PDA

View Full Version : Demo question

mrusk
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I am bidding my first house demo question. I talked to some people and have a idea on container number. I just wanted to see what you guys feel an average 30 yard container weighs from a house demo.

And is demoing a house with my pc150 with no thumb going to be hard or will I be able to manage?

Thanks

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
how are you going to do it w/o a thumb? at the least get a mechanical unit, dont think id ever do a demo w/o a thumb.

jimmyjack
02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
ive been on jobs when demoing with a backhoe or excavator w/o a thumb , it can be done , u can expect it to take longer cause you'll need to smash stuff smaller so u can pick it up with out it wanting to fall out of the bucket

Danny Boy
02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
All the european guys do it with out thumbs, but I agree it will be many times faster with one...

wellbuilt
02-16-2011, 12:42 AM
I would try to get a thumb .
With out the thumb you wind up loading a lot of dirt and concrete that costs you when dumped as construction debris and it will take you twice a
long.
Concrete should go in concrete containers .
30 yard boxes could weight up to 18000lbs but most of them will be around 12/13 ,000lbs.
Loading with a machine your boxes will be heavy because you can pack the debris in tight .
We would get 80/90 cans a year and every one would get a over charge and they where mostly loaded by hand .
I think we would get a 30yard box for $650 and we could load 4.5 t if i remember correctly . Its been a few years since Ive used dumpsters.
John

Shadetree Ltd
02-16-2011, 12:46 AM
22 yard cans with construction debris loaded by hand weigh in between 2-3 tons on average, last 30 or so all have fallen in that range. All drywall, concrete and soil/rock are seperated and recycled properly.

MattnSTL
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I have loaded two 40 yard roll-offs and two 30 yard roll-offs for my own personal house with demo debris in the last year. My high was 17 tons on a 40 yard loaded with a bobcat, and my low was 5.5 tons in a 30 yard loaded by hand, The heavier dumpsters had a lot of plaster, the lighter loads were mostly 140 year old lumber. The heaviest load cost me about $900 to dump, the lightest was about $375. Prices are pretty cheap around here.

So, what does that actually tell you? Your weight will vary wildly depending on the material, and it's always heavier than you think. Using a machine to load will definitely efficiently pack the roll-offs, but be careful not to over do it. We did a concrete load over the summer at work, and the first guy that came out couldn't get it on his truck (I don't even think he tried). The second guy did, but we were almost unloading some weight to get rid of it.