PDA

View Full Version : Whick Skidsteer?

chris.outdoor
02-14-2011, 06:31 PM
well first off my name is chris. i am going on my second year of business. I am looking to expand this year with a 1 ton dump and a skid. i have been operating equipment all my life so i know the in's and out's on machines. but i find my self in a quandry. iv run cat, kom, tak, deer, bobcat and asv. I love the cat for many reasons. I cant justafy spending 60k on a dealers lot for a skid. BUT i can get one with 100hrs for under 40k. here is my problem, im trying to figure out if i should invest in a track loader OR the compact track loader with all steel undercarrage... iv had the plastic bogey wheels fall off before and i like the all steel. but i find my self doing my landscaping 75% of the time. so the low ground pressure of the track loader is appealing.

Looking for opinions on the all steel ungercarrage or the standard model. sorry for the long post. i do everything from new lawns, mulching, patios, driveways, demo, pads, house lots, loam, street work etc etc. thanks in advance

Landrus2
02-14-2011, 06:44 PM
You say this is your second year at it. try renting for a couple of years if you have lots of demand for that type of equipment. than buy but don’t forget it’s a week market

AEL
02-14-2011, 07:52 PM
If you landscape 75 % of the time get an asv or cat with the susp undercarrige. if you work in alot of abbrasive materials get a solid steel u/c.

chris.outdoor
02-14-2011, 09:45 PM
You say this is your second year at it. try renting for a couple of years if you have lots of demand for that type of equipment. than buy but donít forget itís a week market

true it is a weak market. we will see how my pending maintenance goes. and its tough ground here in NH which is why i was thinking solid UC. its called the Granite State for a reason lol.

swanny
02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
all these opinions are enough to make your head spin, but the Loegering VTS track system is sometimes the best of both worlds for you landscapers. Just take into consideration the overall width of the tracks on the machine.

Dedicated track system with suspension, two hour changeover to tires.

Used machines and used VTS systems with low hours are much less than new.

Hollowellreid
02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Whatever is the absolute best deal you can get. There is no reason at all to spend $40k on something you occasionally use. If you really hammer out a good deal you should be able to get something modern and pretty nice for under $10k. Search craigslist etc. There are deals out there.

Some days I think we have made more money over the years making the "right" purchase and fixing our own equipment cheaply than we have doing contracting....

chris.outdoor
02-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Whatever is the absolute best deal you can get. There is no reason at all to spend $40k on something you occasionally use. If you really hammer out a good deal you should be able to get something modern and pretty nice for under $10k. Search craigslist etc. There are deals out there.

Some days I think we have made more money over the years making the "right" purchase and fixing our own equipment cheaply than we have doing contracting....

This is true. i would have to say that i used a tracked skidsteer a solid 4 out of 5 months last summer on the 3 house lots and odd jobs i was doing. Also a friend of mine is ALWAYS looking for a skid to rent. so i could rent it out to him as a owner operator when he needs it. I use them on almost every job i do. Im mostly worried about which undercarriage to choose to limit down time, breakdowns and cost of repair.Not to mention i would use it alot for snow removal and i have an account that SHOULD have a skid steer on it. im heading to cat in the morning and see what they say also. IE price of parts on each undercarriage and expected hours you can get out of them. I NEVER beat on machines or put them in areas that could potentially cause a breakdown. we shall see

AEL
02-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Do not get a solid u/c machine for snow removal, ecspecially if your lots are not flat.

chris.outdoor
02-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Do not get a solid u/c machine for snow removal, ecspecially if your lots are not flat.

most are flat. why u say that? just asking.

bighornjd
02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
most are flat. why u say that? just asking.

Because they pretty much suck in the snow...

A wheeled machine is best for snow, especially with dedicated snow tires, track machines don't have enough ground psi to get decent traction. There are tracks with different tread designs that offer a slight improvement, but if you wanna move a lot of snow, like with a lrge pushbox, traction will be an issue. The susp UC's seem to do a bit better in the snow, probably in between a solid UC and tires.

chris.outdoor
02-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Because they pretty much suck in the snow...

