PDA

View Full Version : Other options besides a Trailer???????

lc41
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
To get right to the point, I'm starting up my lawn care business. I'm doing everything legally, and my question is,

I'll be focusing mainly on small residential jobs. I'll be using a Lawnmower, edger, and blower.

I currently drive a 2007 Impala, and I really need to figure out how I'm going to transport the equipment. It's not much, but I need to

1. Look professional
2. Carry the equipment safely

I don't have the money to buy a van or truck, and I'm not going to take out a loan to do so.. Anyone have any ideas??

Landrus2
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Just kidding

gasracer
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Try another line of work..

Landrus2
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Ok if you stay around your house just walk with the equipment. but if you have to travel just sell your impala and get a small pick up truck that would be your best option.

Lefet
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Not an easily answered question. Are you employed elsewhere? Why start now? What kind and how large equipment do you have?
Selling the car and getting a truck sounds like the best solution. depending on the mower you could at least get ramps and get it on the bed of the truck until you're able to get a trailer. I wouldn't consider someone who pulled up to maintain my lawn "professional" in an Impala.
Although I've seen worse

lc41
02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
here's the thing, before i get a lot of crap for the post i made, I do get that a trailer or truck is key. the thing is, i'm on a very tight budget and just can't afford it..

I have a full time job in the morning hours, and i make enough to slide by check by check. it's simply not enough to live comfortably. no chance for a raise, and the pay is honestly terrible.

i've done lawn care in the past and know the basics. i mow, i edge, i clean up good. basic lawn care. that's all i plan on doing.

small residential homes for extra income is what i plan on doing, and if it expands, great.

obviously, i can't lug around a lawn mower in an impala, so what i'm asking is,

if anyone has ever been in my situation starting out, how have you overcome? i'm not looking for a magic solution, i'm just looking for advice on anything you did to get by.

thanks.

WOW
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
http://www.pedicabforum.com/photopost/data/514/flatbedDSCN4521large.jpg

gasracer
02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
You don't seem like you have the resources to do this the right way. That is why I said what i did in my last post. We have trucks,trailers and the equipment set up for our needs.
You could do like a guy said in another post he put a trailer behind his car. I wouldn't hire someone who showed up with a mower in there car or pulling a trailer with there car with a walmart mower on it. Being professional means spending the money to do so.

THERE IS NO MAGIC SOLUTION!

doubleedge
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
The best option is to sell the car and buy an older truck; there is really nothing you could do with the car to look "professional."

Landrus2
02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.pedicabforum.com/photopost/data/514/flatbedDSCN4521large.jpg

that one rock's

93Chevy
02-16-2011, 05:56 PM
If you're on such a "tight" budget, how could you afford a 2007 Impala? When I hear "tight budget," I don't think nice family sedan, I think 1992 Honda Accord.

Sell the car and buy and older pickup and keep everything in the back. I did that for a year. It sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

What about finding a part-time second job? That would at least be income that you "realize" instead of trying to grow a business and end up having more expenses than you have now and end up worse off.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you gotta change your perspective if you want to be successful.

93Chevy
02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
that one rock's

Grammar police: The "s" doesn't belong to the "rock."

That one rocks.

Sorry. Improper apostrophe usage gets under my skin.

dishboy
02-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Grammar police: The "s" doesn't belong to the "rock."

That one rocks.

Sorry. Improper apostrophe usage gets under my skin.

Grammer police; capitalizing "The" when not at the beginning of a sentence is a stupid mistake for a self described expert of the English language. So called experts who make mistakes correcting others cracks me up. Carry on. Please don't correct my grammar as I don't give a RA.

brianslawncare
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
go to harbor freight and buy a trailer. i think they sell 4x8 tilt for 300. or buy a trailer hitch and a hitch haul and put youre mower on their.

chance213
02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Look I understand your lookin for extra cash but its people like you who give some of us out here a bad name. All thats gonna happen is you getting started, falling down on your rear, and one of us having to come in clean up your mess all at the same time trying to make a penny on it. Your probally gonna low ball the price to begin with. My best answer for you would be if you dont have the proper tools to start right or on a tight budget dont do this. If you do its gonna take some money out of your own pocket. Sad to say i started with a S-10 4x4 an a 5x8 trailer with 2 walkbehind mowers. wasnt the best setup but i started small Five years later Im running 2 maintence crews and 2 construction crews. I put about 95% of the money made right back into it.

93Chevy
02-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Grammer police; capitalizing "The" when not at the beginning of a sentence is a stupid mistake for a self described expert of the English language. So called experts who make mistakes correcting others cracks me up. Carry on. Please don't correct my grammar as I don't give a RA.

You're right. Stupid mistake on my end.

Pull me over.

But if you're going to correct me it should be "Grammar police: capitalizing etc..."

So thanks for at least sticking to your own rules. Oh never mind.

Pressedun
02-17-2011, 02:33 AM
You're right. Stupid mistake on my end.

Pull me over.

But if you're going to correct me it should be "Grammar police: capitalizing etc..."

So thanks for at least sticking to your own rules. Oh never mind.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mow4cash
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Who cares about looking professional...hook a trailer to that impala and show up in style. Drive the mower to the jobs with a trailer attached to it. You have to start somewhere. I personally would sell the car and pick up a cheap truck.

jimezcuts
02-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Cut close by. You are not going to be able to pick up anything really nice until you look professional. Put back as much of the money as you can and buy a truck. There are a lot of people on here who have been exactly where you are. Don't spend money buying things that your accounts can pay for and still leave you money to expand with. I'm glad you are putting an effort into going about it the right way. That's the only way you'll ever be truly successful. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I would say if you know alot about landscaping then try to hook up with a landscaper in your area working part time after your other job. See if you can just work afternoons and saturdays. That will put extra money in your pocket, or money to put towards your (new to you) equipment.

There are alot of guys who think they can mow lawns for $25 each and think that if they get 10 lawns thats an extra $250 a wk or $1000 a month. Figure in gas for your mower and trimmer, wear and tear on your Impala. If you get a small trailer, that will put alot of wear and tear on the car, they are not designed to pull and stop a trailer on a regular basis. Plus insurance, General Liability, and Commercial Auto, business liceanse. The cost quickly add up and that $1,000 a month extra income is a lot less now.

But what ever you do be sure to get your liceanses and insurance

32vld
02-18-2011, 09:43 PM
go to harbor freight and buy a trailer. i think they sell 4x8 tilt for 300. or buy a trailer hitch and a hitch haul and put youre mower on their.

I have a jeep pulling a harbor freight trailer. Put down a plywood floor and made nice looking cedar sides, stained the wood, then thompsons sealer. Looks good.

A neat, clean, organized trailer says professional.