PDA

View Full Version : Underdeck tool boxes

bobw
02-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm just setting up a new trailer (20' deck over) and I need to put a couple of tool boxes on it for chains and what not...

I want to go to under deck mounts. I"m sure most of you guys have them... so..

How hard are they to mount? Is it just better to pay someone?

Any brands to stay away from? Buyers seem pretty popular and seem not badly priced, but will they last?

Steel or aluminum?

Let's hear your thoughts..

skidsteer
02-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm just setting up a new trailer (20' deck over) and I need to put a couple of tool boxes on it for chains and what not...

I want to go to under deck mounts. I"m sure most of you guys have them... so..

How hard are they to mount? Is it just better to pay someone?

Any brands to stay away from? Buyers seem pretty popular and seem not badly priced, but will they last?

Steel or aluminum?

Let's hear your thoughts..

I know the thin steel one rust away pretty quick around here. We have always built our own out of 1/8" steel plate. I guess it depends how long they need to last and how much weight you intend to put in them. If you do custom manufacture yours Acklands offer some very nice weld on hinges that have grease zerks so the road salt won't seize the hinges.
Ken

J. Peterson Grading
02-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I personally like the Buyers boxes. They are a bit pricey, but we never have any trouble with them.

I don't like the RC brand boxes. IMO, they are made poorly, and don't seal up worth a crap. The rubber seals always seem to fail, letting water get inside and rust them from the inside out.

J.