PDA

View Full Version : Bed Shaper

KirtonSullivan
02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Ok, I know this topic has been discussed several times, but the specific information I was looking for has not been talked about. We currently have a little wonder bed shaper and like the way it works, it's just that it leaves a lot of cleanup behind. We do about 10,000 linear ft of edging each spring, so we are trying to make the process a little more efficient.

Has anyone that has a little wonder tried the shredder kit for it to help minimize cleanup? Shredder Kit (http://littlewonder.com/lw-bedshaper_accessories.asp)

We do rent a blue bird on a couple of the larger jobs so we can have two crews edging simultaneously, but the bluebird does not do well at all on hills, and here in South Central PA there aren't many level jobs. The bluebird is also very tough on trees when trying to do tree rings, it damages too many of the roots.

Does anyone have any experience with the turfteq dedicated bed edger?
Turf Teq edger (http://www.turfteq.com/products_dedicated.html)
If anyone has one of these, what price range are they in? I'm guessing they are probably in the $4k ballpark?

Sorry for the book, thanks in advance for your help.

pieperlc
02-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm interested to hear what others say as well. We run a ez trench bedscaper and it trenches/edges well but cleanup is very time consuming. I actually thought the little wonder bedshaper was supposed to make cleanup easier. The ez trench does a great job at grinding up the soil, but we still need to remove it because it builds up too much after a few years.

KirtonSullivan
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
With the bed shaper it leaves a sod trail behind it. With the type that grind the dirt up, we typically come through with our backpack blowers and blow the the dirt back into the bed. We can't leave the grindings in the trench because we have a mulch blower, and any dirt debris that is left in the trench ends up back on top of the mulch.

pieperlc
02-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Interesting use of the backpack blower. I imagine that can be a messy job. We would shovel the bulk of the loose dirt out and remove it. It's not that the trench is full as much as the mound of dirt next to the trench. I thought removing strips of sod would be simpler, faster.

KirtonSullivan
02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
When we had two crews running one of our bigger edging jobs last year, one using the bed shaper and one using a blue bird, the crew with the blue bird was far ahead of the crew with the bed shaper. That being said however, there were a lot of off camber areas that had to be done by hand that the blue bird couldn't do. I'm going to try to get a turf teq demo unit here as soon as the weather breaks to see how it works.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-25-2011, 08:06 PM
I have one tell you its faster then anything out there turn tighter
Last job was laying edger stone in and it was 60 ft long painted the line and in 2 mins it was done They do cost little but its worth it this the third yr now
Done tons of tree ring for mulch in first year it pretty much paid for its self know i go back only edge the beds With this I got lot jobs from word mouth