PDA

View Full Version : leaf cleanup. how to. video link.

borwicks
02-12-2011, 11:32 AM
if you cant grind them up and leave them I have found this is one of the fastest ways to clean up dry or wet leaves. leave that back pack blower on the trailer. we normally lay out a tarp in a central area close to load area and start blowing. other times we will grind the crap out of them take the "big" blower and run across the yard to blow them into the blades. The video and pics are different yards. The yard in video use to take about 9 man hours to clean beds and yards now down to under a hour. The yard in pics has taken 2 guys 2 days before and we hauled off 30 yards of waste. now takes one guy 4 hours and we haul nothing off. Both customers are 100 percent happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7HhcWedZlM

borwicks
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
some more finish pics....yes there is still some leaves because there still falling. wind that day was 20mph.

knox gsl
02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
So what did you do that is revolutionary? All I saw was a little wonder blower moving leaves off the street. I'm interested in learning more, I hate to haul stuff off.

borwicks
02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
My point is. Work smarter with the enviroment in mind. There is nothing new. But every year I see LCOs approaching leaf clean up with the wrong equipment or wrong approach. Every year homeowners want there leaves cleaned up. They want them bagged and hauled off. I do there yard without bagging and see if they say anything. Never have I got a call. T
Posted via Mobile Device

borwicks
02-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Also read the entire first post. This is just a little info on "my" approach to faster and smarter cleanup
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
02-12-2011, 01:12 PM
I have to agree, I didn't see anything "revolutionary" nor anything that we don't already do. And unless I blinked, I never saw a tarp. Just a little wonder blowing leaves up the curb. So where's the "smarter, faster, with no hauling away?"

borwicks
02-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Ok. Again. Refer to my comments. Don't just look at video and pics. I have times listed. Maybe this is beyound you guys that know "how to" Neither job required a tarp. And the blower is for reference on speed and referring to guys that would use a back pack blower or rakes. You are all to smart and must not work in this area. There are smart guys here but I see a lot of rookies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oakleaf landscape
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow you left a lot of leafs in those bushes... Not quality work IMO...

Gravelyftw
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Wow you left a lot of leafs in those bushes... Not quality work IMO...

was thinking the exact same thing. man that is horrible quality. You need to raise your standards. If i left a job looking like that i can expect to not have that yard anymore.

borwicks
02-13-2011, 06:21 PM
darn....you know every time i post on here i always leave out details...im sure i posted that the wind was blowing 20+mph with gusting to 30mph. YEA I DID...this was the first area that was cleaned...SPOTLESS.....GUESS I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PICTURE RIGHT AFTER WARDS...NOT 4 HOURS LATER..

Gravelyftw
02-13-2011, 07:10 PM
if the wind is 20+mph you have no business doing a leaf removal lol.

knox gsl
02-13-2011, 08:06 PM
if the wind is 20+mph you have no business doing a leaf removal lol.

He's in Nebraska, that's a calm day there.

Gravelyftw
02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
oh lol damn.

borwicks
02-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Windiest cities.....larger cities.
1 Great Falls, Montana

2 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

3 Boston, Massachusetts

4 Cheyenne, Wyoming

5 Wichita, Kansas

6 Buffalo, New York

7 Milwaukee, Wisconsin

8 Des Moines, Iowa

9 Providence, Rhode Island

10 Omaha, Nebraska

11 Dallas, Texas

borwicks
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
some more useless data.......
Top 10 cities with most weather variety
Based on temperature variation, precipitation, wind, severe weather
1. Springfield, Missouri
2. Topeka, Kansas
3. Rochester, Minnesota
4. Wichita, Kansas
5. Columbia, Missouri
6. Des Moines, Iowa
7. Lincoln, Nebraska
8. Madison, Wisconsin
9. Concordia, Kansas
10. Sioux City, Iowa

ericjd
02-14-2011, 11:31 PM
darn....you know every time i post on here i always leave out details...im sure i posted that the wind was blowing 20+mph with gusting to 30mph. YEA I DID...this was the first area that was cleaned...SPOTLESS.....GUESS I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PICTURE RIGHT AFTER WARDS...NOT 4 HOURS LATER..

If the wind was blowing 20, there would be a considerable amount of leaves left on the grass, not just the yews. You didn't blow those shrubs out, period.

And I'm also curious about how you have to haul less away because you used a Little Wonder instead of two backpack blowers. Color me confused.

THEGOLDPRO
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
i must not be getting the concept of what he is doing?? does he just mulch the piss out of the leaves or what?? i cant seem to make heads or tales of this lol. and the after looked like garbage to me.

