PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain why no one is from Ca?

tlc1994
02-16-2011, 12:39 AM
I joined this site a few months ago and have only seen about 2 other people from California! Can anyone explain this? Grass grows here, too! I've seen it!

White Gardens
02-16-2011, 07:54 AM
The CA guys already know everything and are better than the rest of the country. :laugh:

Just kiddin. :waving:

Landrus2
02-16-2011, 07:58 AM
They just haven’t discover it yet

capelawncare.com
02-16-2011, 08:02 AM
It isnt in Spanish????

Florida Gardener
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Very interesting point. I was out there 2 weeks ago for 10 days on vacation(loved it and will def. Be moving there within the next 5-6 years). I noticed practically no companies out there. So Cal I saw only valleycrest in LA, none in san Diego, and some in No Cal. seems promising for someone who wants to start up a business out there. We are flooded with them here in Florida.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-17-2011, 11:04 AM
The CA guys already know everything and are better than the rest of the country. :laugh:

Just kiddin. :waving:

I thought that honor was given to TX and FL?

Florida Gardener
02-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Kiril what part of cal are you in??
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
02-17-2011, 01:47 PM
No spanish. .....

Kiril
02-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Kiril what part of cal are you in??

The only part that matters. :laugh:

Florida Gardener
02-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Which is.....
Posted via Mobile Device

tlc1994
02-17-2011, 06:58 PM
We aren`t better, just better off. And there are people that speak english here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Which is.....

the place opposite of the place that doesn't matter. :laugh:

Florida Gardener
02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Is there a reason your not telling me???
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Is there a reason your not telling me???
Posted via Mobile Device

The reason is in the question.

Florida Gardener
02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Wow, I'm glad you can act like an adult.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Wow, I'm glad you can act like an adult.

I live in CA, why does it matter what part?

tlc1994
02-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I live in CA, why does it matter what part?

The sunny part. :laugh:

(Except for this weekend)

Florida Gardener
02-18-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm just asking a question, if you don't want to answer fine, but don't act like a jerk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-18-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm just asking a question, if you don't want to answer fine, but don't act like a jerk.

If I were acting like a jerk I would have said none of your f'n business .....

Florida Gardener
02-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Oh I see, this is you joking around then?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Oh I see, this is you joking around then?

yes :laugh:

Florida Gardener
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Gotchya, so, what part of California are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Gotchya, so, what part of California are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device

Central Valley

Florida Gardener
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh ok, is that close to LA?? I want to move to Santa Monica in the next 5 years. In your opinion, is there a lot of oportunities in the landscape business there?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Oh ok, is that close to LA?? I want to move to Santa Monica in the next 5 years. In your opinion, is there a lot of oportunities in the landscape business there?

No, not close to LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Valley_%28California%29

I don't know anything about the LA area other than hoping it will slide off into the ocean some time soon. That said, mow & blow outfits are a dime a dozen out here, and I would think that applies anywhere in the state for the most part.

tlc1994
02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
What types of grass do you deal with in Central Valley? I'm east of Orange County and deal mostly with just Bermuda and Fescue.

GroundsGuy
02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm in Orange County - an hour south of Santa Monica, depending on LAX traffic. I would think that the Santa Monica market for landscaping is pretty saturated. Mow, Blow, and Go guys are dirt cheap, and installations are few because of the poor economy. Getting on with larger companies would be a good start - they're always looking for good, experienced people. You'd need to make your experience in Florida seem relevant. Bilingual would be helpful. Contact Valleycrest before your move. Let them know what you're interested in. They may appreciate you being proactive and forward thinking. Good Luck.

knox gsl
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Stay where you're at and enjoy your business as it grows, CA is more saturated than FL with landscape workers.
Posted via Mobile Device

zechstoker
02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
I live in Modesto, California... Everyone seems to want to be a lawn jock here, but very few actually seem to know what they're doing. Bunch of fly-by-nighters. I know of quite a few "big" companies, but all I ever see them doing is commercial properties.

gusbuster
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
No, not close to LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Valley_%28California%29

I don't know anything about the LA area other than hoping it will slide off into the ocean some time soon. That said, mow & blow outfits are a dime a dozen out here, and I would think that applies anywhere in the state for the most part.

Naw....if we got really lucky they would just gas themselves to death......Have you ever flown down there and see what you think is fog? Then realize that no, its not fog but smog.

Stay where you're at and enjoy your business as it grows, CA is more saturated than FL with landscape workers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I see the same thing happening in Chattanooga. By my apartment over there, I see 5 different companies working the mini-malls, n mind you doing half way work. Lets face it, any idiot with a mower can call themselves a gardener. It takes knowledge and skill to call yourself a landscape management company.

I live in Modesto, California... Everyone seems to want to be a lawn jock here, but very few actually seem to know what they're doing. Bunch of fly-by-nighters. I know of quite a few "big" companies, but all I ever see them doing is commercial properties.

Hey neighbor! Live just 10 minutes north of you but my company is out of S.F. Peninsula.

Most of the guys that I see doing the smaller commercial areas are individuals or the m.b-n-g. type of guys. But what I have seen, most of the bigger commercial places are done by either Valleycrest (they've bought out everybody) or forgot the company name, out of the Sacramento area. Don't see how they do it, but maybe they are operating satilite locations. There is 1 guy out of Stockton area that I see his crews quite a bit but as always, with many of the commercials, they don't want to pay for quality and no loyalty anymore like it was when dad started the company. It still is the "good ol boy" network though if the property mgmt company still exist. I have met a few guys while at J.D.L in Modesto and Stockton. They always say the same thing about how this trade is more about a nickle instead of the dime.

John

zechstoker
02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Seriously... Makes it hard to actually make a profit around here. I know for us, we'd be above our neck in debt if it weren't for our pest control department. I know we need more lawn accounts too (hoping to expand on that this spring), but it's just crazy what we have to compete with, and not do ourselves in in the mean time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-04-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm in Orange County - an hour south of Santa Monica, depending on LAX traffic. I would think that the Santa Monica market for landscaping is pretty saturated. Mow, Blow, and Go guys are dirt cheap, and installations are few because of the poor economy. Getting on with larger companies would be a good start - they're always looking for good, experienced people. You'd need to make your experience in Florida seem relevant. Bilingual would be helpful. Contact Valleycrest before your move. Let them know what you're interested in. They may appreciate you being proactive and forward thinking. Good Luck.
I actually meant to say San Diego. I visited Santa Monica and while it was beautiful, I would never want to live close to LA. Plus it seemed like there are no opportunities in landscape while San Diego seems to be a great place. Trust me, we have tons and tons of companies here too. Most of them, legal and illegal, are lowballers. I just hate the Florida summers, they are too hot and humid. San Diego is perfect. How is biz in the OC?
Posted via Mobile Device

tlc1994
03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I`m sure that Florida isn`t that different to over here in terms of business. It`s just one of those myths that the grass is greener on the other side: business is still saturated and the profit margin isn`t great, that is unless you score some very generous clients in La Jolla or Lauguna. On the contrary, the suburbs east of san diego have such bad forclosure rates you can get a pretty decent home for a good price. And yes, the weather is definitively better than anywhere else.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I`m sure that Florida isn`t that different to over here in terms of business. It`s just one of those myths that the grass is greener on the other side: business is still saturated and the profit margin isn`t great, that is unless you score some very generous clients in La Jolla or Lauguna. On the contrary, the suburbs east of san diego have such bad forclosure rates you can get a pretty decent home for a good price. And yes, the weather is definitively better than anywhere else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Location, location, location. If you were to compare the SE coast of Florida to any other area in Florida, it is night and day. There is so much wealth on the east coast it's not even funny. I'm not talking rich, I'm talking actual wealth. It is not hard to build a solid business around clients like that. There is money in coastal San Diego as well, I saw it myself. If you try and build a biz around customers who can't afford the service vs ones who def can, it is two different stories. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device

orlawncaresvc
03-17-2012, 01:31 AM
I joined this site a few months ago and have only seen about 2 other people from California! Can anyone explain this? Grass grows here, too! I've seen it!

What do you mean? From Fresno Ca. here.

Fine Gardens Landscaping
03-17-2012, 09:08 PM
San Diego has about the best weather in the country. I certainly wouldn't be looking to move to California to start any sort of business however. There's a reason a lot of businesses are leaving this state for more business friendly states like Texas. The only reason I have not moved is because I like living near my family. If you are coming to CA, remember that we are a very unfriendly business state, and it's tough to afford to buy a home here in comparison with other parts of the country. Plus you pay property taxes on the full value of your expensive California house if you can even afford one in the first place.

Florida Gardener
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
San Diego has about the best weather in the country. I certainly wouldn't be looking to move to California to start any sort of business however. There's a reason a lot of businesses are leaving this state for more business friendly states like Texas. The only reason I have not moved is because I like living near my family. If you are coming to CA, remember that we are a very unfriendly business state, and it's tough to afford to buy a home here in comparison with other parts of the country. Plus you pay property taxes on the full value of your expensive California house if you can even afford one in the first place.
What is your customer base? High-end, middle of the road? Commercial?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fine Gardens Landscaping
03-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Mostly middle of the road, some high-end, some commercial. I live in the SF Bay Area btw so I don't really have a pulse on the San Diego/ Los Angeles market all though I'd be willing to bet that there's a decent amount of low balling competition down there just like there is up here and most everywhere else in the landscape maintenance biz.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
03-31-2012, 12:33 AM
tlc 1994....
I also live in Fresno, Ca located in the Central Valley. We have several large commercial companies here and tons of wanabe's. Hard to compete with Mr. Lee that will do a job for $ 12.00. At least my wife and I can provide license and insurance proof when required. Happy mowing!!!!

orlawncaresvc
04-03-2012, 03:02 AM
tlc 1994....
I also live in Fresno, Ca located in the Central Valley. We have several large commercial companies here and tons of wanabe's. Hard to compete with Mr. Lee that will do a job for $ 12.00. At least my wife and I can provide license and insurance proof when required. Happy mowing!!!!
Finally someone from Fresno on here too. We too have seen and got those oriental
gardner flyers on some of our customers properties. Have you post any pictures on the picture thread?
Posted via Mobile Device

gusbuster
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Finally someone from Fresno on here too. We too have seen and got those oriental
gardner flyers on some of our customers properties. Have you post any pictures on the picture thread?
Posted via Mobile Device

Is that where Mr Lee moved to?

I need to find a flyer in a plastic bag and 1 rock see if its the same guy who will do lawn, sprinkler ect.....

orlawncaresvc
04-03-2012, 08:48 PM
We aren`t better, just better off. And there are people that speak english here.
Posted via Mobile Device

tlc? Where you from? Fresno?
Posted via Mobile Device

RELIABLELAWNMAN
04-03-2012, 11:36 PM
$ 1000.00 fine in California for littering. I wonder!!!!
I think all of the Asian gardeners use the same copy and just change their
name and phone numbers.

tlc1994
04-05-2012, 10:46 PM
tlc? Where you from? Fresno?
Posted via Mobile Device

North SD County.