PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu NPR - Cold Starting Trouble

MowSavannah
02-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I have a 1995 Isuzu NPR Turbo Diesel.... just got it a month or so ago, have not put it on the road for work yet as I have been getting a few things sorted out. It has gotten pretty cold, I have no experience with Diesels or Isuzus.

Can you identify what these are and what they do? I am assuming it is a "choke" from the pictue on the knob but really do not know. Please let me know.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/CleanSavannah/IMG00255-20110209-0951.jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/CleanSavannah/IMG00254-20110209-0951.jpg

wambam
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
yes i can help the top one is throttle twist to pight for more throttle just while parked.............not cruise cont. the light in dash is exaust brake u turn it off and on by pulln back on wiper control

MowSavannah
02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
yes i can help the top one is throttle twist to pight for more throttle just while parked.............not cruise cont. the light in dash is exaust brake u turn it off and on by pulln back on wiper control

You rule!!! Thanks! Now....why would you need more throttle when parked?

What does an exhaust brake do?

MowSavannah
02-13-2011, 06:54 AM
In addition to "wambam" and For Future Reference if others have questions about NPR stuff.....

The knob adjusts the idle rpm and the green lights in the dash means the exhaust brake is on. there is a indicator lever on the right hand side of the wheel pull back on it to turn the exhaust brake on and off.

On a NPR the exhaust brake is engaged by pulling back the wiper control lever. Keep this on when the vehicle is in motion and you'll really notice it saves on brake wear, and really helps slow down the vehicle at highway speeds and on downgrades, without using the brakes. The choke knob is used to adjust the idle speed during cold starts.

Always keep the exhaust brake on and you will prolong the life of the brakes as they are not the best part of these trucks.

Most diesel truck engines need a little time before the glow plugs are hot enough/glow plug light is off and the engine is ready to start.
NPRs (i've had 99 to 05) heat up the glow plugs almost instantly and the glow plug light will turn off quickly after you turn the ignition on, prior cranking. The glow plug light on the dashboard is an orange spring.

Make sure when its cold, the diesel motor needs to worm up a little on idle. I've heard, the biggest wear of a diesel engine is if you push it when its still cold. Always go slowly on the gas pedal, this kills the diesel engine as well.

Keep the speed below 65 and avoid rapid take off on the traffic lights and you will get good mileage on it .

shaunnshelly
02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
I also have a 2000 Isuzu NPR. the Green light is on but I notice no difference in breaking with it on. Is there fuses or some wiring info someone could help with??

Thanks

shaunnshelly
02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Light comes on but no difference in braking or slowing down like typical Jake Brake

doubleedge
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
You rule!!! Thanks! Now....why would you need more throttle when parked?

What does an exhaust brake do?

The higher idle knob is to be used with PTO implements, such as a dump body, towing equipment, service lift, etc.