PDA

View Full Version : Single axle or Dual axle

wachonee
02-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I am new to the business and was looking for some advice. I have a 54" ztr and a 36" walk behind. Approximate weight 1200 lbs. What is the best trailer application for residential lawns. :dizzy:

hondarancher4435
02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
depends on lots of things. what will you be towing with, how big of a trailer do you want or need. i prefer my 6x16 tandem to any single axle ive pulled tows real nice. some advantages to the tandem are less tongue weight, less tire wear, higher capacity, more brakes if you have them on all wheels, if a tire goes flat you can usually limp it home. single axles are however cheaper and cost a little less to maintain.

if your only looking at like a 6x12 i say single axle but anything bigger go with a tandem

bel-nor
02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
A single axle trailer at least 12 foot long and 6 foot wide should take care of your equipment. The trailers in that range can handle about 2500-3000 pounds. Keep in mind you may be hauling mulch and other associated equipment/items such as ladders, tarped leafs and landscape materials. Try to purchase a good one long and strong enough for what you will be trailering and keep in mind any new equipment you may be pondering on. I got a 5x12 because there wasn't a 5x10 at the time on the lot, believe it or not that was what I really needed. I guess like boats it's easy to get two footitus:) Good luck to you this season.

Robert Pruitt
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM
I am new to the business and was looking for some advice. I have a 54" ztr and a 36" walk behind. Approximate weight 1200 lbs. What is the best trailer application for residential lawns. :dizzy:

are you sure that weight is not just the ztr? you should get a 16ft. enough room for the Z,W/B,21in. spreader and about 400# of fertilizer.

02-12-2011, 10:46 PM
I always prefer a dual axel because it doesn't bounce as much as a single and in case you have a flat or blow out with a heavy load you still have a tire on that side to slow down to pull over on to the side of the road. It also makes it easier to get a jack under the trailer by having a tire on that side already having it up some. Plus when you need that extra capacity for heavier loads you have it.

sedge
02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
are you sure that weight is not just the ztr? you should get a 16ft. enough room for the Z,W/B,21in. spreader and about 400# of fertilizer.

Get the shortest trailer that will work for your equipment, put the damn fert in your truck. the short trailer will help to be able to park closer to your yards.

godzilla
02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
For somebody who is looking to expand a dual axle is the better bet. Odds are you could make do with a 12' single axle without any trouble, but if you are looking to expand you'll want a 16' or better with dual axles. I've got one that I actually want to get rid of. It's too big for the neighborhoods I work in, and I have a dump truck for hauling bulkier / heavier items.

Robert Pruitt
02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Get the shortest trailer that will work for your equipment, put the damn fert in your truck. the short trailer will help to be able to park closer to your yards.

have other crap in my truck. this thread is about a trailer. you must have a short trailer. plus the bigger one will pull better.

godzilla
02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
have other crap in my truck. this thread is about a trailer. you must have a short trailer. plus the bigger one will pull better.

One could say that a bigger trailer will always tow better, and be right. However you still need to be able to pull it, and get it around the places you work in without too much trouble.

wachonee
02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
For somebody who is looking to expand a dual axle is the better bet. Odds are you could make do with a 12' single axle without any trouble, but if you are looking to expand you'll want a 16' or better with dual axles. I've got one that I actually want to get rid of. It's too big for the neighborhoods I work in, and I have a dump truck for hauling bulkier / heavier items.

I may need to put the business in a position to expand and will not be able to if I use the single axle. Do you have any more details on the trailer you have. (make, year, pics)

wachonee
02-12-2011, 11:33 PM
There is many considerations that will factor into my final decision. Thanks for info on the different variables I need to look at. I am pulling with a 2003 1500 Avalanche.

cvcook
02-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Tandem axles aren't as bouncy, but tires wear out much sooner if you make sharp turns ( u-turns in cul-de-sacs)than single axles

HPSInc
02-12-2011, 11:43 PM
this is my 7 x 12 tandem axle. its very easy to drive with and back up with, it can hold plenty of weight (dual 3500# axles) , very smooth and plenty of room. almost went with a 6 x 12 single axle but going with a bit wider of a trailer and tandem axle has paid off. I would go with a tandem if you can. My uncle runs a single axle and a few times hes been loaded and blown a tire and it hasnt been pretty.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8716/1001265l.jpg

cvcook
02-12-2011, 11:50 PM
HPS, that sure is a pretty trailer. was the pic taken before it was worked out of? charish the moment because it won't look like that for long lol!

