PDA

View Full Version : What to do???

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
OK our little sub forum here has seemed to die off the last couple days so I thought I would get things started back up by getting your guys opinion on a problem I have.

I currently have a trailer that I use for my business. It has served me well and has lots of life in it. The problem is that the trailer is 5 x 14 and I have outgrown it with the addition of another mower last year. The once abundant floor space i once had is now gone.

So that is my problem and I would like to get resolved before the heat kicks in full force and every little thing that does not function 100% with ease pisses me off throughout the day.

I currently have enough for both mowers, have a rack for three of my sticks, but lack a space for my pole saw, gas cans, backpack sprayer, trimmer line etc etc to fit in a orderly fashion.

Here are my options that I see.

Keep the existing trailer, going HERE (http://www.trailerracks.com/) buying the stick rack, at least 2 two gallon gas holders, a trimmer line holder/cutter, a backpack blower holder, a backpack sprayer holder and then just relocating my existing rack to the other side of the trailer so I can use it for my pole saw, which will also leave room for two back up sticks if needed. This solves my problem for the forseeable future. These of course could be moved to a bigger trailer if I go that route in the future anyways. And I want to add that I really enjoy this trailer because it is lite which saves on fuel, is single axle so it saves me on tolls, is narrow so it is easy to maneuver around especially in tight neighborhoods.

Or I can buy a new trailer, which of course had its own expense and kind of design it myself or get one which would allow me to get the extra space and still go with the accessories mentioned above. The trailer would of course be a little over kill for most of my issue then because on sod jobs I have someone who does the removal for me. Most installation jobs I have would not require me to take up more room than is available in the current trailer. And of course although the business appear to be there, I have no desire to go bigger in the near future as I really enjoy being solo.

So what are your guys thoughts and what would you guys do.

zturncutter
02-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Stay with the smallest trailer you can for as long as you can, just organize it to the max. Single axle trailers do not eat up tires as fast as duals do and are a plus for all the reasons you mentioned.

CHARLES CUE
02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Go with a wider trailer 5 ft not very wide.

Charles Cue

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Stay with the smallest trailer you can for as long as you can, just organize it to the max. Single axle trailers do not eat up tires as fast as duals do and are a plus for all the reasons you mentioned.

Spoken like someone who is as money conscious as I am and understands not only that their is a cost associated with every choice, but also that tolls get a lot more expensive with that extra axle. This is the way I am leaning but really wanted to hear from others and why before I make any choice.

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Go with a wider trailer 5 ft not very wide.

Charles Cue

I totally agree with you now. Also wider would mean I could have a side gate put on for my smaller z. This would be a bonus because I currently have to unload the larger Z to get to the little one when it is needed.

unkownfl
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Have you check out this stuff? http://www.junglejimsap.com/trailermate.html they also have some trimmer racks that I like too.

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Have you check out this stuff? http://www.junglejimsap.com/trailermate.html they also have some trimmer racks that I like too.

Yes, but have you ever seen the extreme rack for you sticks. They are 100% secure in there....nobody is getting them. The other thing they currently have that I do not like about them is their backpack blower rack....it is not universal...you have to buy additional pieces to make it fit some models. Just because I like my current blower does not mean that come replacement time I will still like that kind, so buying another fixture.

The extreme racks for the sticks are simply the best I have ever seen. The only issue I have with them is the cost, and I went to order the other day and found out they are local from here in FL so I would experience sales tax, which considering the cost of everything, was enough to stop me from pulling the trigger at the time.

unkownfl
02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
What are you using for a tow vehicle these days?

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 11:16 PM
What are you using for a tow vehicle these days?

Still using my jeep. Only has 56k miles...so as tight as I am I do not see that changing anytime soon...plus it has heated seats which has came in handy recently! :laugh:

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Unknown - have you seen the extreme racks up close and personal? Rob7233 from here on lawnsite has them. I was skeptical at first, but when you see them and how secure your stuff is, they are worth every penny. I could pull into a place on OBT and eat lunch and not sweat my stuff not being there when I came back outside. Yes, they are that nice.

unkownfl
02-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Not secure for my saws all.... I could cut the whole rack and walk down the road in a minute if I wanted to. They do look to be the best on the market however. How are you pulling that trailer with a jeep? I don't think its a j10 with heated seats lol... Is it a single axle? It's kinda like the car club the club is super strong but the steering wheel can be cut in 10 seconds with a small pvc cutter lol.

