PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge to spread 6 cubic yards of gravel

valawncare
02-12-2011, 06:22 PM
A client of mine asked how much I'd charge to spread 6 cubic yards of gravel over his driveway. Gravel will be dumped at the bottom of the driveway. I've spread mulch a million times, just have never done gravel. What have you all charged in the past for something like this?

Many thanks in advance!

GreenmanCT
02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
A client of mine asked how much I'd charge to spread 6 cubic yards of gravel over his driveway. Gravel will be dumped at the bottom of the driveway. I've spread mulch a million times, just have never done gravel. What have you all charged in the past for something like this?

Many thanks in advance!

hope your not gonna use a shovel and a wheelbarrow for that. rent a skid steer or sub it out to someone with one.

godzilla
02-13-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't know if it's worth it for 6 yards to rent a machine, but what I do is get the material on the truck, and slowly drive forward as 2 other guys are pulling it off the back with rakes.

FLCthes4:11-12
02-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't know if it's worth it for 6 yards to rent a machine, but what I do is get the material on the truck, and slowly drive forward as 2 other guys are pulling it off the back with rakes.

6 yards would weigh about 12,000lbs or more. Either rent a tractor or skid of some sort even a dingo, better yet be there for the delivery and have the driver set the spreader chains and spread as he dumps.

02-13-2011, 01:12 PM
6 yards would weigh about 12,000lbs or more. Either rent a tractor or skid of some sort even a dingo, better yet be there for the delivery and have the driver set the spreader chains and spread as he dumps.

sounds easiest, agree x's 2,, be at the site for the delivery driver

Darryl G
02-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Best is to have it "gate spread" rather than put in a pile. It won't be perfect but it helps. The exact type of material can make a big difference in how hard it is to spread. The finer it is, the easier it is in general. I usually use what they call 3/4 process for driveways...some call it crusher run...local names will vary. Basically it's 3/4 minus and includes the fines. Something like 3/4 clean stone is much harder to spread.

I agree though, probably best renting a machine.

I stopped doing crushed stone driveways though. It seems that people think that every time a pothole shows it's face they think I'm going to come out and fix it for free indefinitely. I'll still do paths, but no more drives for me.

valawncare
02-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Great, thanks everyone for the advice!

greenhorn123
02-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Geez I would not rent a machine for 6 yards, that would eat all your profit! You and one guy should knock that out in a couple hrs.

FLCthes4:11-12
02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Not six yards of Mulch but of GRAVEL...I got to do this everyday not about to move that much by hand if we dont have to.BTW 6 yards is about 10 "regular" size ss scoops.

lukemelo216
02-21-2011, 09:38 PM
ya just have the dump truck spread it, then you take some heavy rakes and just spread it. Probably an hour or two at most to spread that all out and get it level and such