PDA

View Full Version : How many unemployed start lawn biz?

South Florida Lawns
02-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I always wonder about this, Prices in my area seem to be at an all time low, I don't really go for houses any more, cant compete with $65 monthly.

Ric
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM
I always wonder about this, Prices in my area seem to be at an all time low, I don't really go for houses any more, cant compete with $65 monthly.

South

Great Question, But I am not sure there is a way to count that high. Most of these Fly by Night Yard Boys don't even get the $ 35.00 occupational License. Therefore there is no way to accurately counting them.

In good times we only had the Northern Losers who came to Florida to sponge off Grandma. They soon rolled Grandpa's old Crapsman out of the Car port and became Florida Landscape Experts. Now every out of work construction worker is a Yard Boy. My Area has 15% unemployment but I am lucky enough to have a few of those upscale retired Dinosaurs that want a nice yard.

tallrick
02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Well there was a time when most lawns were mowed by kids. They never had a tax number and only worked for cash or their allowance.

TYCINC
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Well there was a time when most lawns were mowed by kids. They never had a tax number and only worked for cash or their allowance.

there was also a time when people didnt sue if you got hurt on thier property. . theyd tell you tough ****, bandage yourself up and finish the job or gtfo. .

tallrick
02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
there was also a time when people didnt sue if you got hurt on thier property. . theyd tell you tough ****, bandage yourself up and finish the job or gtfo. .

Yes, the days when the US was the envy of the world. Now we are a bad joke heading for total collapse. I am still amazed to see the unemployed paying for lawn service while they and their kids sit on their lazy butt. Perhaps a new hunting season on lawyers can correct the problem.

Patriot Services
02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Torte reform, tax reform and a return of ethics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
02-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Rick Scott our new Governor has come out in favor of promoting all Business here in Florida. He wants to cut business taxes and red tape.

I personally feel he could do more for legal business where Certification or Register License are required, If he cracked down on those doing Illegal work with out the Licenses. I am talking Roofs on down to the guy who clears the Lot. Of Course the Pesticide industry has the biggest number of Illegal applicators.

Other side of the coin is a few thousand Scrub would be out of business and Prices for Legal certified work would raise.

So I guess there is no real answer because the cost to clean up the illegals wouldn't be looked upon favorable in the Big Picture.

tallrick
02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Or Rick could make it easier to be legal. You can never get rid of the illegals. They will just work for a "legal" contractor who will overcharge the customer and underpay his labor. Make it easier to start a legal business and let people work for a living instead of collecting a check.

Ric
02-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Or Rick could make it easier to be legal. You can never get rid of the illegals. They will just work for a "legal" contractor who will overcharge the customer and underpay his labor. Make it easier to start a legal business and let people work for a living instead of collecting a check.

Tallrick

I think you have a better chance of going on welfare than getting licensing requirement lowered. But then that might be wishful thinking on my part.

gregory
02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
i myself dont want things lowered.... i got an idea lets lower the requirements to be a doctor....

Ric
02-13-2011, 04:33 PM
i myself dont want things lowered.... i got an idea lets lower the requirements to be a doctor....

Karl

That is the difference in Attitude between those who have either paid their dues and have a license or those who are working towards a license and those who think the world owes them a Living.

What the Cry Babies fail to realize is, If everyone has a license then Irrigation or Pesticide work would be just like Grass cutting and every fool would be doing it cheaper than the next jerk.

tallrick
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
I wonder what people did before required licensing? Oh yes, they did quality work or went out of business. A license seems to build complacency and lowers the quality of work. I would prefer privately issued certification over government monopoly licensing. Why is it that in the fields with the least government involvement ( the computer industry) you found the most innovation and the lowest prices, while in those most heavily regulated (plumbing, electrical etc) you find high prices and little improvement?

Ric
02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I wonder what people did before required licensing? Oh yes, they did quality work or went out of business. A license seems to build complacency and lowers the quality of work. I would prefer privately issued certification over government monopoly licensing. Why is it that in the fields with the least government involvement ( the computer industry) you found the most innovation and the lowest prices, while in those most heavily regulated (plumbing, electrical etc) you find high prices and little improvement?

Tallrick

Your crying here is doing no good. I told you repeatedly THE LAW IS THE LAW and I or anyone else reading here don't make those laws. The world does not owe you a living or a Irrigation License.

My suggestion is to just do illegal installs until a Grass cutter break a pipe and the home owner calls a licensed irrigation contractor. He will pull As Build plans from the county to find there is not one and all Hell will break lose on you. I will then Laugh my ass off as I say I TOLD YOU SO.

tallrick
02-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Tallrick

Your crying here is doing no good. I told you repeatedly THE LAW IS THE LAW and I or anyone else reading here don't make those laws. The world does not owe you a living or a Irrigation License.

My suggestion is to just do illegal installs until a Grass cutter break a pipe and the home owner calls a licensed irrigation contractor. He will pull As Build plans from the county to find there is not one and all Hell will break lose on you. I will then Laugh my ass off as I say I TOLD YOU SO.

Don't count on it, there are few records for properties older than 1974 due to a "fire" in the county records. By the way, I only have done installs on properties I OWN not for others. On one home I lived in in another county I went to the building department to ask for a permit to install a sprinkler system and they told me no permit was necessary.

gregory
02-13-2011, 09:58 PM
ric sometimes i think i belong to the wrong generation.

dont get me wrong laws do suck but with out them what would this country be????

Ric
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
ric sometimes i think i belong to the wrong generation.

dont get me wrong laws do suck but with out them what would this country be????

They vote and reproduce.