PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a section of concrete floor

AEL
02-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey guys, I have a contract with a large automotive parts, and service chain across canada to excavate contaminated materials, remove automotive hoist components, backfill and install concrete floor where the old inground hoists were.

Well long story short i had a few of my guys to do the concrete and cleanup last week, and sure enough i get a phone call today saying they are not happy with the concrete. I arrive on site as soon as i can to see that the concrete has a high spot in one area of about 3/4 of an inch and the finish on it is not as nice as it should be.

My idea to fix this without having to rip up the slab is to some how break the slab about an inch deeper then the existing floor, and repour the new concrete. The area is about 4x10. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

ARP
02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
What do you think about taking a walk behind chop saw where you can set the depth, and cut 1" deep lines in a very tight bar pattern across the affected area (tight as in 1" apart, make it look like very tight rumble strips you see on the highway). Then take a chisel and sledge and go to town chipping out each bar. It would be a lot of hand work, but it should save you from ripping the floor up completely.

treemover
02-15-2011, 09:53 PM
No bigger than the area I would say rip it up. They make concrete rotory sanders with diamond discs. Then you would have to polish is out.

Boss Exc.
02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, I have a contract with a large automotive parts, and service chain across canada to excavate contaminated materials, remove automotive hoist components, backfill and install concrete floor where the old inground hoists were.

Well long story short i had a few of my guys to do the concrete and cleanup last week, and sure enough i get a phone call today saying they are not happy with the concrete. I arrive on site as soon as i can to see that the concrete has a high spot in one area of about 3/4 of an inch and the finish on it is not as nice as it should be.

My idea to fix this without having to rip up the slab is to some how break the slab about an inch deeper then the existing floor, and repour the new concrete. The area is about 4x10. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

4x10?Rip it up and start over.

They can't all go perfectly.Ask me how I know...

AEL
02-15-2011, 10:18 PM
i forgot to mention the floor is apprx 9" thick . (as specd by engineer) Quite a bit to remove and repour.

bobcat_ron
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
4x10 and only 9" thick, dude that would take me literally 15 minutes to break with a rental Cat hammer on my skid steer.
Get a gas powed diamond saw on wheels and cut right through and rent a hammer.
Then yank out the concrete and drill and dowel with some epoxy, use a concrete bonding agent on the surfaces, repour and use a brush to feather the edges.
Nothing to it.

AEL
02-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Appreciate the help guys. I understand what is needed to be done to remove the concrete ( i had to remove it in the first place to remove the hoist cylinder) i obviously wanted to save some coin and do it without removing all the concrete again, and incuring further cost.

Thanks

Danny Boy
02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
I would rip it up too, gotta make the right impression with the client especially as its an ongoing contract. And it sounds like your concrete contractor should absorb the expense or at least share it?

AWJ Services
02-16-2011, 07:42 AM
If you can locate the correct concrete sander as treemover suggested it really does a great job. It is a little time consuming but they do work well.

http://www.levetec.com/grinders.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0vYNPs8Ao

SVA_Concrete
02-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Depending on the floor tolerances you may be able to use a floor plane (edco makes one) to remove the material, and then hit it with a floor grinder.

all in all it will be more expensive than Replacing 1.5 yards of concrete.

RedRebel
02-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Diamond grinder and a couple hours..:drinkup:

AEL
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I ended up removing the top 3 inches with my floor saw and cango, soaked the pad with water for a few hours, applied concrete bond, mixed up 16 bags of concrete poured and finished. Customer was extremely satisfied with the finished product. Pictures to come.
Posted via Mobile Device