A wheeled machine is best for snow, especially with dedicated snow tires, track machines don't have enough ground psi to get decent traction. There are tracks with different tread designs that offer a slight improvement, but if you wanna move a lot of snow, like with a lrge pushbox, traction will be an issue. The susp UC's seem to do a bit better in the snow, probably in between a solid UC and tires.

I was thinking the polar tracks BUT now you are talking 2 sets of tracks on a machine. i just ran a deer with the non flat demo tires last week and a 2yd snow bucket and it wasnt too bad. on the other hand i ran a t190 with BALD BALD tracks and it held its own. I have an apt complex that i would like the machine on with a KAGE system. and pending the bid i have to remove snow at 4 dunkin donuts locations. i just never liked the bouncing and turning with the wheeld machines

swanny
02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
The polar tracks are good....the guys who clear the Giant Foods complex up the street have them on their T190's.

I don't really care for the T190's....the ones I've owned/operated have had the nasty clunking sound in the front idler block...this morning I was running my friend's 2010 loading logs and firewood for several hours...100hrs on machine...sounded like it was coming apart.

McLaren's NextGen TDF's do even better in the snow than the CAT tracks...makes the rigid undercarriage ride nicer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGmffctSwE

I pushed a lot of snow with that TL120 uphill and downhill. I'd take it any day over the RC60 for snow. It's 500 pounds lighter too.

juststartin
02-15-2011, 08:07 PM

This is probably about the best advise you can get.

I noticed some of his wording "pending maintenance contracts"? Does that mean you are basing your payment off of your maintenance contracts? In this economy, if you can't pay cash for this equipment you are setting yourself up for disaster. And don't give me this 0% finance bs... either you have the money or you don't.

I think you answered your own question on the asv undercarriage. If you want to spend 15k on replacing it 1500-2000hrs and can just justify that expenditure with performance and billable hours... do it! But I really doubt it will EVER pencil out!

juststartin
02-15-2011, 08:11 PM
The polar tracks are good....the guys who clear the Giant Foods complex up the street have them on their T190's.

I don't really care for the T190's....the ones I've owned/operated have had the nasty clunking sound in the front idler block...this morning I was running my friend's 2010 loading logs and firewood for several hours...100hrs on machine...sounded like it was coming apart.

McLaren's NextGen TDF's do even better in the snow than the CAT tracks...makes the rigid undercarriage ride nicer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGmffctSwE

I pushed a lot of snow with that TL120 uphill and downhill. I'd take it any day over the RC60 for snow. It's 500 pounds lighter too.

Well as much as the bobcat is hated on this forum... there undercarriage is actually much cheaper to replace than an ASV. Compare sprockets to squirrel cage spacers. Compare 20 bogies to 40 bogies. Even aftermarket tracks are much cheaper.

chris.outdoor
02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
This is probably about the best advise you can get.

I noticed some of his wording "pending maintenance contracts"? Does that mean you are basing your payment off of your maintenance contracts? In this economy, if you can't pay cash for this equipment you are setting yourself up for disaster. And don't give me this 0% finance bs... either you have the money or you don't.

I think you answered your own question on the asv undercarriage. If you want to spend 15k on replacing it 1500-2000hrs and can just justify that expenditure with performance and billable hours... do it! But I really doubt it will EVER pencil out!

I agree 100%. I am doing my homework before i pull ANY trigger. If i got the contracts i would be able to pay cash for the machine. if not then i am going to look in the 10k range. AGAIN pending the outcome will determine my choosing. Im not going to buy something i cant afford if work slows up. I have money saved and jobs lined up already but am not going to buy if i dont have the extra work. prettymuch i was just trying to figure out which UC i should go for if i buy fairly new and if anyone was running/ ownes these machines here. I just cant justify spending $2500 a month renting a machine when i can buy it, use it and rent it out.