PDA

View Full Version : Burnning off bermuda/zoyzia lawns:HELP

XLS
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Today we started scalping off our bermuda/zoyzia lawns and after giving a bill out a lady said " thats ok and paid with a smile ,but then tells me a guy came by last week and said he would BURN its off for a little less. She didnt want to smell smoke........ What is the benifits of doing it exactly? does any real LCO do this and why so or not ? Thanks

ReddensLawnCare
02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
I know this doesnt answer your question but I dont really do much maintenance with Bermuda or zoysia...so why do you scalp it? I normally get paid to kill it off and overseed b/c my customers typically hate it

Think Green
02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
XLS,
I can't understand why a LCO would offer to burn off dead grass for a customer. The possibility of wind shear and throwing fire at the home or even burning desirable ornamentals and trees is unavoidable. The other thing i look at is the time needed to oversee a burning fire. Burn bans and smoke bother often will cause trouble in some areas.
As far as the reason is concerned, burning is done to remove current weeds and seeds that are growing in the dormant turf. The other is for the replacement of natural Potassium. Burning of thatch and dead stems is all the big hoopla. I would not advise the burning of Zoysia lawns because of their slow recovery time. The only lawns that I see burned here are bermuda. Bermuda is quicker to recover and restart. The only thing that I frown upon is after burning is done weeds have a clear shot of growing where dead shaded shoots used to be. If you uncover the canopy of grass and expose the soil, then you will need to apply preemerge anyway. I have seen burning performed way too early in the season; before green up starts and the weed get out of control.

ReddensLawnCare
02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
When I was much younger and I lived in Pensacola, FL...people would burn their yards because of mole crickets...i have no idea if they still do that...it was 11 years ago.

Think Green
02-17-2011, 08:15 PM
I would hope that burning has its benefits of insect control as long as the eggs are still on the surface or near the thatch-ground line. Most times, the burning is so quick that 60% of the surface area is charred and not all of the thatch is removed. Makes for a heckofa mess to the equipment with ash.

XLS
02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Think green Thanks , we short cut and dethatch those type lawns all the time this was the first time of hearing about burning at all . I felt the same way about the weeds after burning . I thought i was missing something was all .
Reddens besides the benificial part of short cutting and de-thatching we do it to promote new growth after the fert is put down . we keep the bermuda green year round and its tall all winter so we cut it back to start it over basicly. 4.5'' is a bit tall fo r spring growth.

ReddensLawnCare
02-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Im assuming you are in the Fayetville, TN area correct? How are you keeping that bermuda green all year. My grandmother lives there and hers is dormant with the cold temps.

Think Green
02-19-2011, 11:52 AM
He must be closer to the Alabama border to keep bermuda green year around.
I am in the dormant transition area of the delta and nothing is green all year except for evergreen's. Fescue, Bluegrass is all that remotely stays green. Once the cold spells hit, ryegrass will fade out and burn. It comes back when the temps warm back up.

XLS,
The farming communities attributed the usage of burning crops, and lawns. It was the older thing to do before spring green up and before acreage was tilled. There are intentional reasons as for weed seed control, insect control and the addition of potassium. My ancestors did this way back when the lawns were too much work covered with leaves,etc. It was easier to make small piles, burn the lawn and leaves.
In todays world, burning isn't practical in residential and commercial areas. No doubt, you will encounter someone from the old school way of living, but they need to be realistic in todays codes of ordinances. If the customer lives in the country, then they can do what they want......................otherwise, to burn a lawn takes much more time and needs to be monitored safely and efficiently. Since I live out of the city in the county, streak fires are a bad problem. This technique is way too risky and problematic for your insurance and the customers home.

XLS
02-20-2011, 06:50 PM
i am located just 5 miles north of the alabama line just west of the pulaski area . we in cut about 90% of the state area and i like the fescues myself ..... we fertilize bi-monthly and its part of our business plan . It makes it an easy sale on our services when you can guarentee a green lawn year round . it takes alot of work dont get me wrong.

ReddensLawnCare
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
wow...24 apps a year...Can you send me your program via PM..if you dont mind..are the other bermuda lawns in that area brown right now

XLS
02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
yeah most are done for till spring , there is a few chemlawn accounts that are greenish but not many . as for our program its the same as everyone elses soil sample add or take away x amount of material per 1k divided out by the number of applications a year. we do pre-emerge, select weed control , iron , and insect control . but its on a small scale compaired to most the guys on here.