Ric
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Mikey

Just put a sign on your rig "Standford and Son" and you will do fine.

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Not secure for my saws all.... I could cut the whole rack and walk down the road in a minute if I wanted to. They do look to be the best on the market however. How are you pulling that trailer with a jeep? I don't think its a j10 with heated seats lol... Is it a single axle? It's kinda like the car club the club is super strong but the steering wheel can be cut in 10 seconds with a small pvc cutter lol.

Yep, not stopping the crackhead that has somehow found a saws all ...but for the average joe that is looking to grab and go....he has another think coming. The Jeep still pulls the trailer just fine - it has a 5.7L V8 so it has not been a issue yet. A truck would be nicer ..but like I said....I am tight so I do not see me purchasing a truck just for work just to have a bed on it. Jeep comes in handy on certain jobs because you can fit like 12 amigos in the back..LOL

Landscape Poet
02-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Mikey

Just put a sign on your rig "Standford and Son" and you will do fine.

Encouraging words of advice from you like usual Ric. Is the Geritol not agreeing with you this evening?

Ric
02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Encouraging words of advice from you like usual Ric. Is the Geritol not agreeing with you this evening?

Mikey

Any thing to help.

Patriot Services
02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I have a JJ 3 place trimmer rack with tool bar in between. I got a good deal on it but I don't think I would buy another. It seems to put a lot of stress on the tubes if you adjust it tight enough to prevent spinning. Their big box is nice but I don't see Mikey dropping that much coin. The extreme is a better design IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
02-12-2011, 03:07 PM
First thing is get your racks local from a dealer, I pay $70 for a 4 place rack. Way cheaper than the overpriced contraptions that do the same thing. They may have more locks on them but if someone really wants your trimmer no rack/lock will hold them back. Secondly keep your trailer its small and light like you stated and that saves money just reconfigure it (Get Organized) and utilize the space. It will take some planning and you just gotta see what works. Maybe add a box/basket to the front for blowers and misc. stuff. Oh and tandem axle trailers have their pros and cons. yes you can haul heavier loads have tandem brakes but they also wear out tires fast in the city weigh more and a lot of time are overkill for lawn mowers. I would definitely reconfigure your trailer. Throw a pic up and I'll give you ideas and suggestions.

rob7233
02-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Well Michael, we went over the possibilities for your your trailer. The trimmer rack plus any taxes will be a biz write off. A 24 volt Sawzall will not be able to cut through the double wall thickness (in a minute) of the Extreme trimmer rack. Can it be cut off? Why yes, if someone had enough time and was not being seen and get spooked off first.

Would I leave my trailer parked and locked overnight in the ghetto and expect all my stuff to be there in the morning? Not likely.

However, should I do all that I can to deter equipment damage and theft?
You bet! Even if one were to cut off and steal the Extreme, they're gonna give up and be real discouraged when they realize they aren't getting the rack off the sticks without the key! I told you about swapping out the locks and if you want an even further layer of protection, we can go down to Certified Sling and get a cable installed through it. One that can't be cut with a typical cutter. As you saw with mine, you can't get to the lock with a bolt cutter or bend the supports away with a section of pipe like on some others.

As far as the blower rack, I have yet to see one that can't be cut off easily or the lock not being accessible to a bolt cutter. However, I still think one can be built for a reasonable price to fit your EB630 and the Stihl BR600. I need one done up too and I think I can improve on the designs I've seen done already. Stay with the trailer you have. Fix what you need to make it work more efficiently for you. Then, when you need to go bigger, that's the time to do it.