Gravelyftw
02-14-2011, 11:57 PM
None of the LCOs i have ever worked for have left jobs that crappy

borwicks
02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
None of the LCOs i have ever worked for have left jobs that crappy

Quality of work is dictated by what customers expectations are and what there willing to pay.

borwicks
02-15-2011, 07:05 PM
If the wind was blowing 20, there would be a considerable amount of leaves left on the grass, not just the yews. You didn't blow those shrubs out, period.

And I'm also curious about how you have to haul less away because you used a Little Wonder instead of two backpack blowers. Color me confused.

The yews were not blown. the area i believe he was referring to was the bed area in and around the trees and bushes on the other side of property. They were blown into the turf and ground up.

There was nothing hauled off.

The walk behind blower is faster hands down. triple the cfms. My point is speed. Back packs are great for blowing beds and around tight stuff.

QUALITY IS DICTATED BY WHAT A CUSTOMER IS WILLING TO PAY AND THERE EXPECTATIONS.

ericjd
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
There was nothing hauled off.

The walk behind blower is faster hands down. triple the cfms. My point is speed. Back packs are great for blowing beds and around tight stuff.

I think we're all confused by this statement:

The yard in pics has taken 2 guys 2 days before and we hauled off 30 yards of waste. now takes one guy 4 hours and we haul nothing off. Both customers are 100 percent happy.

It was faster when you didn't have to haul away the leaves compared to when you did? I'll put that in the "duh" category. No doubt a WB blower will push more leafage than a backpack, but I still don't see how it eliminates loading and hauling. :wall

borwicks
02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
I think we're all confused by this statement:

It was faster when you didn't have to haul away the leaves compared to when you did? I'll put that in the "duh" category. No doubt a WB blower will push more leafage than a backpack, but I still don't see how it eliminates loading and hauling. :wall

The whole point here is that you have to convince the homeowner haul off is not needed and that the yard will be fine without haul off. The other point is to use equipment suited for the size of the job. Simple stuff not rocket science. Im getting bashed for this stupid post I was simply trying to make a point that some LCO's make there job seem harder than it really is.

ericjd
02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
What did you do with all the leaves that you couldn't have done before with backpack blowers? I just don't understand how a stronger blower eliminates the need to haul away leaves...seriously, you have me confused.

borwicks
02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
In years past we would haul all the leaves off. Due to her budget this year I told her we are not picking up the leaves. She was a little skeptical but said ok.

The thread is actually 2 things. Not picking up leaves and how to do it faster. This was intended for the "new guys"

borwicks
02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Looking back I should have provided more detail and the scope of the thread better. Most the posts are from people that know what there doing. I see alot of newbes asking these types of questions. how to cleanup, what to charge, bag or leave it.

THEGOLDPRO
02-15-2011, 08:47 PM
i just dont see how using a walk behind blower would make it any faster then a back pack blower considering all you do is mulch the leaves up, all you need to do is blow the beds out and around the house and start mulching.

if you ask me you just made this thread for the sake of making a thread. this info is basic at best. i personally dont mulch leaves as it looks like crap, but it it works for you then have fun.

organiclawncanada
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM
You needed to put more info in this thread as to what you did exactly. Not just showing a video of you pushing a blower. If I was a newbie I would be confused. :confused:

THEGOLDPRO
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Im not a newbie and i was still confused lol.

organiclawncanada
02-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree too. I am not a newbie and I was confused too. :confused:

Gravelyftw
02-16-2011, 12:05 AM
NO WAY the walk behind blower is really quicker then the backpack blower?!?!?! HOLY ****! thanks for the info dude!. And i didnt know blowing the leaves across the street was quicker then hauling them away! And the video OMG, NOW i finally know how to use one of those walk behind blower thingies! This thread is packed with GREAT information!

Agape
02-16-2011, 02:49 AM
In years past we would haul all the leaves off. Due to her budget this year I told her we are not picking up the leaves. She was a little skeptical but said ok.

The thread is actually 2 things. Not picking up leaves and how to do it faster. This was intended for the "new guys"

The "new guys" can't afford to loose business by doing bad work, not trying to bash, but you didn't explain that the faster part was convincing the HO to let you bury her bushes in leaves tht 20MPH winds will blow back into the yard.

grassmasterswilson
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
the problem is you said check out the video of my revolutionary technique. the video was of you pushing a blower and cleaning the gutters of a drive or street.

so your new faster revolutionary way to get leaves is use a push blower vs the backpack? Isn't that like saying i can mow faster with my ztr than my 21" push mower?

Lance712
04-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Posted via Mobile Device