PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emergent herbicide

vencops
02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
My thread title is really a question.

What's the process and timeline (using today as the starting point) to remove clover and crabgrass from an existing lawn. What about seeding?

No PH test has been done. Nothing added to lawn since a light dusting of lime a couple years ago.

tombo82685
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
My thread title is really a question.

What's the process and timeline (using today as the starting point) to remove clover and crabgrass from an existing lawn. What about seeding?

No PH test has been done. Nothing added to lawn since a light dusting of lime a couple years ago.

is the crabgrass present right now? if not just put down an application of crabgrass control with either dimension or barricade... if the crabgrass is present best i've seen is acclaim.

For clover, confront active ingredient triclopyr and colyoplyr.

vencops
02-15-2011, 05:23 PM
If you were gonna do these three things.....is this the order you would use?

1. Core Aerification
2. Lime application
3. Weed & Feed

Thanks.

tombo82685
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
If you were gonna do these three things.....is this the order you would use?

1. Core Aerification
2. Lime application
3. Weed & Feed

Thanks.
yea that looks right, assuming you did a soil analysis and need lime. The weed and feed is the crabgrass preventor correct?

vencops
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
That would be correct.

Thank you.

Turf Dawg
02-15-2011, 11:25 PM
The term "Weed and Feed" is generally used on Post Emergent fertilizers and would do nothing for Crabgrass. I'm not sure about your temp time frame in NC, but you would need to put down some type of "Pre Emergent" down before the soil temp is a steady 55-60 degrees for Crabgrass control. If this is a lawn that needs seeding then the pre m would prohibit that but it is better to do seeding in the Fall.

lilmarvin4064
02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
For clover, confront active ingredient triclopyr and colyoplyr.

Confront (triclopyr and clopyralid) on residential turf is illegal.

tombo82685
02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Confront (triclopyr and clopyralid) on residential turf is illegal.

ahh ok, thanks. I know its alright for golf course use, didn't know it was illegal for lawns. Not really familiar that much with the lawn aspect of chemicals which is why im on here. Is trimec illegal also? That would be my second choice for clover.

Collegepro
02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes make your sure you dont seed and then put down crabgrass pre-emerg of vise versa

vencops
02-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks. I don't have plans to seed, until fall.

ReddensLawnCare
02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Im in the charlotte area and I am putting my first round of Pre em down with barricade on Friday..the soil temps at last check were around 48 degrees 4 inches down.i like to do it when they are at 50-55 but for times sake and the fact that it doesnt look like we will be getting much if any rain..means the product will sit there for a while as the temps warm up. So here you best schedule in my opinion:
Febuary 18-March 1: Pre Em 1
April 18-June1: Second
**after 3rd mowing spray 3-way or some other broad leaf control...blanket app..
July 5-20: General Fert and possible spot spray with 3-way or Momentum
September 1: Spot Spray or blanket depending on crabgrass and weeds with Drive XLR8
September 15-October 20: Aerate seed and fert with lime as well
November 10- December 1: Winterizer

Hope that helps..thats what I use and it works pretty well...if others have ideas..please post..i like learning too :)

vencops
02-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Does it really take that many applications?

Are you doing this with a boom sprayer or a broadcast spreader?

Now....what if my yard has a LOT of clover and crabgrass? Am I gonna have to endure bare spots? I don't suppose I can kill the crabgrass and grow grass at the same time. Seems the crabgrass inhibitor wouldn't allow germination of the grass seed.

If I do this quickly.....would it be OK to:

Aerate (Friday)
Lime (Fri. or Sat)
Pre-emergent (Sun or Mon)

Thanks

ReddensLawnCare
02-17-2011, 09:36 AM
NO!! The Pre-em that you are most likely going to buy will keep the seed from Germinating. Thats one reason it is best to seed in the fall when crabgrass is not actively growing. One option is to go to a local john deere landscapes and ask them about Tupersan...look it up on here..it is a wetable powder that you spray through a backpack sprayer. I use a broadcast spreader for everything but the 3-way and Drive xlr8. I just seeded my personal lawn yesterday b/c i waited to long last year to seed. I will be putting down a pre emergent in about 1.5 months in a single application. I have access to a lot of expensive chemicals leftover from my jobsites so I can spray without to much extra cost. A beautiful lawn can be pricey. If you seed now...until you get two physical mowings on the new turf..then you can put out that pre-em without much trouble..get to 3 mowings and you can spray..Send me a PM if you want and I will give you a call this afternoon.

vencops
02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Not sure where you guys keep reading I'm going to seed (now). I'm not.

