't seem possible because of to much run around. I used to love when they wanted me to do 1,000 in a day, but would only give me 1,000 in invoices, and 5 people didn't even authorize us to be there, then i get back in, and i was "in trouble" because i only did 800.. idiots.

I have witnessed Scotts spraying a lawn in my neighborhood around dusk (IMO too dark to see) and to me that's just not right.

RigglePLC
04-24-2014, 10:16 PM
It is called the "Half time for overtime system". The government publishes a table. When I worked for TG --I learned about this pay system it was originally used for agricultural workers. If I remember, it required that workers always be paid for 40 hours--even if it rained all week.

However, work at over 40 hours was paid less per hour the more you worked. When I switched companies and became a manager I explained it to my new boss--he began to use it for all our non-salary employees. They were not happy.
It is, I think, calculated like this:
40 times Rate, plus 40 over total hours, times Rate times Ot hours.

Example:
If the rate is $8 per hour. And the hours equal 60.
Pay is 8 x40 =320
Plus 40/60 times 8, times 20. Equals 106.66
Added together: $426.66.