PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer Maintenance

Forever Green Landscaping
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
1. What kind of maintenance do you/should be done every year on a dump trailer?

2. Any ideas on the cause of this problem? At the end of the year I had a problem with the trailer locking up randomly while driving. If I got out and took the plug out and put it back in it released. The last time it happened I did the same thing and it released then locked up again a few moments later.

deere615
02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
check the brakes I usually just replace the whole assembly alot easier with all the springs in there and such. keep it painted from rusting keep the battery charged, make sure tires/lights are always good, always check the brakeaway kit. Thats pretty much the major stuff

Landrus2
02-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Just take it for inspection

Landrus2
02-16-2011, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Forever Green Landscaping;3897599]1. What kind of maintenance do you/should be done every year on a dump trailer?

2. Any ideas on the cause of this problem? At the end of the year I had a problem with the trailer locking up randomly while driving. If I got out and took the plug out and put it back in it released. The last time it happened I did the same thing and it released then locked up again a few moments later.[/QUOTE

Do you have a brake controller?

Forever Green Landscaping
02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes The brake controller works with it and on other trailers as well I bought it new and had had it for atleast 5 years now and thats the only problem I have encountered with it so far

deere615
02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes The brake controller works with it and on other trailers as well I bought it new and had had it for atleast 5 years now and thats the only problem I have encountered with it so far

not the controller the brake away kit incase the trailer would come loose. DOT will test that first if you get pulled over. but like someone else mentioned everyhthing I said is check at inspection

bighornjd
02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Grease... Grease all the pivot points and re-pack the hubs. Check the brakes and tires.

Sounds like you have a bad connection at the plug, you can take them apart and check/clean all the wire connections. Dielectric grease on the pins of plugs and sockets has solved all my trailer light and brake problems.

seabee1
02-17-2011, 12:35 PM
as far as the brake's randomly locking up ,i would check the brake signal wire from the plug (take apart) check for stray filament's of wire that can make contact with the other wire's especially if you have a 12 VT lead wired in to it to keep the break away battery charged up .check and see if the wire is frayed any were and make's contact when the trailer bounce's up an down or if it tilts to load .:)

stroker51
02-18-2011, 08:59 AM
At the first sign of light problems I replace the plug on whatever I suspect to have the problem, truck or trailer. It seems like on the trucks we wind up changing a plug once a year or so, they all plow snow and no matter how good they are sealed up seem to get moisture in them and corrode. Trailers, we get a little longer out of but plugs seem to cause a lot of problems for us.