PDA

View Full Version : Practical differences between a cat cr vs ccr

mxridernorth
02-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Alright know-it-alls, please enlighten me on the difference I would experience between operating a 2006 cat 304 or 305 cr vs the same in a ccr? I've got to move up the food chain a tad from the 27U in order to move hemispherical septic tank shells that weigh about 2500lbs. The spider doesn't work so great for carrying and moving at the same time :|

On a side note: the Takeuchi TL130 that I bugged you about for opinions, morphed into a TL140 (ad said TL130 but when I got there I thought, crap that TL130 is a large machine - until I noticed the TL140 sticker (it was night time)) . Got it for $9K! It's been great so far aside from one chaffed drive motor hose that I had to replace. A wee bit small for the dump trailer don't ya think?

stuvecorp
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
That TK looks sweet for $9,000. You need a TK TB153 instead of a Cat? :)

mxridernorth
02-15-2011, 02:31 AM
That TK looks sweet for $9,000. You need a TK TB153 instead of a Cat? :)
Baby steps :) Also looking at TB135 and TB145s but am also curious about the cats as there are a few around for decent prices. A 9000 pound machine would be perfect as I still do a lot of small and large residential work.

AWJ Services
02-15-2011, 07:28 AM
The CR machines are not good. The CCR machines have more breakout and stick force. The 304 CCR specs about the same as the 305CR. I demoed a 305 CR for a couple days and I hated it.

Junior M
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
The CR machines flat out suck..

ksss
02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
The CR machines are not good. The CCR machines have more breakout and stick force. The 304 CCR specs about the same as the 305CR. I demoed a 305 CR for a couple days and I hated it.

I have never heard much good about a nonCCR CAT mini ex. You will pay more but have more excavator to show for it. Check Iron Planet there are always lots of them going through. Although I would also go with the TB153FR.

mxridernorth
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll steer clear of the CR versions then. I'd like a 153FR however they are about 1000 lbs too heavy for what I want.

I'm trying to remain light enough that I can carry the machine on a 14K flat deck for the places where I need to drop the machine in tight places or when the tandem is not required. I really don't want to change the whole trailer setup at this time just to carry a heavier machine.

bobcat_ron
02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
CCR's are the upgrade from the old versions, I would check out Takeuchi and Deere/Hitachi, I've been on a 305CCR since June and I like the cab space and climate controls positions, but the seat hurt my manly bum and it's just a lot slower in the hydraulics with almost a "tight" feeling in the pilot controls. Get used to a Cat, then take a Takeuchi/Hitachi for a spin and you will literally feel the difference, both in power and pilot feel.

Oh and I would spin that Takeuchi around the other way in the box, you are actually taking weight off the truck, the trailer hitch should be level with that weight, and the Takeuchi's are heavy on the bums.

swanny
02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh and I would spin that Takeuchi around the other way in the box, you are actually taking weight off the truck, the trailer hitch should be level with that weight, and the Takeuchi's are heavy on the bums.

I thought he'd have some tail waggin' problems at higher speeds when I saw it, but turning it around would put too much tongue weight, and loading the machine backwards is a pain/danger on a dumper (visually).

I've ridden dumpers down the hill on a job site years ago when I was loading a skid (ramps didn't find support on the ground)...picked up the back of the pickup (emergency brake on) enough to go for a wild ride. Truck ended up partially in the roadway. Not good.

BTW: nice find for the money!

ParkWelding
02-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Great Find. Just what I have been looking for.

mxridernorth
02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys.

You all have keen eyes though. Yes the machine is too far backward! I had to unload and reload the machine at the border after pressure washing it and didn't move it forward enough afterward. On the way to the border I was driving through, what can only be descibed as monsoon like rains. The trailer started swaying at one point and it freaked my buddy out. I didn't let him see the terror that I felt inside in order to calm him down. What sway? Oh that sway. Pff that's totally normal.

Had I known that the machine was a 140 instead of a 130, I would have brought another trailer. That was 14K+lbs of death being pulled down the highway. What I should have done is just leave the bucket up more (as it didn't fit anyway due to the side cutting edges) and move it all a bit more forward. But as what usually makes for accidents, I was in a hurry to make the last ferry for the evening.

Lesson learned and the trailer is now sold as there was no way I was going through that twice. I rarely use the dump part of it anyway.

AWJ Services
02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
The Tak TB145 is a really good machine in then 10k weight range. It is not a reduced tail swing but other than that it is a really powerful machine.

stuvecorp
02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
The TK 153 is a touch heavy but I wouldn't want to give up any of the performance and the swing boom is so awesome. I also would never give up the zero tailspin.

flairland
02-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Thats a heck of a deal for 9k. How many hours does it have? Your trucks rear end must have been sky high when loading that machine. I had the same trailer and my truck would be in the air just loading my Deere 27C.

mxridernorth
02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I've ridden dumpers down the hill on a job site years ago when I was loading a skid (ramps didn't find support on the ground)...picked up the back of the pickup (emergency brake on) enough to go for a wild ride. Truck ended up partially in the roadway. Not good.

I forgot to mention that I too have done the downhill slide. Once with my 27U I was too lazy to shuffle the machine sideways in order to be able to swing around and descend with the bucket downward. I only used a 2x4 to block the wheels and she climbed over that and started sliding down the road in front of my place. I've never wanted the machine to move faster in my life! It couldn't have ended better though as just as I was getting off the ramps the truck ended up sideways in the remnants of a pile of dirt that I had in the ditch. Backed right out without even using 4x4. Another lesson learned.

Thats a heck of a deal for 9k. How many hours does it have? Your trucks rear end must have been sky high when loading that machine. I had the same trailer and my truck would be in the air just loading my Deere 27C.

The deal was pretty good! Though I must admit I was a little suspicious when I heard that I had to meet the guy down by the slough in Everette under a street light ;). He had the original documentation so it somewhat allayed my fears that the machine wasn't stolen.

As far as the dump trailer lifting the truck, it really lifts up the back wheels of the truck with the Tak. About 2' off the ground! I don't know why it is that all the dump trailers don't come with drop legs in the back? I always meant to put some on mine but just never got around to it.