PDA

View Full Version : Pickup or dump?

Legendary Landscaping
02-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Trying to decide between buying a dump (1 ton) w/ an aluminum bed or a 2500 hd pickup and put a dump insert in. Any constructive comments will be helpful.

elitelawnteam1
02-14-2011, 08:24 PM
a pickup truck would probably be best if hauling lighter materials, the dump insert is typically easy to take out if you need to put something in the back

a dump truck is good because you can attach a salt spreader to the back rather than buying a V box to store the salt.

those are just a few

Landrus2
02-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Go with the dump every time your truck is full you will be a happy man.

gene gls
02-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Go with a 1 ton dump. A dump insert weighs about half of your carring capicety on a pickup.

KS_Grasscutter
02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I would definitely go with the 1 ton. Esp. with the aluminum bed! Have a Scott aluminum bed on my F250 and love it. No rust or paint issues, ever! lol

ohiogreenworks
02-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Dump for sure, we use our dump daily, it will hold more then a insert also.

DaytonBioLawns
02-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Depends on what you want to do.... If you mow 90% of the time a pickup will be less costly and typically get better mileage. If you are doing installs and hauling all of the time then go ahead and get a dump.

I am trading up to dump trucks and keeping a couple old pickups for running maintenance trailers. It is a shame to pull a trailer with a few mowers with a dually.... if you can pass the costs off go ahead, but with things being so competitive I would recommend a low cost rig.

Take it from OGW^ he has a good setup. Two diesel dumps, and a SRW gasser to pull a mowing trailer.

I have a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and will be getting a dump here soon. If it were up to me I'd have SRW 3/4 ton reg. cabs a 1 ton dump and the rest would be class 4-6 diesel dump trucks.

We will be moving to 3/4 ton gassers because of the cost of owning a diesel now... but the rest we try to keep the same drive train.

Get a dump so you can pull a trailer with equipment and load leaves on the dump. It becomes a PITA if you get a dump trailer and have the equipment on the truck.

log cabin lawn care
02-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I would go with a dump I started with just pickups and found that the dump saved me time when it came to cleanup work. no more forking grass off just dump and go. I also found that I got more work in the slow time hauling dirt and other materials. you will be more happy with the dump.
my first dump was a 1985 chevy and I just purchased a 91 f450 to put my dump box on

EquityGreen
02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
I used a half ton the first year pulling an an 18 ft trailer, next year 01 ford f450 dump, it save us so much time and less trips to the dump. Pitchforking grass at the end of a long day is the last thing I wanted to do with my truck. Upgraded to a 07 chevy diesel 4*4 with 11k miles this year! So nice I love it, great plow and sanding truck next winter too!

Get the dump you'll be happy you did!!!

2011 is going to be a great year!
Posted via Mobile Device