PDA

View Full Version : What Fert. to apply after re-seeding

nuklhd
09-09-2002, 09:31 AM
On August 24th I re-seeded my back lawn which I did a complete overkill on with Prosecutor three weeks prior, the front just got a verti-cut and aereation the back got the full works as recommended by the great people here.

I used Lesco's Teamate plus seed mixture and Starter Fertilizer, 10lbs per 1000 sq. ft. in back and 5lbs for overseeding the front. I have had my irrigation system running 4 times per day at about 7 minutes per zone until last Wednedsay. I now have it set at 2 times per day for about 12 minutes per zone.

All of the new seed is coming in great. I am wondering if I should use a turf builder type product on both front and back this weekend, just wondering if all of this irrigation water has made the starter fertilizer get all used up.

Location- Kansas City.

Any comments greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kent Lawns
09-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Without a soil test, we shoot from the hip:

A fert high in Phosphorus (P) applied at 1-1.5#/ai/m

New lawns also need adequate amounts of N & K (1#/m) on a FREQUENT basis. (every 2-4 weeks.)

Again, without a soil test, the best is just guesswork !

HBFOXJr
09-09-2002, 02:43 PM
I actually did a trial on side by side irrigated plots in Aug of 2001. Both seeded with Team Mates Plus, one slit seded and one aerated heavily and broadcast seeded.

Half of each plot was fertlized with 5-10-31 @ 5 lbs/K and the other half got 28-3-10 with 40% nutraleen. pH was a whisker low on soil test so they got lime equally. Potash was low.

The 28-3-10 fed turf was the superior performer. I think the need for N in seedling turf has been greatly underestimated. The need for P greatly over estimated except for areas of the country where it is naturally deficient.

Here in NJ we genrally have available P in the medium range even when poor fertility exists. Our K is really, really low and must be feed heavily.