PDA

View Full Version : line chaser, a little help

MPhillips
09-09-2002, 08:25 AM
I've been doing irrigation repair this year, and am planning on doing installs next year. Here's my question: what's a line chaser and what does it do? Thanks

HBFOXJr
09-09-2002, 02:06 PM
line chaser AKA "wire tracker"

A must for locating wire breaks, lost valves, electric to lamp posts, remote receptacles, site lighting, wiring to out buildings etc. We use Progressive Electronics 521. We also attach it to a metal "fish" and do drain lines and to copper tube for gas grills.

A professional must have.

SprinklerGuy
09-10-2002, 08:10 AM
Don't forget the ever popular.....2 inch deep, buried with a claw hammer.......invisible fences and phone lines.

Planter
09-11-2002, 01:37 AM
Yea, ain't the phone and cable lines great. Just under the sod and they want to charge you every time they hit them. Makes me mad they don't bury them to a proper depth.

Mataman
09-11-2002, 02:15 AM
The Progressive Electronics 521 is the only way to go. I could explain how to use it but it would be easier for your dealer to show you. It's a huge time saver. Runs about $700 but pays for itself quickly. goto your search engine and type in "Progressive Electronics 521". The offical webpage will tell you all it's additional uses

SprinklerGuy
09-11-2002, 07:41 AM
We have two of them and honestly they NEVER die. I have one that should be dead but just won't die! That being said, buy one USED from a supplier. I paid 200 for one and last year I paid 300 for the second one. Honestly, they can't be broken really. But them used and get them fixed if necessary. I think PEI charges about 150 to completely go through and update the unit. They will send you an instructional video and complete instructions if you ask. Great company

King City Lawns
10-25-2002, 03:32 PM
Sprinkler guy,

where are you buying these used????
cant find used at all.

turfman59
10-26-2002, 08:02 PM
Look on E bay....every now and then you'll see one they usually go for around 350.00 Next week I'am picking mine up from my supplier JDL they had two loners and are selling one.

Bruce

Arnold
10-26-2002, 08:42 PM
When digging in Wyoming all the phone, cable, gas and ever thing else is located by a Wyoming One Call and Call Before You Dig. You just call them and they do the rest notifing ever one with line or cable in the area. But they do say you must dig with hand tools within 24 inches of there mark. Talk about shallow phone lines I areated through one this year but the phone company said it was there falt and had no problems fixing it. So here in Wyoming there would be no reason to own a locater.

turfman59
10-29-2002, 10:51 AM
Arnold
there not going to come out and find a valve or a broken controller wire, or a yard light for you are they? After three years doing this as a side line there is no way for me to continue with out one.

Arnold
10-29-2002, 04:20 PM
I wasn't thinking about that . That does make good sense I guess I didn't think that one through.

daleintx
11-03-2002, 12:58 PM
I spent several years as a pipefitters helper and fitter in the Houston and Corpus Christi areas. However now I would like to try the sprinkler business. Can anyone tell me where some schools are around the San Antonio are that can help me get a license for sprinklers? Appreciate it.