PDA

View Full Version : Round up License

tjlco
02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Having the limited license, we are required to put a sign in yard or shrub bed describing what we sprayed. That being said, where the heck do you get these signs? I looked at blackburn & rnd, but the minimum to order is 1,000. It would take me 10 years to use that many as I only service 250 or so clients a week, with about 30 getting weed control in beds. I was thinking more like 100 signs would do me good for a while, and some of them are reusable. Anyone know where to get less than 1,000? And personalized?

Landscape Poet
02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Having the limited license, we are required to put a sign in yard or shrub bed describing what we sprayed. That being said, where the heck do you get these signs? I looked at blackburn & rnd, but the minimum to order is 1,000. It would take me 10 years to use that many as I only service 250 or so clients a week, with about 30 getting weed control in beds. I was thinking more like 100 signs would do me good for a while, and some of them are reusable. Anyone know where to get less than 1,000? And personalized?

I have never seen anyone using their limited actually use a sign. Just as the law says that you must contact the persona and inform them that you are applying prior to doing so and you do not see TG or them calling the customer. However if you feel the need, a simple google search will bring many results.

http://www.pgcscientifics.com/FLORIDA-FORMAT-LAWN-CARE-SIGN-PESTICIDE-APPLICATI-p/fl4x5pk.htm

fl-landscapes
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
you dont ever need to put on a sign what chemical you sprayed. The sign simply says something along the lines of "pesticide applied" and a re entry time like "stay off until dry"

TYCINC
02-16-2011, 08:26 AM
and log what you sprayed and where you sprayed it.

fl-landscapes
02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
and log what you sprayed and where you sprayed it.

yup, want to be prepared for your inspection and chemical audit. But for a limited lis. you will likely never need any of this.

RigglePLC
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Lesco/Jdl has generic "Pesticide applied, keep off till dry" signs. You can buy in small quantities. Add special notes by hand if needed. Or use a rubber stamp for small quantities. Signs are required in Michigan. But customers seldom pay them any attention. Spray solution dries in 10 minutes.

http://lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=768

Tri-City Outdoors
02-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Going down on march 1st for the class and test wish me luck. I just inquired on the class found they are having one in DeLand on the 1st. So I ordered the study info. today!

For Specific Posting Requirements see:

http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/files/pdf/PostingOfLawnAndOrnamental.pdf

or ( click on "Posting of Lawn and Ornamental Pesticide Applications ")

http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/pesticide_licenses/limited_commercial_maintenance.shtml

I was just planning on using our graphic guy. Have him make them up just like a bandit yard sign but smaller. Wont be using them all day everyday. So I figure this will work. Ill use them adhere to rules and advertise

Tri-City Outdoors
02-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I ordered the study info yesterday and got them today! WOW Books are fairly think. Any advise on which topics to focus on. (test questions). Plan on leaning it all before the class. Dont want to pay $150 and fail!

fl-landscapes
02-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I ordered the study info yesterday and got them today! WOW Books are fairly think. Any advise on which topics to focus on. (test questions). Plan on leaning it all before the class. Dont want to pay $150 and fail!

If you fail I will refund your money, it is an open book test and probably the easiest exam on the planet. Anyone who fails this test shouldnt be spraying suntan lotion never mind herbicides.

Patriot Services
02-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Read a Round up label and you will pass. The books are great info but you won't use them in class.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
If you fail I will refund your money, it is an open book test and probably the easiest exam on the planet. Anyone who fails this test shouldnt be spraying suntan lotion never mind herbicides.

I am not sure if this has changed but when I took mine it was not open book. I will go with patriots answer though too. If you can read a label you pass. You have something like 3 hours to complete.....you should be out in about 15-20 minutes.

Pay attention to the class - they will spoon feed you every question on the text and the answers.

Tri-City Outdoors
02-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Good that is a relief!

Now that I looked over it appears that I got it all. The spray & calibration book on has a page or 2 for the round up cert. Plus two more books. It's looks like I only really need part of the one book and the other 2 pages. O'well it looks like I got what I need to further my education in the future.

Patriot Services
02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
When I showed up they handed me a syllabus. You can dowmload the BMP book too for that class.
Posted via Mobile Device

djchiodo3
02-18-2011, 06:42 PM

I agree. The test is so easy you wonder why we need to have a license in the first place. Any home owner can go out and spray without a lic. What is the difference if we do the same on their property. I think any caution labeled chemicals should be applied with out a license. I hear of more lawn guys being killed on a mower roll-over or some kind of accident then by poisoning them selves or a client. Maybe they will require lawn mower operators to get a license to cut grass one day too.

zturncutter
02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
"Maybe they will require lawn mower operators to get a license to cut grass one day too."

Please don't give them any ideas!!!

cps
02-19-2011, 12:06 AM
"Maybe they will require lawn mower operators to get a license to cut grass one day too."

Please don't give them any ideas!!!

I WISH they would! Along with go around an check for licenses and make sure people have proper insurance and a tax cert.

I understand that this would cost each of us a little extra but it would get rid of some of the wannabes and low ballers. In my town every guy that's been laid off that owns a truck and a push mower things they have a Lawn Care Company :laugh:

South Florida Lawns
02-19-2011, 01:14 AM
These guys ship fast too! http://www.gemplers.com/product/45RSPK/GEMPLERS-Wisconsin-Lawn-Pesticide-Application-Signs-25-pk

Aww sheet I didn't renew my roundup license this year, I'll take my chances!

Landscape Poet
02-19-2011, 08:15 AM
I agree. The test is so easy you wonder why we need to have a license in the first place.

Revenue source

tallrick
02-19-2011, 12:33 PM
As mentioned before licenses are to limit competition and generate revenue. Those that have them are fiercely protective of them and those that do not either have to join the fraternity or work under the table.

fl-landscapes
02-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I am not sure if this has changed but when I took mine it was not open book. I will go with patriots answer though too. If you can read a label you pass. You have something like 3 hours to complete.....you should be out in about 15-20 minutes.

Pay attention to the class - they will spoon feed you every question on the text and the answers.

if its closed book, that is a change since I took it

Ric
02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Personal Disclaimer:The Law is the Law and I do not make the laws. I only try to learn the laws so I can operate within those laws and their LOOP HOLES. If you apply illegally with out a license, you are in fact stealing work from all those who Paid their dues and have a License.

Under Chapter 482 of Florida Statues you must post a sign of any Pesticide application either at the site of a spot application or at the Main Entrance to the property. The standard sign should also include the Name of the Company, their Phone Number and Date of application. I have seen those signs stay in a yard for months, especially in the winter when very little mowing is done.

AS for test, At one time I was a CEU provider and taught that class back when it was 8 hours long. Bottom line is it is a Compromise license that was started to keep people legal to spray Roundup. The test is geared for County Employees to pass as well as every other fools. Anyone who fails that test shouldn't be spraying and should get in line for the Darwin Awards. It is the same as being Licensed it Corn Crib Iowa. You don't have to know any thing.

Tri-City Outdoors
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
I despise J.A. who don't do stuff legally. It is one thing to be ignorant but law is law rules are rules. Stuff comes back to you. Had some one want to kill dollar weed in their bed today. Told them to wait till next month or go to Lowes.
Mean while at the house for sale next door:
A little red car pull up. Guy gets out dressed like he is working. Opens the trunk pulls out a camera, bucket, & a weed whacker. Uses the bucket to hold the camera like a tripod. Sets the camera and poses with the weed whacker for the camera. He dose this several times and leaves.
We wanted to give him some two cents, but remained professional. We are still thinking about calling the bank or Realtor. We do those type of jobs. We feel it is a slap in the face! When we actually do the work and not just smile for the camera.

tallrick
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I despise J.A. who don't do stuff legally. It is one thing to be ignorant but law is law rules are rules. Stuff comes back to you. Had some one want to kill dollar weed in their bed today. Told them to wait till next month or go to Lowes.
Mean while at the house for sale next door:
A little red car pull up. Guy gets out dressed like he is working. Opens the trunk pulls out a camera, bucket, & a weed whacker. Uses the bucket to hold the camera like a tripod. Sets the camera and poses with the weed whacker for the camera. He dose this several times and leaves.
We wanted to give him some two cents, but remained professional. We are still thinking about calling the bank or Realtor. We do those type of jobs. We feel it is a slap in the face! When we actually do the work and not just smile for the camera.

I saw this a month ago and could not figure out what the guy was doing. Someone had a string trimmer and a camera placed on his truck, he never started the thing and just posed for pictures. Meanwhile I was trying to remove a brazillian pepper tree for a tenant. You mean they take pictures of themselves instead of the finished work and the investors are dumb enough to believe it? If so I think they deserve to be had. There is an abandoned home next to another of my properties that has two foot tall dry grass and has been used as a drug house. I can only hope someone throws a cigarette in that grass and takes care of the problem.

Johnagain
03-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Tri-City
Sent you a PM

Patriot Services
03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I see the foreclosure scrubs do this all the time. Tear through the yard, no edge, trim , blow, mulch 2 months of newspapers. Take pictures and collect 10.00 from the bank. Great way to run a business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tri-City Outdoors
03-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Had a property preservation co. call us yesterday. Now we have done these jobs before with out any real issues (mowing and fix ups). But, We felt like someone was playing a joke. Ended up telling them to call some else!
Them:
" We need photo's of the street sign, House Numbers, 20 before, 10 during & 20 after"
Us:
Chuckle, "Sooooo you need 52 pics per job? Are u paying extra for all the pics?"
Them:
"Well as for payment. If the property is 15k sqft or less. It is $20 for grass under 1' tall. $25 if it over 1' tall & $30 if it is over 3' tall.
Us:
"We are not aware of "grass" that grows 3ft tall. Also we wont even mow grass a foot tall."
Sadly they were serious and it was not a joke!

BTW took the class & test today! feel good about the test. Waiting for results! Will post when we know!