I think I've decided to just let the yard go wild this year. I'll spray the worst area with roundup in mid august.....aerate and seed a couple months later.

I am going to lime, tomorrow......in prep for the fall seeding.

Thanks for all of your input.

ReddensLawnCare
02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry..i assumed when you said aerate..that you meant seed as well...sorry bout that

New Day
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Im in the charlotte area and I am putting my first round of Pre em down with barricade on Friday..the soil temps at last check were around 48 degrees 4 inches down.i like to do it when they are at 50-55 but for times sake and the fact that it doesnt look like we will be getting much if any rain..means the product will sit there for a while as the temps warm up. So here you best schedule in my opinion:
Febuary 18-March 1: Pre Em 1
April 18-June1: Second
**after 3rd mowing spray 3-way or some other broad leaf control...blanket app..
July 5-20: General Fert and possible spot spray with 3-way or Momentum
September 1: Spot Spray or blanket depending on crabgrass and weeds with Drive XLR8
September 15-October 20: Aerate seed and fert with lime as well
November 10- December 1: Winterizer

Hope that helps..thats what I use and it works pretty well...if others have ideas..please post..i like learning too :)
We r on the Outer Banks and I was given this program for our bermuda grass. I have customized the program for our company but good start for us:

January 1st-15 (if needed) - balan (sandspur/cactus pre emergence
January - February - round up speedzone combo (clean up from winter weeds and grass)
March 1st - 15th - 5-5-25 w/ pre emerg control for crabgrass
May 15th-20th - 19-0-6 with postemerg control
June 15 - 20 - 29-0-5
july 30 - Aug 10 - 29-0-5
sept 10 - 15 - 5-5-25 w/ pre emerg for winter control of weeds

spot spray with selective herbicide as needed

ozark01
02-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Not sure where you guys keep reading I'm going to seed (now). I'm not.

I think I've decided to just let the yard go wild this year. I'll spray the worst area with roundup in mid august.....aerate and seed a couple months later.

I am going to lime, tomorrow......in prep for the fall seeding.

Thanks for all of your input.

It sounds like you are in the same situation I am in. I have a bare yard that I sprayed with roundup last September to kill the weeds and crabgrass. From what I understand reading on here....if I don't put down a pre-emergent and the crabgrass grows...it will put out seeds and start the crabgrass cycle all over again. So I'm planning on putting out a pre-emergent now and a post-emergent in 6 to 8 weeks. Then I plan to sow grass in September.

ReddensLawnCare
02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Ozark..i would do a split pre emergent. Use dimmension or stonewall

ozark01
02-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Ok....thanks! I see you are near me...(I'm in Durham). What dates would you use to apply the two applications and seed?

ReddensLawnCare
02-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I started mine Friday and intend to be done by this coming Friday. The next one will follow two months later. The Stonewall has a 4 month residual so if you spread it in Late April, it will be deteriorated by september for seeding. I would do a soil sample test and see what kind of ammendments you need and do those as needed so that when you plant your seed, your soil will be in good shape. Plant in September

ozark01
02-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Which Stonewall do you use? These two are available near me.

STONEWALL 0.29% 17-0-6 30%PPSCU
STONEWALL 0.43% 0-0-8M

Also why would you use Stonewall over Dimension since Dimension has the post emergent ability also?

ReddensLawnCare
02-20-2011, 05:36 PM
I like the .29...stonewall first app...dim. second

ozark01
02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Do you see any advantage over granule or liquid forms?

ReddensLawnCare
02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I do...absolutely... Granule seems to spread easier and cheaper..plus.i believe it works better.