Just like you would tell your own clients: Do your due diligence, do it right and only once the first time. Yes, I'm paraphrasing but you get my point.

rob7233
02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Here's another option in trimmer rack security....

http://www.trimmertrap.com/site/trimmer-and-blower-racks/trimmer-chest.html

rob7233
02-13-2011, 07:58 AM
After looking at that TrimmerChest, I got to thinking, how burning hot would that diamond plate get in the middle of our FL summers?

zturncutter
02-13-2011, 08:24 AM
After looking at that TrimmerChest, I got to thinking, how burning hot would that diamond plate get in the middle of our FL summers?

My tool chests made of the same material really don't get that hot.

Patriot Services
02-13-2011, 08:46 AM
My diamond plates don't get that hot. Funny, a couple years ago I suggested this type of box. Guys were complaining about spinning and putting too much stress on the heads from bouncing with traditional racks. About that same time thieves were were lopping off the powerheads with hacksaws. You got to admit polished diamond plate looks good.:usflag:

TYCINC
02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
one thing I see that always looks so unprofessional is people putting racks on the outside of thier trailers- ladders. . like on the front of the trailer you could do your sprayer and still look good. . I put rakes and shovels on the side of the dump bed. . everything else fits in the trailer. . yest i saw a truck with plywood sides and a nice pair of stihl trimmers racked on the side. . . look tacjy

TYCINC
02-13-2011, 10:07 AM
also the front inside of your trailer- right inside the side door in the front I have two shelves- perfect for the spare tire, sprayer, chems etc. . . and the blowers I hang with hooks on loop brackets from the inside skeletal/structure/frame. . im in sarasota idk why it says tampa nbd tho

zturncutter
02-13-2011, 11:20 AM
im in sarasota idk why it says tampa nbd tho

South Florida Lawns
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
one thing I see that always looks so unprofessional is people putting racks on the outside of thier trailers- ladders. . like on the front of the trailer you could do your sprayer and still look good. . I put rakes and shovels on the side of the dump bed. . everything else fits in the trailer. . yest i saw a truck with plywood sides and a nice pair of stihl trimmers racked on the side. . . look tacjy

Yeah whats up with trimmer racks on the outside of enclosed trailers? Guess it could save you time.

I even saw a bench grinder mounted to a trailer fender.

rob7233
02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
[I]Patriot Services - "About that same time thieves were were lopping off the powerheads with hacksaws. You got to admit polished diamond plate looks good"

Can we ever stay ahead of the thieves ? A hacksaw? Thus the benefit of enclosed trailers.

My diamond plate truck box can get pretty hot like my ZTR seat. Not so bad that you can't deal with it. The other thing with the TrimmerChest is that it supports the weight of the head also. Thieves shouldn't be able to take the head via hacksaw but the diamond plate does flex. So can the box handle lock in the door be pried and popped?

Anyone with experience?

TYCINC
02-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Bench grinder??? lol thats great. . a ladder rack on top of the trailer could be pulled off. . leaving valuable equip on the outside is too risky. . at least insurance covers you if the trailer is locked and the mother f-ers cut it

Landscape Poet
03-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Here are some photos of what I have done so far. I have added the extreme three position rack, the line spooler, the backpack holder, the sprack.

In the very near future there will be a couple of gas can racks (2 for mix and 1 5 gallon) , a trailer tongue tool box and most likely the greentouch rack for hand tools. Eventually I will be adding some kind of device to hold a ladder on the outside of the trailer too.

abrightday
03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Great job Mike, that outta keep them thieves away!!
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Landscape Poet
03-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Great job Mike, that outta keep them thieves away!!
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Thanks Walter,

I am not sure it will keep all thieves away though, I do know that it will make my life a lot less stressful for me as that is a small trailer for my needs.

Let me know how the lead works out, I am sure I will know before you will as she is a talker like I told you, but I think we will have a lot of business together in the near future.:clapping: Enjoyed meeting you today.

abrightday
03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey , me to you mike!:clapping: I don't care what Ric says, your alright!
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Landscape Poet
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey , me to you mike!:clapping: I don't care what Ric says, your alright!
www.YourLandscapePro.com

That makes two of us then, :laugh: