PDA

View Full Version : Turf Management Boot Camp at NC State this week

jonthepain
02-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Off to turf management boot camp at NC State. Oh boy! I've been looking forward to this for months.

Two of my boys went to State, now I get to go.

:)

LiveGreenLawn
02-14-2011, 07:05 AM
I live in Raleigh area. What is the turf boot camp??
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Be tough, Jon. :waving:

jonthepain
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
NC State offers a "Certified Turfgrass Professional" certification. Today was great!

Am learning a lot. It's awesome to be able to talk with professional turf managers and researchers.

starry night
02-14-2011, 08:31 PM
N.C. State has a fine reputation in horticulture ..............
almost as good as THE Ohio State University. :)

jonthepain
02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
lol well put

NC State, an original agricultural land grant university, indeed has a fine horticultural reputation, and especially their college of turfgrass management.

Now my oldest and youngest sons would say that their college of engineering have the finest reputation, while my middle son would claim that the college of management at State takes that prize.

personally, I would argue that a degree in Geography at Southern Oregon University trumps them all, however, I am slightly biased on that point, considering that both my wife and I earned that honor.

;D

Green Feet Lawn
02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds like one we have in NY. Cornell University does a Turfgrass Shortcourse with the NYS Turfgrass Association. 5 days 8 Am - 9 PM and covers soils, IPM, grass species, maintenance, etc. And a test to validate what you learned.

jonthepain
02-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Yes but with Cornell you also get Ivy

tip o the hat :)

(my dad went to Wharton)

starry night
02-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes but with Cornell you also get Ivy

tip o the hat :)

(my dad went to Wharton)

Wharton? Man you got the pedigree, Jon.

jonthepain
02-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately it skipped a generation. Mine. thanks, though.

Dad was something. He was a codebreaker during WWII. Worked in that concrete bunker at Pearl.

starry night
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
You know what, I think maybe I will start a thread of "what you did you learn from your Dad?" Watch for it.

ICT Bill
02-15-2011, 11:08 AM
You know what, I think maybe I will start a thread of "what you did you learn from your Dad?" Watch for it.

I learned how to be a SOB from my dad, joking, one of the sweetest guys you ever want to meet

jonthepain
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
"what you did you learn from your Dad?"

When to hold my tongue.

Still working on it, but I'm a lot better than I used to be!

(hint: for me, almost always) :laugh: