PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with this holly?!?

twowheelted
02-16-2011, 12:04 AM
This Holly looked WAY better when I last visited the property 6 months ago. I believe it was planted a few years ago. Anybody have any ideas?

The previous maintenance company ran the drip irrigation 3-4 times a week for short periods of time. There was a large butterfly bush that fell over nearby. It seemed to have very little root structure and I wonder if it's because there was an emitter at the very base of the plant.

I wonder if this watering pattern created problems for the holly as well and perhaps it got too big up top and not underneath to withstand another winter.
Or maybe you see something else?

Thanks

dKoester
02-16-2011, 12:45 AM
1)When planted the root ball might not have been loosened properly.
2)Way to much water for the soil and roots leading to anaerobic soil which will make a plant die like this.
3)It might have been hit by some pesticide(I don't know if it did or didn't)
4)Improper disinfectant cleaning of trimmers can cause disease spread in several types of shrubs and bushes.
5)Check for signs of damage caused by critters.(Missing bark or holes in the wood or ground etc.)
This is where I would start.

grassman177
02-16-2011, 02:31 AM
as above, start at the base always first unless otherwise very obvious

FLCthes4:11-12
02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
I would say that it is winter burn from the extreme cold that we have had. Also dig a small narrow but deep hole beside the rootball to see if it is sitting in water.

White Gardens
02-16-2011, 08:49 AM
x3 on the water.

We've seen the same thing with Holly's around here the last couple of years when we had some really wet summers and winters.

The local extension office was calling it "evergreen decline" (other evergreens were affected) and any Holly I pulled that was dead had wet feet.

Landrus2
02-16-2011, 08:52 AM
1)When planted the root ball might not have been loosened properly.
2)Way to much water for the soil and roots leading to anaerobic soil which will make a plant die like this.
3)It might have been hit by some pesticide(I don't know if it did or didn't)
4)Improper disinfectant cleaning of trimmers can cause disease spread in several types of shrubs and bushes.
5)Check for signs of damage caused by critters.(Missing bark or holes in the wood or ground etc.)
This is where I would start.

All he needs it to flow this advise.

Plantculture
02-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Make sure its not planted too deep. 1st scaffolding root should be at or just above the soil surface.

PremierT&L
02-16-2011, 11:45 PM
looks like wet feet...

Think Green
02-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Twowheelted,

I had some nice looking hollies back in August also, but consider that hollies are notorious shallow rooted shrubs and are susceptible to harsh conditions. Irrigation will lead to surface rooting but I don't think that this is killing this holly. I have removed around 5 thus far this month from winter injury and freezing, blistering windy temperatures followed by ice and snow.
The fore mentioned possibilities above are good sound things that will cause decline and death to many types of plants, however, this classical leaf blistering-browning and curling leaf pattern is symptoms of a unusual temperature cycle for your area. This has been a bad season----for the whole united states. Everyone needs to get ready to do some replanting and a lot of extractions this Spring and Summer.

Southern Elegance
02-17-2011, 09:23 PM
just a little shock, fertilize in the spring and it will be fine. Some iron and holly tone would be a good idea too

phasthound
02-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Winter "burn" is my first choice. Just one day of cold harsh wind will desiccate the leaves and cause symptoms like this in our area. Typically, all "burned" leaves will drop off and new growth will emerge beyond that point. Holly's can be severely pruned hard to promote new growth in the spring, it's called "hat racking". http://blogs.scottarboretum.org/gardenseeds/2008/04/hat-racking-hollies/

MarkintheGarden
02-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I agree that it looks like too much water!
If you do fertilize this spring, do use a high ph product like hollytone, but go very light, cause stressed plants are sensitive and a heavy fertilizing can be more stress.
Clean up the fallen leaves beneath the plant, and as spring turns to summer, keep watching for deadwood and remove as needed.

I have dealt with a lot of stressed out hollies and this one looks like one that can be saved.
I suggest that you use a product called Superthrive, it has worked well for me in these situations.

andyslawncare
03-10-2011, 01:21 AM
drip is suppose to be ran less frequent than what you mentioned and for long time frames. There could be some root rot if its been really wet in your area, which it probably has been wet as it has been here for the past year.

twowheelted
04-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Well...I lightly trimmed the holly and a few weeks later does not seem to be coming back. The one next to it seems fine as far as I can tell. Small amount of damage but seems normal to me? I haven't pulled the tree yet but I likely will soon. Still seem like winter burn or wet feet?

Thanks!

Southern Elegance
04-01-2011, 05:53 AM
b patient. its not gonna flush out over night. give it a few weeks of warm weather to see what happens. and superthrieve is a must