HPSInc
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
yes that was the day i brought it home. still looks very nice but not THAT nice lol

Landrus2
02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Dually is the way to go

Jason Rose
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
I agree, tandem axle is the way to go. I also don't care what some others have said about getting the smallest trailer so it's easier to park, that depends on where you live, how tight your neghiborhoods are. I pull a 20' trailer every day and rarely have a problem parking anywhere here. If you go with something that the equipment you have NOW will just fit on then in a year or two, or even sooner, you are going to be pissed you have to get a larger trailer. Tandem axle trailers are less bouncy, which means your equipment and trimmers don't get beat up so much. The drawback is they DO eat tires faster, much faster... and by federal law you must have brakes on BOTH axles since you are using the trailer for a business. most trailers you see at the trailer stores will only have brakes on one axle, and single axle trailers will almost never have brakes. It's more expense all the way around, that's for sure, but it's still better than having a trailer that's too small. If you want to add a 21" mower later, or haul an aerator or seeder sometimes... it's best to have the room already.

AllAmericanlawn
02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I have had many different trailers and if you tow it every day a tandem axle will kill you in cost of tires. Tandems do tow a little smoother if you have a truck powerful enough to pull it. I mow out of Isuzu NPR box truck now. Thats the best money i have ever spent. I got rid of the trailer as far as mowing. I still use a single axle 6 x 12 to landscape with. I get much better gas mileage with single axle to.

ALC-GregH
02-13-2011, 05:32 PM
this is my 7 x 12 tandem axle. its very easy to drive with and back up with, it can hold plenty of weight (dual 3500# axles) , very smooth and plenty of room. almost went with a 6 x 12 single axle but going with a bit wider of a trailer and tandem axle has paid off. I would go with a tandem if you can. My uncle runs a single axle and a few times hes been loaded and blown a tire and it hasnt been pretty.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8716/1001265l.jpg

That's a nice trailer but it's going to cost you more to pull it then my 6x14 single axle that can carry even more debris. It all boils down to how much work you have to justify the added cost of a dual axle. The only advantage would be the ability to carry more weight. I didn't buy my trailer to haul a skid loader around.

I'm so glad I didn't go with the 7x16 dual axle they had at the lot when I bought the 6x14 single axle.

RLS24
02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
whatever size you "think" you need, get one if not 2 sizes up. Look at the pic below. That 12' trailer was great when I just had the 36" and the 48" WB:
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=193505&stc=1&d=1278649037

and then once I changed ONE piece of equipment, nothing fits where I want it and it suddenly became too small:
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=195952&stc=1&d=1281056062

FYI, the bigger mower in the second pic is a 54" so with your setup, you are prob gonna end up turning the 36" sideways. If you dont mind it, thats ok, but I can't stand it that way. And with those 2 pieces, 12' isn't gonna leave you anywhere to grow. In your case, I would get a dual axle, 7x16 with a side gate. that way you can run what you have now, put your 36" sideways up from and it out the side easy, and have enough room to add a second ZTR when the time comes.

Jason Rose
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Maybe its already been mentioned, but your weight is going to be an issue. A single axle trailer will typically have a 3500 pound axle. Your 54" zero turn weighs around 1,200 pounds, by itself, the 36" walk probably comes in around 400 pounds+. Add fuel cans and another mower and you have 2000 pounds of payload. Ok, what's the trailer weigh? Probably around 700 pounds, just a guess off the top of my head for one that size. So now you have a 3500 pound axle that's running near it's weight limit, all the time. Over time it WILL start to bow, springs bottom out in bumps and so on... Decide in the future to get another small zero turn instead of the walk behind and now you are over weight. Let the DOT have a hay-day with that one... It's better to have MORE hauling capacity than what you need...

My 20' trailer has 3500 pound axles. I carry a 61" grasshopper, 48" walker, 36" walker, 21" 20 gallons of fuel in cans, trimmers, blowers, hand tools, tool box filled with tools and stuff I use day to day... My trailer, loaded, weighs just a fuzz under 7,000 pounds. I have a lot of issues with axles, tires, etc. because it's always loaded to the max... I wanted badly to step into a heavier built trailer with 5200 pound axles, but because of the GVWR of my truck, I can't without having a class C CDL! I'd be just over 26,000 GVWR.

XLS
02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
MarkRi you may need to consider a fold up sulkie upgrade it looks like it all would fit with a simple change?. just go as wide as you have avalible a 6.5'x12' single will haul alot of items and also consider that the current truck wont be a work truck long and if you add a gate a better work truck you can haul the 36 on the truck aleaving teh trailer to haul 2 z mowers. We have #1-6.5x14' tandom and #3-6.5x 12 singles and you get longer tire life, and fuel milage with the single and tandoms are for weight. we load 2 walkers on our 12' singles and even though its pushing the axle max weight we have never had springor axle problems in 4 years.

rmslawns
02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I have been dealing with the same decision this off season. I started with a 5 x 8 trailer to load a 48 wb and a push mower. Has been great and helped me make money. I bought a 54" ztr the end of this past season and use both mowers now. I have some neighborhoods with cul de sacs etc to turn around in. I do not want the tandem axle for some of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I have found a 6.4x12 single axle with a side gate. I prefer that set up when I have both mowers on there. I am a solo guy on my off days from the fire dept so I do not want to become too big of a business. I have the option of adding a 5.2k axle under this trailer which I may do and have a brake added but will see how it pulls before I hook it up. Trailers sell quick used around here. If I ever find I need to get a bigger trailer one day, then I will. You have to make the call but you know what will work for you now..and what you can afford in your budget.

nateturner
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
So im planning on building a trailer real soon. Im thinking of going with 7 x 14ft. I will probably just end up doing a single axle. Does this sound fine if im hauling a 42 inch walker, a push mower, blower, trimmers, and gas?

Attorney-at-Lawn
02-13-2011, 11:11 PM
I am starting my 10th season and have continued to use my single axle trailer, and simply modified it as needed (added top level for 2 21" mowers while hauling a 52" GS and a 36" Toro WB). My main reason is to keep my combined GVWR under 10,000 pounds. 6900 for full sized truck plus 2950 for trailer keeps me from having to jump through all the red tape the DOT requires. Not fun if you are a solo operator. Most dual axle trailers are going to be weight rated high enough to place you square in the crosshairs of DOT regs. Something you might want to check into and consider.

XLS
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Nateturner if your going to haul grass clipping the walker collects on the 14' length then you will have to build it 8' wide and add a gate on the side or be faced with lifting the deck after a few jobs and then your weight will make you need a dual axel If your Never hauling grass then a 5x8 trailer will haul a walker blower trimmer ect. by using the tongue to hold fuel.
even so i would recomend a 6.5'x 12 for your walker. plenty of room for your set up and later you could add a side gate up front and add up to a 4' walkbehind

ALC-GregH
02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
So im planning on building a trailer real soon. Im thinking of going with 7 x 14ft. I will probably just end up doing a single axle. Does this sound fine if im hauling a 42 inch walker, a push mower, blower, trimmers, and gas?

Here's a pic of a 6x14 single axle I posted previously. It carries a Scag Tiger Cub with a 61in deck, a BOP Dually, a push mower and of course all the other handhelds and hand tools. I built the side gate to make things easy so I'm not pulling off the big mower when I don't have too.

You shouldn't have any problems hauling what you listed and still have some room for other stuff.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0042-1.jpg

nateturner
02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
thanks XlS and ALC-GregH. im still sort of leaning towards the fourteen foot trailer. i still havent decided dual axle or not.
ALC-GregH, Do you haul clippings in yours, and if so how do you go about that?

XLS- Why do you say 8 feet wide for collecting? How is your grass storage set up for that? thanks.

ALC-GregH
02-14-2011, 06:31 PM
If I have to carry off clippings, I'd use the back of the truck. However, all of my accounts but a few have a place to dump on site.

ALC-GregH
02-14-2011, 06:34 PM
If you're wanting to have a debris bin on the trailer too. You'll need a dual axle just for the added room you'll need and that might put you over 10k.

XLS
02-15-2011, 10:31 AM
on a 14' trailer giong to a 8' wide trailer will allow you to use a side gate in the front for the walker you will have a 6' space for the walker and other stuff and a 8'x8' box for grass clippings . we put 3' to 4' tall 3/4'' plywood walls around the box for the grass bin. you can haul 18-25 dumps of grass like this and just load/lunload it out the rear gate. we love it on our smaller 1 mower crews. on most 14' trailers you will use the area from the wheels forward for the equipment and both axles carry the grass. also when you load the trailer in the morning you can put the mower in the back to help balance the trailer load.

nateturner
02-16-2011, 07:31 PM
on a 14' trailer giong to a 8' wide trailer will allow you to use a side gate in the front for the walker you will have a 6' space for the walker and other stuff and a 8'x8' box for grass clippings . we put 3' to 4' tall 3/4'' plywood walls around the box for the grass bin. you can haul 18-25 dumps of grass like this and just load/lunload it out the rear gate. we love it on our smaller 1 mower crews. on most 14' trailers you will use the area from the wheels forward for the equipment and both axles carry the grass. also when you load the trailer in the morning you can put the mower in the back to help balance the trailer load.

oh ok sounds like a good system. How do you unload the grass. Im guessing you open the back gate and that will let lots of grass out. do you just unload the rest with a pitchfork and shovel?

XLS
02-18-2011, 07:51 PM
you can do a pitchfork if you like , a heavy tarp will roll it out as well